Best recovery software?

Sab

As per title, I want to enquire about the best recovery packages even the free ones. I know there is a Norton Ghost 10 but at £40 is it too expensive? I have Norton Internet Security 2005 and Webroot Spysweeper at the moment. The Spysweeper subscription I have recently renewed.

Thanks in advance.

B

BigBry

Acronis True Image is worth a look. You often find the older versions on PC magazine cover discs (so virtually free).

BigBry said:
Acronis True Image is worth a look. You often find the older versions on PC magazine cover discs (so virtually free).
I use this, it's the best.:D

Sab

I know that external USB hard drives are available from Maplin's from just £60. Is this not a better way of backing up the data on my computer?

I found no shop that sells Acronis True Image including PC World. Surely Norton Ghost 10 is good as well?

Steven

Senior Moderator
imo just partition your drive so windows gets it's own partition, and everything on a sep partition. Some have a third just for their data. Then just put documents and files on an external HD. No point backing up program installation files

PlexShaw

Sab said:
I know that external USB hard drives are available from Maplin's from just £60. Is this not a better way of backing up the data on my computer?

I found no shop that sells Acronis True Image including PC World. Surely Norton Ghost 10 is good as well?
Imaging software is useful as it means you don't have to keep reinstalling Windows whenever something goes belly up - you just restore back to the point before it all went wrong (usually installing some dodgy drivers or a broken app). It's also much more effective than XP's System Restore function. But if all you're after is data backup, then an external HDD is probably the way to go.

Do you actually need to purchase the software in a shop? Acronis True Image can be purchased from Amazon UK for considerably less than the £40 Ghost will cost:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CO1FAI/sr=8-4/qid=1155290265/ref=pd_ka_4/202-2837186-1790222?ie=UTF8&s=gateway

Whether Ghost 10 is just as suitable as Acronis is a different matter. I've personally never used it and given my distaste for all things Symantec, I'm unlikely ever to do so. Maybe someone else can comment on this?

Slinkoff

Novice Member
Can you create bootable recovery discs with Acronis?

I used to be able to do this with Ghost 9 but since they've moved to the .v2i format and hotbackups I've not seen a simple way of doing it, you always need to use the recovery disc to boot into their GUI, which takes about 5 minutes!

If Acronis allowed simple creation of bootable recovery discs then I'd consider switching, although Ghost is the only Symantec product I like because it's very useful and reliable and has saved me literally days of work.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Slinkoff said:
Can you create bootable recovery discs with Acronis?
Yes.

ajp558

Novice Member
I use True Image 9 as well.

It can be had for £9.99 plus a few quid postage from Amazon marketplace:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000CO1FAI/all/ref=dp_olp_1/202-6475709-0686245?_encoding=UTF8

Don't install from the CD, you only need the product key. Make sure you download the latest version from the Acronis web site and then enter the key from the CD when prompted otherwise it will install as a trial license (which is useful if you want to check it out). The download is about 96Mb but fixes a number of critical bugs from the original CD.

I upgraded from Powerquest Drive Image after it was taken over by Symantec.

B

Bobby_Boucher

I am a PC Engineer, i ran a independant shop for a few years and gotta say ghost was great, and it was the only thing i used from symantec, will look at the other offering as ghost did not like my linux partition:(

Slinkoff

Novice Member
I tried Acronis for the first time this weekend on an new build after years of using Ghost. I'm a convert. Symantec is virtually bloatware with all its services and LiveUpdater and the boot time from the Ghost rescue disc takes an age and there's no way to make one from within Ghost if you lose your original rescue disc. Acronis is better by far.

KoThreads

How difficult is TI 9 to restore to an SATA drive, do you have to find a way to install the RAID drivers first?

I've used various freebies but always come unstuck if trying to restore my image, on external usb drive, to my SATA C drive.

Slinkoff

Novice Member
I'm not sure I understand, perhaps your implementation of SATA is different but my SATA is on the mobo and enabled in the BIOS so I don't have to install any drivers to enable access to the drive. Restoring an image from my USB drive or another partition on my SATA disk is no different than if my drive was IDE.

KoThreads

Slinkoff said:
I'm not sure I understand, perhaps your implementation of SATA is different but my SATA is on the mobo and enabled in the BIOS so I don't have to install any drivers to enable access to the drive. Restoring an image from my USB drive or another partition on my SATA disk is no different than if my drive was IDE.
My MB is an ASUS a7n8x now a fair few years old, but as i no longer play games the 6600 gt and 3200 Athlon are still more than fast enough for my needs so no need to change, but the SATA RAID drivers have to be insalled from floppy or CD when XP is installed. When i've tried to restore before it doesn't see the drive, only my IDE ones, and tries to put the backup there.

Slinkoff

Novice Member
well a slightly more longwinded recovery solution would be to boot with the XP setup disk, install the drivers, partition your disk using the XP setup interface and then exit the XP setup and boot with your Acronis boot disc and direct the image to your newly partitioned SATA disk.

However, I don't understand how if you've already got XP setup on your machine, why Acronis or Ghost or any other software wouldn't be able to see your existing SATA disk already. Is it a case of the SATA drivers getting loaded after the point that you get the "Press any key to boot from CD....." prompt? I would have thought the drivers would be the first thing to load.

This link looks useful: http://www.techbuilder.org/recipes/60403842

Trending threads

Top Bottom