Best remote for MPC (iPad, iPhone, Harmony?)

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by blizeH, Jan 4, 2012.

1. blizeH

blizeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi all,

I currently watch everything on my Acer Revo 3610 through regular Windows Explorer, since I find it loads much quicker than XBMC, and going to /TV Show/Series/Episode/ (for example) is a *lot* easier than waiting for XBMC to load and navigating through the menus.

But I'm now wondering, with these three devices at my disposal, is there a better alternative to the old keyboard and mouse setup?

I was wondering if I could use my Logitech Harmony somehow, so if for example I wanted to pause the show I'm watching, I could simply press pause on the remote and job done. It'd be a lot easier than constantly turning the mouse on and off anyway. But then I'd still need to navigate through to load the show using the mouse, hmm.

So that got me thinking, is there any easy implementation say on the iPhone/iPad that would let me browse through just a certain directory, and then selecting the file would make it load up on the TV? And once the file is open, I have the regular play/pause/volume controls? That'd probably be my ideal outcome, to select from a list of files on there and it show up on the TV, with controls.

Any suggestions would be very welcome, thanks!

2. Geoffki

Geoffki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi blizeH
    I use a Harmony 700 with my Revo no problem, you will need an IR receiver, buy a cheap media centre remote from Amazon and call it an Ortec VRC-1100 in the Harmony devices setup.

3. alz2605

alz2605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Mobile Mouse is great little app for iPhone or iPad. Acts as a mouse pad, keyboard and has some remote control options too. There's a free lite version to try out before committing to purchase but think the price is only £2 anyway for the full version. There's also a file viewer too.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. blizeH

blizeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    £49 for an IR receiver? Jeeez! I never knew it'd cost almost as much as that, looks like it needs an external power supply too?! :S Geoffki, how do you use your remote out of interest? Purely to play, pause etc? Or do you somehow select what you want to watch too?

And thanks alz, I have LogMeIn Ignition which seems very similar I think? Although it doesn't have the file browser option, hmm....

5. blizeH

blizeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just ordered a £3 IR receiver from Ebay - hopefully it'll work okay :)

Going to try LogMeIn later too on the iPad, and also the free version of AirMouse, thanks again guys.

Still curious though, what's the best software to use on the HTPC to view these shows etc? I find XBMC to be very slow and clunky on a Revo, and again, the interface isn't as intuitive/quick as just going through explorer from experience.

6. blizeH

blizeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry to be a pain but could a mod please change 'MPC' to 'HTPC' in the title? Seems I may need to look beyond Media Player Classic right now.

7. Geoffki

Geoffki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My system has a Revo bolted to the back of my TV, an AV amp , DVD and freeview box. I use Windows Media Center to record TV via a USB tuner and Tuner free as a plug in to access I-player, 4od etc and use the harmony for controling everything. I purchased this remote Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    for it's IR receiver I tried others but it appears that they have to be MCE compatible to work, also by having the remote you can teach the Harmony any extra commands, I leave the Revo on all the time in sleep mode (cost 2p/day) so as to catch series record and films that are shown at night. The only time I use the mouse / keyboard is when the Revo is in "computer mode" ie:- not often.

8. blizeH

blizeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Many thanks, I've ordered an IR receiver and will try to program it with my Harmony. Seems like XBMC or MCE is the way forward here, unsure which I'll opt for, whichever is smoother and has best support for 720p/1080p I guess...

9. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I found Harmonys frickin annoying. Some equipment uses one signal for on AND off so it reverses its current state. The 885 sends out an on command every time I change from Xbox to 7MC for example, as the Projector is already on, it cycles it off!

VERY annoying if your display device is a projector as they have cool down and warm up times. :mad:

I've gone back to using the original equipment remotes as they *just work*.

10. tredman

tredman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    They don't have to send out the on & off command on evey change.

Mine switches my tv on when I select an activity and everything is already off - thereafter it just selects the correct input on change of device - unless you hit the off button.

Think you may have had your set up incorrectly.

11. blizeH

blizeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Think tred is right, I had similar problems at first but once it's setup you'll struggle without it

Which is exactly why I'd like an easy way to control the HTPC with it :)

12. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    It is possible! :D Honestly can't be arsed now though, happy using the individual remotes (amp, PJ and 7MC)

13. tredman

tredman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    Individual remotes fell short of the WAF.

Got fed up of phone calls when I was working away blaming me because she couldn't get to the films... Harmony is pretty much the only solution.

That said there is a CEC adaptor (i think its called) which will allow control of xbmc via an av receiver or tv remote down the hdmi link (think regzalink/braviasync) waiting for reports before I look into these.