Best router for the plusnet monthly contract?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by Chrisharry12345, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Chrisharry12345

Chrisharry12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Im joining plusnet on a monthly contract and you have to buy your own router. Whats reccommended or do they all do the same job with little difference in performance?

Do any work particularly better with plusnet?

My speed will be around 2meg if that helps..?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. digitaria

digitaria
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Routers vary in features and performance. If you don't need advanced features, you don't need to worry about that aspect. Performance also varies, but there are multiple factors, such as the type of equipment used in your local exchange and the length / quality of your telephone line.

I have used a number of routers with Plusnet - Zyxel, TP-Link and a couple of Netgears. I would recommend the TP-Link TD-W8960N which is relatively inexpensive, but with good wireless and ADSL performance and a good feature set.

HTH

digitaria

3. Chrisharry12345

Chrisharry12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Many thanks

The alternative is get the standard one that they provide, is that any good?

Thanks

Chris

4. digitaria

digitaria
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't know which model they provide and they didn't provide me with a router many years ago when I joined Plusnet, so can't help - sorry.

5. lansing3uk

lansing3uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    are plusnet any good ?, i am thinking about joining them. i am not on an llu exchange. so 6-8mb max.

6. Chrisharry12345

Chrisharry12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    I have hered that they are good for lower speeds, they give a solid connection and for an extra fiver you can get 'priority traffic' so your speed doesnt slow down at peak times :)

7. Dear Mr Echo

Dear Mr Echo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A bit late to the thread but here goes if anyone finds it relevant...

I've been with PlusNet for a few years and find them pretty good. We live in a semi rural area notoriously poorly served by internet connectivity... in fact the village is cut in two and we're on what would be considered 'the good side' as far as broadband is concerned, but even so my speeds only hover around 3.0 - 3.5mb (friend over the road is with BT and gets around 4mb). This might seem small by a lot of standards but it is much improved from the sub 1mb speeds I was getting around 2 years ago. But the connection with PlusNet is pretty solid and consistent and doesn't waver much between day and nighttime traffic... obviously a main factor is the relatively small number of users where we live and even the exchange is in a very small town.

I had a serious problem with the connection dropping last year but PlusNet CS were very on the ball about getting Openreach engineers to check out and fix the fault on the line.

My main gripe with PlusNet is that they do not tell you when new products/tariffs are available and they will keep you on your old tariff when a cheaper one with similar or better spec is available... so you have to keep checking what they are offering to make sure you're on the best tariff available.

I've just been on the phone to them about this this morning and have changed tariff. As part of that change I could get a new router (£4.99 p&p) so I asked which one they are currently sending out and apparently it's a Thomson TG 585v7... which is a 4 year old model with not much in the way of good reviews. So I declined.

Hope this helps some folks.

8. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +760
    I've been with Plus Net for about 8 years and they have been very good , only a few problems, which have been sorted quickly.

Last problem I had was when we upgraded to ADSL2+, turned out my router was not compatible with 2+ (DG834 V1), I changed it for a V4 and alls been well since.