Best route for audio.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by alex30, Feb 4, 2014.

1. alex30

alex30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone can give me good advice, based on a knowledge of electronics, about how best to send the audio of my videos played on my PC to my speakers when watching the videos on my TV.
    At present I have my PC connected to the TV with an HDMI cable and the TV connected to a DAC with a SPDIF cable to provide the DAC with a digital audio signal. The DAC is then connected to my amp which feeds the speakers.
    An alternative would be to connect the TV to the PC with the HDMI cable but to send a digital signal direct to the DAC from the PC by using a USB cable and so bypassing the TV with the audio signal.
    I just wonder if this confers any benefits due to there being less circuitry in the audio path.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Thread moved

Curly

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    Audio quality would be exactly the same if using digital conveyance. If sent by HDMI, S/PDIF optical or USB then it is the exact same digital data. HDMI can convey a wider selection of formats including HD formats that S/PDIF cannot, but you've nothing that can take advantage of this anway. TVs cannot decode, handle or passthrough HD formats and you are simply dealing with 2 channel stereo anyway. Simply doing as you already do is as good as the alternatives you propose.

4. alex30

alex30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi dante01,
    Thank you for the very precise answer. Based on your advice I will carry on as I am. I was just wondering if the TV may be degrading the audio signal as it is in the pathway when feeding it via the HDMI cable rather than bypassing it by going direct to the DAC from the PC.
    Thanks again.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    Digital audio isn't audio as such and simply a digital signal consisting of ones and zeros. One digital device simply repeats the same exact digital data so degradation doesn't occur like it may while passing analogue signals. Think of it as being like when you send an email, you don't get an inferior email simply because it has passed through several servers on it way to you and it was sent as digital data that is exactly the same as when it was sent. The DAC would be where your audio ceases to be digital data anymore and becomes analogue.

6. alex30

alex30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Dante01,
    Thanks again for an easily understood explanation. I will now be able to play via the TV in the knowledge I am getting the best out of my setup.
    Regards Alex.