Best Region-free Supplier

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tim Ingman, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where's the best place to buy a new region-free Toshiba 220E at a good price? I've dealt with Techtronics in the past and wasn't impressed with their service when I had problems, and Home Cinema Heaven don't advertise this player. There seems to be a lot of other small suppliers, but which is best?

2. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www. leconcepts.com

Bought 2 DVD players from them (Toshiba SD-9000 and Pioneer DV-747A)

Good service and will beat any price from rival web-sites

3. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,497
  4. Cyber Spawn

Cyber Spawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Try www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/

Ordered my Sony NS405 from them 4pm... it arrived 8am the next morning.

Very good player... able to play all discs without any problems.

Spoke to them a few times afterwards about general setup questions... extremely helpful..

6. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am the same as you - looking to buy a 220e, but was also considering techtronics. Now you have me scratching my head.

The only thing is: MAKE SURE YOU GET THE version 1.4 FIRMWARE INSTALLED as players with only the 1.3 experience problems with certain DVDs.

I know Tectronics have the new firmware installed but I am not sure how many others do...

7. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the www.leconcepts.com site it says their tosh sd-220's have firmware 1.5 so they are Matrix etc ready

8. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23,632
    Hi,

I got my sis one from multiregionmagic, and it is fine, plays RCE no probs. They gave my delivery charge back, as i got it a day late than promised, well i had to ask them first.

rai

9. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Along the lines of this topic, I wanna get my player in England as it's quite a bit cheaper than here. I have a friend staying in Derby but I'm not sure if he can get it posted to his house coz he is living on campus. So does anybody know of any good places near Derby where I could pick one up? Techtronics is in Thurlby near Bourne, is that anywhere near Derby?

10. mrbluesky

mrbluesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also looking to buy the Toshiba sd220
    am thinking of buying it from Richer sounds
    £119.95 Region 2 or
    £144.95 Multi-region

www.richersounds.com

11. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have looked around a bit and I think they have the best price at the moment. However, if you preferred another supplier they will often price match or beat.

PeterL

12. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just recently got a Tosh SD510E from http://www.webelectricals.co.uk and they were fantastic. Cheapest price and the deliver next day for free. I got mine in under 24 hours :D

The do the player you are after here

Hope this of some help

Paul

13. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Try richersounds at nottingham or stoke on trent - or for about a tenner more sevenoakes at nottingham

obviously both are 10-30 mins from derby

cheers Sarge

14. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's this? Firmware 1.5? I have firmware 1.4 and have had no problems. What do you mean "Matrix etc ready"?

What do you know that I don't! Is there a problem with Matrix on 1.4?

15. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peter, I am 99.9% certain that v1.4 firmware and later on the Toshiba SD220 is "Matrix ready". You can always check with Toshiba directly.

By the way, the Toshiba technical site now has a PDF version of the SD220 manual if you wanted to have a backup copy. About a 3.5MB download.

Best regards,
    PeterL

16. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked on Richer Sounds website this evening and they have now dropped the price of their Toshiba SD220's (Black or Silver) by a further £10 to £134.95.

This has to be the lowest price around isn't it? Whilst they say on their site some of the offers are exclusive to web customers they also say that they will match the price instore if you say where you saw it. This is where you can see it on their site:

http://www.richersounds.com/cgi-bin/productInfo.cgi?sid=ea24dc560.123456&productID=5888

Has anyone else bought this model from Richer Sounds and do you know if which firmware version they are selling (re: documented branching problems with earlier versions)?

Thanks PeterL

17. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Catch is though, they're all out of stock, and seem to have been for quite a while. If they get them back I'm def gonna find out about the firmware. Maybe that's why they're out of stock, waiting for new ones from the Toshies.

18. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds don't deliver to outside mainland Britain. This really sucks, I'm never gonna get my 220. I don't suppose anybody wants to buy and post a DVD player across to me?

After searching around, Techtronics look the cheapest for p&p, but some of you guys have said they're dodgy when it comes to service, so I dunno what to do...

19. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've used them with no problems - doesn't matter which retailer someones posts up - somebody would have had a problem ..

20. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info....bought a silver one fro LEConcepts (£169 + £10 next day delivery - now reduced to £159 I see - damn!!!).

Spoke to them first - seem to know what they are talking about re firmware versions etc. Apparently 1.5 has only been available for a couple of weeks. I came to the conclusion that it's not worth trying to save an extra £10 or £20 pounds and then worry if you have the latest software or not........

21. mrbluesky

mrbluesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Just recevie this E-mail from Richersounds about Firmware

Dear Sir.

Thank you for your e-mail. I am not personally aware of the problem or whether the upgrade will be in our machines. My best suggestion is to try Service 020 7378 6590 or Tridek if Service cannot assist. Tridek is on : 0117 904 6733.

I hope this helps.

22. spark

spark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer sounds have absolutely no idea about the firmware issue. Been to both the Wolverhampton and Birmingham shop and just got blank stares when I mentioned it. Their prices are good, but nothing is ever in stock, their website never gets updated, and their advice sucks and is biased.

Only good if you know exactly what you're after and they happen to have it in stock.

23. mrbluesky

mrbluesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I agree
    Thinking of getting one from Leading Edge they are selling it for
    £159.99 but they have it in stock

From their web site
    "Special Note: All Toshiba SD220e DVD Players we carry are 'Matrix Friendly,' that is they carry at least a firmware 1.50 or higher and thus do not have an issue with branching"

24. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do they mean? I have 1.4 and i thought it was Ok

25. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know 1.4 is ok. I only heard about 1.5 when LE decided to make it up. I'm going to go with dvdplayers.co.uk as their shipping is cheaper. They're only 1.4...

26. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brought The Matrix from CD Wow

Watched it with my 1.4 and it was perfect, if not better.

Where is the layer pause? I did not notice anything.

I am delighted with my player and the CD.

27. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peter

Glad to hear that all sounds as though it is OK. I expect it is if you have v1.4.

The problem with The Matrix and Planet of the Apes was not due to layer changing but due to branching to the next chapter half way through a chapter. The thing is, unless you are familiar with a film this can sometimes be very subtle that you may not notice it.

Both Planet of the Apes and The Matrix incorporate interactive features during the main film. Apes has a picture-in-picture and Matrix a "follow the white rabbit" option. Enable these and you see that just after the point where the pip or white rabbit pops up is the point where the DVD skips to the next chapter.

With regard to The Matrix the following is copied from a previous thread on the subject:

Chapter 10 is the give away if there is a problem. You get about 3 or 4 seconds before it skips to chapter 11. The only way to be sure however is to do a new skip to chapter 11 and check the time played as when watching the time played during one of these skips it seems like nothing has happened as the seconds move on as normal.

I think there is another scene near the start that also causes a problem. Something to do with the Trinity fight scene, as soon as Trinity runs around the wall, it skips about 15sec forward.

Anyway, hope this helps. Please let me know as having managed to negotiate a return and refund on my previous v1.3 I am on the verge of buying a new one (if they have any) from Richer Sounds.

Failing that, I may go for one of the new Pioneer DV-350's (are they remote hackable?) or a Lecson DVD-1000 (which I know is). Has anyone any experience of these two?

PeterL

28. mrbluesky

mrbluesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

See They are now showing the SD220 in stock?.

29. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this.

I found out yesterday that my local Richer Sounds (Boscombe) had a delivery in the morning, so went over lunchtime and bought one at £134.95. Although the shop price is £144.95 they agreed, as their website suggests, to match the price.

A multiregion Toshiba SD220 for £134.95 has to be the steal of the month, in fact probably the summer. :cool: By the way, it is v1.5 firmware too, so no problems as before.

By the afternoon they had sold out again, so sorry to anyone in the Bournemouth area who also wants one. It may be that they'll be getting more stock soon though, or try their other shops as word may not have got around.

Cheers, PeterL

30. David A

David A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I check the firmware of the Tosh?

Does it say on the box or does it need to be powered up and displayed on a screen.

Just thinking ahead to when I go to Richer Sounds and get met with blank stares! :(

Dave