Best Router

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by paggy123, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. paggy123

paggy123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    apologise if this question has been answer many times in the forum but i coudlnt find a proper thread that i could refer to...

Can someone suggest me a router to replace my current Talktalk router(i am on fibre optics with them). I am looking for something with very good signal (its a 4 bed room house), able to impliment VPN on it, Able to connect my IP security cameras wireless , Able to connect NAS via Wifi and can support good speed for my gaming consoles(xbox) and streaming movies.

Can someone point me to good routers as i am confused...loads available in the market

thanks in advance

2. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I doubt any single router will completely fullfil your requirements. It sounds like you need better wifi coverage, something a single router can't fix.
    I can recommend Ubiquiti wifi access points, but they need to be hardwired to the router. Alternatively a wifi mesh system, such as Netgear Orbi would work.
    With VPN, you haven't specified if you want a VPN server (a way to securely connect to your home network) or a VPN client (you connect to a VPN provider).

3. psychopomp1

psychopomp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Based on your requirements, go for the Asus DSL-AC88U. Its a top end 4 stream Mu-Mimo router (so will be considerably better than an ISP supplied router for wifi coverage), and provided you don't have 1 metre thick walls it should give you complete wifi coverage - I have the Netgear X10 (also a 4 stream router) and it more than covers my 4 bedroom house. The Asus allows you to setup VPN server & client, so you're covered on that respect. Its not cheap at £210 from Amazon but like with most things in life you get what you pay for :)

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    There are very few client devices supporting 4x4 streams, and MU-MIMO is only just gaining traction.

5. psychopomp1

psychopomp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Whilst I agree there aren't many 4 stream clients around, MuMimo feature in routers has been out for a few years now and works fairly solidly now. Perhaps Broadcom didn't implement it properly at the beginning but Qualcomm certainly did it very well starting with the Linksys EA8500. Plenty of clients which support MuMimo: iphone 7/8/X, Samsung S8, Nvidia Shield TV box are just a few.