• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best record setting for Panasonic DMR-EX75?

D

Daemonia

I was just wondering what is the best setting for recording. Obviously, for HDD playback, I use XP. But what about stuff I intend to burn later to DVD-R? Should I record in XP and then record to disc using FR (flexible record) or record in SP?

I ask this because in experiments, when I recorded in SP and burned to DVD using high-speed record, it used up less disc space and had a lower bit-rate than when I recorded in XP and then, essentially, re-encoded it in SP for DVD-R, if you get my meaning. This used up almost all the disc space and had a higher bit-rate. But am I really losing anything by using SD>SD, rather than XP>SP?

Does anyone know what I mean and can you offer advice on this?

Gavtech

Administrator
I was just wondering what is the best setting for recording. Obviously, for HDD playback, I use XP. But what about stuff I intend to burn later to DVD-R? Should I record in XP and then record to disc using FR (flexible record) or record in SP?

I ask this because in experiments, when I recorded in SP and burned to DVD using high-speed record, it used up less disc space and had a lower bit-rate than when I recorded in XP and then, essentially, re-encoded it in SP for DVD-R, if you get my meaning. This used up almost all the disc space and had a higher bit-rate. But am I really losing anything by using SD>SD, rather than XP>SP?

Does anyone know what I mean and can you offer advice on this?

The golden rule is always avoid a re-encoding if you possibly can.

Re-encoding is much more compromising to material than the difference between the quality modes.

A standard DVD nominally holds 1 hours worth of XP material and 2 hours worth of SP material.

Bear in mind that you can also use the FR mode, which prepares a recording to fit exactly on to a disk to make optimal use of the space available. The result can then be high speed copied to DVD.

Hal_loe

Established Member
It's also worth noting that when recording from Freeview SP is a closer match to the same bitrate most channels are transmitted at.

XP is a higher bitrate than the best channels (BBC1 and 2) are transmitted at so using extra space and not alot more.

As Gavtech said it's far easier and better just to use FR mode when recording and to high speed dub to disc.

Hope that helps.

Kevo

Prominent Member
For progs/films that are 90 mins - 2 hrs which I'm going to archive to DVD-R, then I always record in SP on the HDD so I can high speed dub, no re-encoding like Gavtech says plus it's a LOT faster, you maintain any custom chapters and you're not tieing up the machine for 2 hrs in real time going from XP to FR.
10 mins or less as opposed to 2 hrs! big difference for what is a marginal (if any) difference in PQ.

Under 1 hour then obviously I use XP.

I never go over 2 hrs and about 5 mins on a single DVD-R

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom