1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best receiver for under £400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Simon55, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Simon55

Simon55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as title really, it must have the following:
    • At least 50WPC
    • Ability to decode DD+DTS, DPL, DPL2 pref 6.1 channels
    • S-video switching
    • front AV inputs
    • Remote control

I know some of the above are pretty standard but they are basic things i must have, i havent bought a receiver in yonks and yonks and am out of touch with current models,

Thanks

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Some of the models currently on the market that would fit the bill would be:

Marantz SR5200

or alternatively one of the new Yamaha's such as:

Yamaha DSPAX630

There's not many at the sub £400 mark with all the features you're looking for. These two are probably worth an audition.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The best Amp for under £400 is whichever Amp sounds "best" to you. No one can tell you which is the best. It's imperative to audition them yourself. Create a shortlist of the ones that match the features you're looking for and then demo them with CD/DVD's that you are familiar with. The Marantz sr5200 fulfills you list of wants at your pricepoint but really do try and listen to it before comitting. :)

4. Simon55

Simon55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that :) i was reading what hifi at work today and the SR5200 got a really really good review, they had it against some others and it won by miles.

Seen it for £330 as well so that would be great, i have an SR3000 now which i love to bits, just want onboard decoding and DPL2 really, along with a touch more power, i trust the SR5200 will sound similar to the SR3000 in stereo as this will be used for music as well thru some Kef 105/2 speakers.

One thing ive spotted, whats the difference between the SR5200-E and the SR5200? as the SR5200-E is £50 less