Best Recorder to do the following..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GadgetObsessed, Aug 5, 2003.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Are there any DVD recorders out there that can do all of the following. My main use is going to be watching DVDs and copying camcorder tapes. I have Sky+ already so will only use it for off air recording occasionally.

(1) PAL Progressive output.
    (2) Play back CDs with MP3s and display JPEGs.
    (3) Have DVD-RAM plus another format i.e. +RW or –RW. Is there really any advantage to having +/-RW along with DVD RAM? I plan to copy my camcorder tapes onto DVD-R. I don’t care about lending other DVDs that I record to anyone else.
    (4) Have iLink for recording from a camcorder. Is DVD-R the best format for recording on to? Do +/-RW have any advantages for editing?
    (5) Control a set top box (freeview or sky) – currently I don’t even have an analogue arial to record from.

The closest thing that I can see on the horizon is the new JVC DR1 Will any of the new Panasonics or Pioneers have these facilities? I have a slight preference for Panasonic as I have just bought a Panasonic TV.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    I think the machine for your will be the upcoming JVC DVD Recorder which records to DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R. It's due in October (RRP about £400). ASFAIK it has PAL Progressive, plays HighMAT (.mp3, .wma, .wmv, .jpegs) and has iLink. There will be more details on this appearing in the next months or so and there is a picture in the current HCC.

Information on the 'upcoming' Pioneer models is sketchy at best so who knows what features they will have.

The advantage of DVD-RAM is that it allows you to partial erase a programme and regain the disk space the erased contents was on. The .VRO file format can also be demuxed easily which is more flexible than importing DVD Video should you want to use a PC for authoring. DVD-RAM also has the advantage of Timeslip although, like me, you may not use this as you have Sky+.

So yes there is an advantage having DVD-RAM support. Having DVD-RW is a positive feature if you wish to lend recordings to friends without spending £1 on a DVD-R as a DVD-RW will play in most DVD players. Avoid +RW as it brings nothing to the party.

DVD-R is certainly the most compatible and is favoured by most users as the normal 'backup' format. That said DVD-RAM and DVD-RW have extensive editting features, DVD+RW allows 'scene hopping' as opposed to true editting facilities. The choice is yours - many people record using RAM on their set-top, edit as required and then author on DVD-R on there PC (but this requires a DVD burner as well).

3. jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    more info from another site: (I think it is a USA site- so no mention of digital tuner/price).

JVC DR-M1 Multi Format DVD Recorder

Coming Soon - The JVC DR-M1
    JVC has taken the wraps off its debut DVD recorder, the JVC DR-M1 – and a very well specified machine it is to. Topping its list of attractions is its PAL Progressive capability – and what’s more the 2-2 Pull-down conversion is conducted without converting the original data to interlaced data, thus leading to a cleaner image. Also key to the JVC DR-M1’s appeal is its multi-format support: it will playback DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD, Video CD and CD-R/RW, and recording in DVD-RAM, DVD-R or DVD-RW format.

Helping out on the pictures, meanwhile, are Block Noise Reduction Circuit and Hadamard Noise Reduction System for reducing mosquito noise. JVC is also keen to stress that it’s designed the JVC DR-M1 to record images in four different horizontal resolutions - more than 500 lines, 400 lines, 340 lines and 250 lines according to the length of recording time, while conventional players allow only two--more than 500 lines or 250 lines.

The JVC DRM1 also conducts effective noise reduction prior to MPEG encoding of the input signals - from VHS video tapes, for example - with the Super MPEG Encode Pre-Processor. This first reduces jitters with a Time Base Corrector, and then eliminates frame crossover jitters with Frame Synchronizer. Moreover, noise on moving images is also reduced with the JVC Motion Active Noise Reduction, which precisely detects pixel motion and applies algorithms to eliminate edge smear and image lag.

Added to these advanced recording features is the i.LINK connection, which allows direct digital-digital conversion of DVC input signals for recordings of pictures with less noise and highly accurate details. And a Linear PCM recording capability ensures recording of high-quality sound.

General user-friendly features, meanwhile include:
    * On-Disc Timer Programming - a unique function that writes the data for timer recording to discs as well. It means that you can set the timer just by loading a programmed disc into the JVC DR-M1, and ensures that a particular programme is always recorded on the same disc.
    * Live Memory: permits the simultaneous recording and playback, letting you play scenes you missed without stopping a current recording or waiting until the end.
    * Library Database DVD Navi: helps you with the management of programmes you have played back before. With this advanced feature, the JVC DRM1 is capable of memorising the information of up to 1,300 programmes so that it can tell you which disc to load to view a particular programme.

When you load a disc, the JVC DR-M1 shows you thumbnail pictures of the recorded contents. The thumbnail pictures are animated when the cursor is placed over it, making it easy for you to recognise the programme content. This is a JVC-developed technology, and the JVC DR-M1 is the world's first player to come with this feature.

4. jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope this is out soon- I was going to buy an E50 panny (my first standalone recorder)- but I am willing to pay an extra £100 for the JVC with a tuner (digital) and RAM/-rw recorder- prices for an E50 are as low as £285 for multiregion on the net.

5. jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P.S.- why do we get ripped off in the UK- I saw this (80Gb version of hs2 for a fraction of the price in the US:

Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD Recorder
    "now in stock"

DMRE80
    Recordable Disc Type DVD-RAM, DVD-R
    Time Slip Function Chasing Playback
    Simultaneous Recording and Playback
    Time Slip Roller and Button Control
    Rapid Random Access, Recording and Playback Yes
    Built-in Hard Disk Drive 80 GB
    (stores up to 104 hours of recording in EP mode)
    Relief Recording Yes
    Auto Renewal Recording Yes
    Playlist Playback Yes
    Direct Navigator Yes
    One-Touch Record and Play Yes
    Selectable Recording Modes XP/SP/LP/EP/FR
    Picture Quality Improvement Functions Input TBC
    3D Y/C Separation
    3D Noise Reduction
    Block Noise Reduction
    Mosquito Noise Reduction
    PC Card Slot No View
    Built-in SD Card Slot No
    Dolby Digital® (Dolby AC-3) 2ch Audio Recording Yes
    Bilingual Recording (DVD-RAM only) Yes
    MPEG2 Encoding with Hybrid VBR (Variable Bit Rate) Technology Yes
    Commercial Skip Yes
    Multi-Format Playback
    (Playable Disc Type) DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, Video CD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW
    DVD-RAM Video Playback Capability Yes
    DVD-R Playback 1 Capability Yes
    CD-R/RW Playback 2 Yes
    Progressive Scanning Yes
    Video D/A Converter 54MHz/10-bit
    Picture Control Brightness, Color, Contrast, Gamma
    Frame Advance (Forward & Reverse) Yes
    Advanced Surround (V.S.S.) Yes
    Cinema Mode No
    Dialogue Enhancer No
    Audio D/A Converter 96kHz/24-bit
    Power Source AC 120V, 60Hz
    Horizontal Resolution More than 500 lines
    Input Video In (x3) (Phono)
    S-Video In (x3) (S4P)
    Audio In (x3) (Phono)
    Remote Control Universal
    Audio Out x2 (Phono)
    Component Video Out (Y, PB, PR) Switchable (480P/480I)
    S-Video Out x2 (S4P)
    Video Out x2 (Phono)
    Hi Speed Smooth Scan 5 Speed up to x200
    Model Color Silver
    Picture Mode Selection Yes
    On-Screen Menu Icons Yes
    Optical Digital Output for DTS® & Dolby Digital® Surround Sound Yes
    Digital Audio Out Optical
    Quick View Yes DMRE-80

Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD Recorder "now in stock"
    DMRE80HRetail Price: $699.95877 Sale Price: $588.77
    You Save 16%

-----------makes you weep- I should have moved to the US when I was young free and single. ( PS higher wages for professionals/graduates- lower taxes etc).

6. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    OK then For me it will come down to the new JVC or the up coming Panasonic models.

For simple editing from a camcorder via iLink what advanages does DVD-RW have over DVD-R? Basically I'm just trying to find out if JVCs advantage of having DVD-RW is of much benefit to me for copying my home movies.

Does having a HDD like the new Panny's do make editing easier? I am pretty lazy so I expect that I am going to copy virtually the entire camcorder tape to DVD just editing a few unwanted parts. ie. no fancy editing.

Also does any machine have the ability to copy JPEGs to DVD? I note that the new Panny's will have a PC slot. Does this mean with a Compact Flash adaptor that you can copy JPEGs from a digi cam to DVD or CD?

Does anyone know if the new Panny's have PAL progressive scan?

Do all DVD recorders have IR repeaters to control STBs?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    A HDD is a very, very desirable thing to have. If you can afford a HDD/DVDR combo buy one - it is much more flexible than a non HDD unit. You would be able to copy your stuff to the HDD, edit as required and the dub to DVD-R. Nice and simple.

Not sure about the new Panny's having Progressive Scan (I don't think they do). You can see basic specs here:

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre80/
    (HDD/DVDR combo without iLink)

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre90/
    (HDD/DVDR combo with iLink)

DVD-RW has decent editting facilities in VR Mode but this is largely incompatible in 'normal' DVD players. You can record in Video mode but this has extremely limited editting. If you have a PC burner copying the content to a DVD-RW (or DVD-RAM) and then burning on your PC would be one use for this format. I wouldn't really suggest DVD-RW as an archive format.

DVD-R is much more compatible than any of the other formats so is IMHO the preferred method of archiving. There are virtually no editting facilties (of course you do have pause record) although you could use a PC to complete the process.

In short then I would recommend:

1) A DVD/HDD combo with iLink (HS2 or E90).

2) The JVC (which has iLink) as well as DVD-RAM/-RW/-R support although, if you want to do lots of editting, you may find you need a PC burner to get the most out of it.

Either option will enable you to make highly compatible (95%+) recordings.

8. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Thanks Rasczak - your replies have been really helpful.
    Cheers
    Gary

9. jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the likely cost of these new machines on the net? (It mentions £945 for an e100-which for me is far too expensive- despite the advantages of a HDD). Why do none of these have a digital tuner??

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    You'll be able to knock £200 off the rrp fairly easily on the net - so expect to say around £700 - £750 (similar to the HS2). If that's still to expensive you might like to hunt around for a bargain on the HS2 which, although with a smaller HDD, has near enough all the features of the E100.

Cost I suppose. I'm sure they will start to have digital tuners sooner rather than later.

11. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say the reason they don't have digital tuners is that prices are very sensitive at the moment as they are high due to the pioneering nature of the technology.

Adding £80 to the price of a recorder for the tuner would really put off the sky or cable viewers who never use it (and those who can't receive a strong enough terrestrial digital).

Once the cost price of digital tuners comes down due to mass production and competition, everything will have one, just like today with the analogue tuner.

At the moment the reason they don't is the similar reason we buy seperate everything else. Would you want a surround sound amplifier built in too? And perhaps some nice plastic speakers?

What you need is a set top box and a pronto remote - as it has timers...

Or you could get one of those pace double tuners with HDD recorder...

Perhaps we need recorders that can at least talk to set top boxes, although a proper epg would help.

Cheers,
    Cal.

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The reasoning for a digital tuner is very obvious and very sensible!

Bitsream recording

Rather than do

RF->DVB-T->(decode)->RGB->(encode)->DVD->(decode)->TV

Even DVI would be of small benefit.

Keep the MPEG2 stream intact

RF->DVB-T->DVD->(decode)->TV

This is why I bought a Pace Twin!

Also I think it is possible to encode an MPEG2 stream without completely decoding it.

13. jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A dig tuner means less cabling- fewer remotes ( one less scart socket) and less power used (common power supply)- ps easier for my wife and kids to use- I would happily pay an extra £80 even though I have an old philips ex- on dig box that I currently use.