Best Remote Tried So Far? RTI T2-C

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by charris cy, May 2, 2007.

1. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have tried several remotes and brands over the last months and I finally came to a brand that nobody is, at least in this forum, talking about!!!

RTI in my opinion beats head down the URC, Philips, Nevo and Harmony products.

To be fair Harmony is not in this product territory. I have an 895 but I have used it for only 1 month since I found the features very limited. But the price is exellent.

RTI are easy to the end user because thay have all the components needed to make a very complex system easy to operate by anyone. And to do this you need RF capability, central processors, voltage and video sensors, RS232, relays, powerful software and other advance features. The only thing missing si bi-directional control (feedback back to the remotes so that you know the status of equipment or if a command has been carried out) but this will be resolved later this year with the new XP-8 processor. You can start from a single ir remote and upgrade to a fully automated home with rf control and touchpanels on the walls. The only two better in this game are AMX and Crestron which are unlimited powerful, but they cost more. Note thought that the RTI remotes can be integrated with an AMX/Crestron automation system.

The kind of similar products available are the following:

Pronto Profesional: quite powerful with the expensive processor but still no two way rs232. Needs two hand to operate. Very good resolution screen. No other remotes or wall touchscreens available to connect to the processor to expand the system for the whole house.

Universal Remote Control Pro Products: can be as powerful as RTI and the new processor offers 2 way rs232 control. There are a lot of dealers at remote central though that are complaining about their RF (a lot of interference) and are switching to RTI. No wall touchscreens available to connect to the processor to epxand the system for the whole house.

Nevo Sl: good looking remote but the nevo link only offers ir control of equipment and limited ethernet control (can almost control the Sonos system!). No other remotes or wall touchscreens available to connect to the processor to expand the system for the whole house.

Have in mind that the RTI products are only available through authorised dealers as is the software. Even if you manage to get a hold of the software it is better to leave the programming to an authorised experienced programmer that knows what he is doing and will make sure that your system becomes very eay to operate by anyone.

Also the new T2C in my opinion is the best 1-hand remote with hard buttons available even considering the ones from AMX and Crestron. In fact a lot of installers are integrating them in their Crestron/AMX automation setups.

2. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am using at home a T1, T2+, T2-C and T3 and 3 RP-6 with RF433 processors in 3 different rooms. The big advantage of these remotes is their excellent RF coverage. And even though I have a whole house Rako Lighting system installed that operates on the same frequency, there is no interference between the two systems.

Also all of the macros are stored in the processors so what the remote is sending to them is just an RF trigger not the whole macro. This makes them almost 100% reliable.

The processors can accept unlimited numbers of remotes and two or more processors can be connected together. Also two or more RF-433 can be connected to one processor for larger RF coverage.

The processors except from ir commands, can also send serial (rs232) commands, switch relays and sense video or voltage inputs/outputs so that they know in what state the equipment is.

Here are some screenshots from my RT-2C and RT-3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I prefer the T2-C (pic above) to the T3 because of the hard buttons for common commands.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    interesting i have been looking at the RTI emotes but the T2-C is twice price of the 895 without any RF extension is teh T2-C WiFI enabled? or is just the big T4? I thought the T2-C was bit large when i held one not easy to reach all the buttons one handed certainly not as easy as an 895 or 785 harmony do you have the software? what do you think of it compared to pronto and harmony?

4. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Only the T4 is wi-fi enabled. Probably the K4 as well.

I really like the T2-C and T3. Especially the T2-C because of the hard buttons but it also has a large touchscreen as well. It looks quite big when you see it for the first time but when you use it is very comfortable. Everything can be done with one hand except when you want to use the touchscreen. The same stands for the T2+.

I also have here a Pronto Pro TSU-9600 with an RFX9600 and a Harmony 895.

The Harmony looked powerful when I first started using it. But gradually it showed a lot of weeknesses. Bear in mind that my system is quite complicated ( projector and plasma in LR) and I am also controlling the lights, climate control, opening doors using relays and I am now trying to integrate an alarm system. Also I am doing multi-room commands.

From what I remember what I didn't like about the harmony are these:

The touchscreen is not customizable.

No RS232, relays or voltage and power sensors.

The software is a mess. It is web based and to make even the smallest change it takes a lot of times. I hated the software.

The RF extender can connect to only one remote. Is this still true?

When I tried to control lights and climate control it became really difficult because for these you need customizable interfaces which the Harmony does not provide. Also with the RTI remote I might be in an activity (e.g satellite on projector) but with by pressing a button on the touchscreen I can get to the lights or climate pages and adjust what I want there and then go back to my activity page.

Also the Harmony was not always reliable on the complex macros. Sometime commands were not executed. Everyhing RF based. As I explaind the RTI systems store everything on the processor and the remotes just send RF triggers to the processor, not the whole macro.

Generally, I found that the Harmony is ok for a simple AV system (e.g one plasma or one projector and some sources). But if you want to control more complex systems and expand later into home automation then it is not powerful enough. Also the software is very slow and is a mess in my opinion.

The Pronto on the other hand is quite powerful. And the software is very good and fast. There is still no two way rs232. What I do not like is that it needs two hand to operate. Very good resolution screen. The big limitation for me though is that no other remotes or wall touchscreens are available to connect to the processor to expand the system for the whole house. Also the 2 hand operation is a big limitation for me.

I have the RTI soft and I can say it is the best remote software I have used. Maybe only the URC one comes close. It is everything drag and drop and you have libraries where you can save your ir codes and the images. You can also create custome button and images if you want.

With the introduction of the XP-8 processor and 2 way control the RTI system can become really powerful I think, and close, although not too close!!!, to what the big boys (Crestron/AMX) can do.

Another advantage that I see is that the RTI remotes can be used, using RF of course, in an AMX or Crestron system. So if you plan to go for the best one day, then at least the expensive remotes you already have will be compatible with that.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Hmm well the 895 isnt designed for whole house control but it will happily run lighting dual displays and more the limitation of a £300 bit of harware is obvious its half the cost of the T2-C already before you add any more bits, the idea of a cetral processor is appealing in some ways if you are doing things like door operation you have gone far far beyonds the harmonies remit (but still possible) the pronto on the other hand TSU-9600 at £800 for the remote and £400 for RS232 extender is in the same ball park pricewise you seem to assume that crestron/AMX are "the best" which is debatable they have serious limitations in certain aspects and at their cost it isnt really the remote which should dictate the operation what is possible with a full cotrol system and what is necassary are very different. I havent programmed an RTi yet but hope to perhaps in the future i have programmed a hell of a lot of harmonies which gives me an advantage and prontos 9600 included. If you are trying turn a host of stanalone components into the system then this seems a decent way of doing so the alternative is to have a system and control it with a bunch of handsets/touch panels etc can you tell me if the T4 can can run flash in a browser? As this would be very handy and if it can would in the right hands put it into Crestron functionality but a whole lot cleverer

6. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What limitations can you find in Crestron and AMX setups?

I am assuming that AMX/Crestron are the best because I have seen what they can do and I compared them extensively to other control systems and even pc software systems. Of course their price is a very big problem.

The T4 can not run flash in the browser. I am waiting to get one till the 2 way models are out.

What I know is that RTI plan to introduce flash support to their remotes soon. Please see this thread: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-touch/thread.cgi?keywords=1697&highlight=flash

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    THe main limitations are cost and wiring Cresnet isnt easy nor cheap and the technology is rather old and reliability is an issue especially considering the price, Crestron reconmend a "back upprocessor be installed in case the main one goes down which they can with frightening regularity there are disadvantages to all system but at the price of crestron reliability isnt one i would want technologicaly its old and quite inflexible i am sure they will have IP infrastructure but its not there yet. WIth everying miving from RS232 to TCP/IP crestron gets more expensive when it should get cheaper

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,393
    I know this is an ancient thread (1921 days old!) but a quick question for anyone in the know. Does the T2-C rattle when you shake it? I've been told there's a tiny ball bearing inside which is there for the remote wake-up function. Is this true? :)

If someone could put me out of my misery it would be appreciated!

Thanks

9. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    It's sounds very plausible. The original Pronto used a mercury tilt-switch, but after the use of mercury was banned, the tilt-switch consisted of a magnet and ball bearing. I think this method is quite common amongst remotes requiring a wake up function as it's a neat, cheap solution; it's either that method or an accelerometer.