Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at a remote for my soon to be completed setup

Samsung 42" TV
Sky+ HD
Panasonic BD35
Denon 1610
Apple TV

All the kit, apart from the AppleTV will be in normal IR range of seating position.
The Apple TV is hidden away in a cupboard and so will need a RF extender.

I will also want to use a IR dimmer switch for the light. I will also need to control an remote socket from the B&Q Home Easy range, which is RF.

So, any idea's please?

I'm thinking at the moment, something from the Harmony range with RF, but will these cope with the RF socket as well as the harmony RF extender?

Hi.
The Harmony models that use RF don't use it to control RF devices. They convert the IR commands to RF and send that to the Extender which converts it back to IR for sending to the devices either direct or by cabled emitters.
As you have only one device that is out of line of sight those models might be more than you need. Any standard IR extender would work with any Harmony remote to control it.
Some lighting equipment comes with IR remote control, which the Harmony can take over.
There are also some IR controllable power sockets, to which the same applies.
Logiciel

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware you won't be able to control the Homeeasy stuff with the Harmony.

The only remotes that I know of that can do so out the box, are the "Pronto/Marantz" remotes, and then only those slightly older ones with the "old fashioned RF" ie the Pronto RU950/960/970/980/990 amd the Marantz RC5200/5400/9200/9500. They use the 433Mhz RF, the newer Prontos/Marantz use WiFi. (mine work fine with Homeeasy)

I have managed to get the older non RF Prontos (older than those above) to control the homeeasy stuff by using the Homeeasy codes and then one half of a powermid setup - ie the part that turns your IR into the RF (Sender unit?). So you may be able to get a Harmonty to do that if you can get the codes into it - I think you can send logitech the hex codes.

I don't know much about Harmony but users on here all seem to say the company is proactive at helping put new codes on your remote!

Hope that helps

(Typed at same time as Logiciel's answer)

Stoobie

Last edited:
thanks both for the answers...

I wasn't sure if the Harmonys were able to control RF equipment.
IR is out of the question for me as the socket i will need to control is out of sight.

I might have a look at the Pronto remotes - thanks Stoobie!

cor blimey guv'na :eek:

Those Pronto's ain't cheap are they!!

Don't think i'd get that one past the missus :thumbsdow

Will have to settle for a harmony and come up with something else for the remote socket :thumbsup:

With that very expensive exception there are no universal remote controls that control devices which use RF for their original remote controls.
Some Harmonys use IR-RF-IR Extenders to allow control IR devices that are out of line of sight, and as I said there some dimmers and sockets that are IR controllable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom