1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best RGB to VGA converter

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by candg, Oct 3, 2003.

1. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to get the best pictue possible from my TIVO via RGB into my Panny 5. Which of the following 2 options would be the best ?

The Keene SYNCBLASTER BLACK BOX RGB PROCESSOR

or this

http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/

Graham

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    I would, and have gone with the box from www.rgbtosvideo.com
    It gives an excellent picture from my TiVo to Panny plasma.

Mark.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    Hello Graham

The JS Technology converters have proven time and again to be the most reliable, flexible and least disruptive RGB converters on the market.

On top of which the good Dr John will bend over backwards to help out customers encountering any technical difficulties - mostly not due to his converters it has to be said; but he still sorts everyone out without charging for his valuable time.

You have two options:

RGB2VGA - for a direct connection to the Display via its HD15 or 5XBNC (or RCA) Component input.

RGB2YUV - for a direct connection to the display on 3xBNC (or RCA) Component input or via an AV amp if you have multiple YUV inputs.

The RGB2VGA is very slightly the better of the two - though you loose some of the picture user menu adjustable parameters that you get with YUV.

Best regards

Joe

PS Decent quality cables are a must have if you want to optimise your Digibox signal.

PPS Going RGB2YUV also has the potential for adding something like an iScan Ultra video deinterlacer to your system at a later date.

4. adewatson

adewatson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the JS Tech RGB to component converter also running with a Panasonic PW5.

I bought the component rather than the RGB to VGA on the grounds that if you've gone this far with your plasma the likeliehood will be that at some point in the future you'll add a scaler such as Iscan or the like.

These require component inputs in the main so a good bit of future proofing.

I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with the performace of the JS Tech product and would thoroughly recommend them.

5. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting really confused here now...thought I had it sussed and was going to go for the RGB to vga converter from JS. Have checked out the Iscan ultra...how would these 2 things work together ?

What REAL benefit would I notice from the iscan gizmo. Am I right in thinking that it converts all inputs to progressive scan ?

Graham

PS the TMF website is not working...was looking forward to getting some info from there on the iscan

6. adewatson

adewatson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham

What you will notice over time is that the signal from digital tv, Cable or SKY is an interlaced signal and unless the bitrate for the broadcast (signal quality in simple terms) is high then any artefacts or distortion will be amplified by the screen size.

You are right to assume that the IScan will indeed convert interlaced signals to progressive and although you may be happy initially it is widely accepted that progressive signals help quality on a larger screen.

As your Panny 5 is equipped to take a progressive feed you may want to do this in future. If you buy a JSTech RGB-VGA converter you will not be able to input a signal to IScan.

All I'm saying is if, like me, you get the upgrade bug regularly then it would make sense to go for the RGB-Component JStech converter as this will subsequently work with an IScan or many of the other scalers available.

Regards

Adrian

7. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments Adrian...much appreciated...I think I understand now. The problem is that I am using the Component inpute for the DVD player at present....but I do understand your comments about upgrading...and yes I have the upgrade bug.

I have a VERY complex setup here and trying to get my head around it. I can post the details of my setup here if anyone is interested..it might help me a lot. Warning though !! it is VERY complicated.

Graham

8. adewatson

adewatson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fire away Graham always interested to see what other people have set up.

9. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adrian...and anyone else interested

I have posted my system and problem under new thread nightmare installation

Any comments at all would be really appreciated

Graham