1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Reciever for Stereo Music

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dmach22, Jan 12, 2003.

1. dmach22

dmach22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm about to upgrade my sony 1070 receiver and was wondering in the forums opinion what do you this is the best multichannel amp/rec for stereo music that also does multichannel well and is under 1k. I've demoed a marantz sr5300 and wasn't that impressed. I may be leaning to the Arcam avr200 any other opinions?
    Thanks

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Well it depends on your priorities.

For the **BEST** music with AV, do wha t alot of people here do and get and intergrated stereos amp and then use an AV Amp with the pre-outs for the front channels connected to the int. amp.

If you need a 1 box solution, then the Arcam is probably going to be your best bet. Also worth auditioning would be the 2 new NAD AV Amps (T752 and T762) and the higher end Marantz.

Victoria

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I would agree with sounddog on the stereo amp integration option and NAD receivers. I would add the following to the "one box soloutions", though, if this is a preferable route:

Rotel make some very underrated, on this forum at least, receivers. Rotel kit have a sound that is musical to a point where DVD's still have an impact.
    Harman/Kardon are much the same as Rotel in its approach, but from the other end - slightly more AV than musical. If you like your music upbeat and a little in-yer-face then Harman/Kardon are still a good option.

Russell

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I was going to sugest the Rotel too ... but don't think he'll get it for less than £1k.

Victoria

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Arcam AVR200?

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well, yes the AVR200 is a good AV amp in terms of CD playback. I must say that when I heard the amp's DD and DTS performance, I found it to be lacking. So much so that I would rather buy a Stereo amp in the first place. Oh and the remote, though it looks good, is a 'mare to use.

I didn’t realize that the Rotel amp, RSX1055, was so expensive! No wonder it sounds good. It’s about £1200.

As an aside, I have been thinking about this “Stereo performance with AV amps” and realised something:
    I was in the position of buying an amp in the "less than 1k" bracket a few months ago and wound up with a Harman/Kardon 5500. Like I said earlier it is a moderately good amp for music, but it also offered something that I wasn’t expecting to work so well with music – Logic 7. I now rarely listen to CD's in stereo, but rather in "Logic 7 - Music" mode. This is quite a bit better than PLII or DTS Neo and more satisfying than even the amps stereo abilities. Some people don’t like to muddy the waters with such modes, and that is fine. If you find that you do like such things, however, then perhaps judging an amp’s musical abilities purely in stereo is not the way to do things?

Russell

7. dmach22

dmach22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the input. I might demo the new NAD receivers or even look at the Rotel option if I can find a bit more money under the matress. I should have said that I will be using a Sony dvpns900 as the dvd/cd player and KEF Q1,Q9c and Q8s with an rel sub.
    Cheers

8. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marantz 5300 sounds alright with music

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    If you do go the NAD route you should find you have some money left over. Do your CD's a favour and buy yourself a CD player - a NAD C541 would be brilliant with the NAD T752 or even a C521 would be an improvement over tthe Sony DVPN900 for CDs.

Victoria

10. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the av200 is better than my 3802 for sterio but does not have the same (facilities as 3802) 7 channels of amplification etc so you would lose out on this point,

if your sony has all the av funtions you need,just add a sterio integrated as suggested, if not you could demo marantz 7300 which is fairly up to date(circle sound etc) about £550, and see if that gives what you need sterio wise,

i would be more inclined to buy an amp that is (good for av) rather than one that gives better sterio, but suffers in av use as you can always add integrated if need be