1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best resolution from PC to Viera PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Flystar, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I am new to this forum and would like to thank all for help in deciding which plasma to buy. Today I am the proud owner of a Panasonic Viera TH42PE30 :clap: and would like to know if I have connected my PC to it for the sharpest picture available.

I have purchased a 5 metre VGA cable and am outputing from my Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200. I notice in the reviews etc. that the TV takes 720p through the pc VGA connection only. I have therefore set resolution to 1280 x 720 (@ 60htz). I have been playing games like Counter-Strike Source in widescreen and they take up the full picture and look amazing, PC monitor perfect!! However, when surfing the net in this resolution I notice that the odd few lines of text on each page a bit blurry but still readable.

When I set the resolution to 848 x 480 (my graphics card doesn't do 852 x 480) the sharpness of the text etc. is a bit clearer and I get no blurry lines but the games do not look as good at this lower resolution. I notice that the native resolution of the TV is 1024 x 768 and although I can play games in this res, it is not true widescreen and 1280 x 720 looks crisper. Someone mentioned using Powerstrip but why do I need this if I can output 1280 x 720 anyway?

Could anyone advise as to the best resolution and refresh rate to choose. Also, could the length of my VGA cable be causing slight quality issues when surfing?

Many thanks for your help

Fly