Best RPTV for watching footy?

S600BYC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Been looking at the toshibas for ages (42pw23/33/36) and possibly the sony ps but want to know what there like for the football. Any opinions pointers greatly appreciated.

Probably a 50hz model I suppose. Toshiba do some lovely RPTVs with 50hz. The low brightness and contrast of RPTVs makes them better for flicker (i.e. less) than some smaller CRT sets.

My 100Hz Tosh 40" RP is fine for watching footy.

50Hz+(>=40" 16:9) = Headache/eyestrain :(

Originally posted by Kevo
My 100Hz Tosh 40" RP is fine for watching footy.

50Hz+(>=40" 16:9) = Headache/eyestrain :(

Can anyone verify whether this guy actually has a point or if he is just a 100hz owner talking out of his a@! because I am looking to get a 50hz model for watching films and footy.
By the way I actually think in terms of CRTs, that 50hz looks more natural than 100hz.

It's all to do with preference and how much you notice the 50Hz flicker. I notice it a LOT.

Also 100Hz is MUCH better for reading text, menus etc.

In all it's much more soothing on the old eyes.

So, no i'm not talking out of my a@! !

Originally posted by Kevo
It's all to do with preference and how much you notice the 50Hz flicker. I notice it a LOT.

Also 100Hz is MUCH better for reading text, menus etc.

In all it's much more soothing on the old eyes.

So, no i'm not talking out of my a@! !

Well thats why I was asking.
You stated that a 50hz 40 inch TV or above GIVES eyestrain/headache - yet many say they dont.
One thing I have noticed is that 100hz TVs do not provide natural images like 50hz TVs. They look too digitally artificial, if you know what I mean.

It's entirely up to you and what looks best to you.

But it's only when in it's set up in the comfort of YOUR own home under YOUR lighting conditions, watching YOUR fave TV progs, DVDs from YOUR ideal seating position, using YOUR quality SCART leads when you can truly appreciate it.

TBH, I didn't rate my TV that much in the showroom but took a chance as it didn't look too bad and the price was right.

But BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE when I got it set up at home.

100hz is nice but it softens the picture and you lose fine detail which is a consequence of 100hz. One of the best RPTVs ever was/is the 42PW23P and about the only rear pro that What Video ever gave 5/5 to. I think its available from Comet online for £850. Theres also a larger sony model available from them for £1000 which is 100hz. Probably worth checking out instore and then buying it cheaper online with the knowledge you have a local shop to sort out problems. Both are great sets with the Toshiba offering fine detail and zero artifacts and the Sony offering artifacts but no flicker and a bigger screen.

I've got one of the 50" Toshiba RPTV's with 100Hz here,and it works just fine on football(which I rarely watch),plus things which go much faster than footballs( which I watch much more often!) and with no signs of artefacts,or eye strain.

As a few people have said above,the best way to decide is to line up a few sets and watch some footie on each before deciding on a 50Hz set Vs a 100Hz model.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom