1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Region for Buffy season 3?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by NicolasB, Aug 1, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Humph humph humph.

So we've got Region 1. It's the cheapest by some way, but it's NTSC and hence low-res. It's got some extra interviews, but it lacks all of the "previously on Buffy The Vampire Slayer" segments at the beginning of the shows.

£29.99 from futureent.com.

Region 2 is medium price, PAL, lacks the interviews, has the correct "previously" sections, but has a total of 8 seconds cut out. :mad:

£39.99 from CD-WOW.

Region 4 is as Region 2, but uncut, also lacks the interviews, but is substantially more expensive. (Over £50, I believe, although dvdpricecheck is helpfully down at the moment).

:eek::eek::confused::(

Someone tell me what to buy!

2. pete18

pete18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    it also depends on what other regions you have of buffy might be a bit odd having the nice book style cases for the other seasons and having one odd cardboard case (region 1)

from pete

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes the region two has been cut and it is annoying, but you have to keep it in perspective... 8 seconds out of 950 minutes is not a big deal!! - I am quite happy with the region two and would never have even known about the cut had someone not told me...
    Buy British! - Go for the region two! :D

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your a collector or a fan then 8 seconds is still 8 seconds of cuts.

Another point i would make is anyone who now buys region 2 knowing the cuts are there is in some small way supporting censorship and sending a clear message that hey guys you may cut our films and cut our fav tv shows but we're still buy them, this sends the wrong signal and personally i would buy region 1 as its an NTSC sourced show.

Buffy just happens to be my favourite television show too, hope sarah can be persuaded to do a spin off film or 2.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I disagree... Are you suggesting that if you don't care about the 8 second cut then you are not a true fan?! I have every series box-set of Buffy and Angel - I disapprove of censorship but I am not going to deny myself a DVD that I want just because 8 seconds have been cut out of 1 of 22 episodes!

The BBFC are not remotely interested in whether or not a film/dvd sells well in the shops - if people boycotted region two Buffy DVDs completely it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to them - they would still insist on the cut. It might however put Fox off the idea of releasing tv shows on DVD in region 2!

Just my two-penneth! :lesson: :)

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was simply suggesting if u didnt buy the region 2 and made your feelings known to Fox video and lots of people made there feelings known then perhaps Fox would up the rating and release the series uncut for everyone who is a fan to enjoy.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I wondered about that. Is the PAL recording actually a direct conversion of an NTSC recording? Or have both DVDs been separately remastered from the original 35mm film stock?

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the R1 and while an excellent value package on the whole, there are a couple of annoying things. Firstly the lack of previously on buffy bits, i like those and that's how I saw it on TV so I'd like those back.
    Secondly the first episode uses the old version (the one they used in s1 and s2) of the nerfherder theme tune for some reason which leaves that one title sequence totally out of whack... odd and minor but annoying.

what bits are cut from the R2? IIRC I was quite suprised by some of the things shown in the series (ie how nasty some of the things are)

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    According to DVD Compare:

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha there are throats being slit, necks snapped, blood everywhere and the BBFC are worried about a car being hotwired and a flipping headbutt?!? Typical of them really.

Oh and the R1 is obviously different packaging. It's a massive six-disc long digipack which when folded out is something like two foot long. It's not as neat as the R2s but I like it.

11. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    the PAL discs are sourced from the video masters. There's no 35mm original stock so to speak. The dailies are telecined and all editing and effects are done in the video domain.

Dont know whether this was NTSC or hi-def, suspect NTSC for seasons 1-3. If we're lucky then its Hi-def to PAL, if not then Hi-def to NTSC to PAL.