Best receiver.... for my setup? Home theater help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cleaner22, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Hello,
      This is my first post in the forum and I'm new to it as well. I'll start by listing my current speaker setup. Right now I have a 5.1 setup, with 2 Klipsch RP250's for my fronts, Klipsch RP440 for my center, 2 klipsch quintet satellite speakers for my surrounds, and a DCM 12 in powered sub. I'm likely going to add the Klipsch RP240s surrounds to complete a 7.1 and possibly add another powered sub for a 7.2 setup.
      My question is the Denon X2300 a good choice for this setup? And does anyone know if the 2016 Denon AV models received the update to pass through Dolby vision? More importantly the X2300 in this case. I found a good deal on a manufacturer refurb for 380$.
      I also have a connection with a Sony and Yamaha deal that will give me nice deals on STR series and RXA series. Here's what he offered me....Sony STRZA810ES for 500$ or Yamaha RXA670 for 450$. Also...have they received their update to pass through Dolby vision? Or maybe they do out if the box?
      Please any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    2. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Forgot to mention my TV is a Vizio M65-d0 4k HDR.

3. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,922
      DEnon will be releasing a Dolby Vision/HLG update for the AVRX2300, but hasn't done so as yet:

HDR FORMAT COMPATIBILITY

The Yamaha model in question ships with Dolby Vision and HLG compliance. I've no idea about the Sony model though.

4. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,922
    5. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      I'm just weary about what they say it offers in the spec sheet because Yamaha and others said receivers from last year had it but in actuality they were referring to an update that didn't come for almost a year.

6. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      I read on someone's post in this forum they got the update recently and now have Dolby vision . I'll try and locate the post

7. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      I found the thread but Op was referring to the Denon x3300. He received the firmware update on his AVR on Sep 12, 2017 (fyi)

8. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,922
      At the time of posting this, an update for the following Denon models is already available:
      AVR-X1300W, AVR-X2300W, AVR-X3300W, AVR-X4300H, AVR-X6300H

The following models are still awaiting an update which is scheduled for early 2018:
      AVR-X1200W, AVR-X2200W, AVR-X3200W, AVR-X4200W, AVR-X6200W, AVR-X7200WA

The following models ship with the Dolby Vision ability and do not require an update, but did later receive an HLG update:
      AVR-X540BT, AVR-X1400H, AVR-X2400H, AVR-X3400H, AVR-X4400H, AVR-X6400H

9. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Wow , great info Dante! I've been scouring the forum and hadn't found much solid info.
      Where did you find out which models have received the Dolby vision update ?

10. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      So.... now that that is solved do you think the Denon X2300 is a good match for my system? Seems like a good AVR for under 500$ which around my budget. Also seems to cover all the bases for future passthrough programming

11. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,357
      If you can stretch to the next model up it will give you a few additional features that might come in handy in the future. Such as pre outs for adding power amps, or maybe an integrated amp for improving music playback. Interesting review of the Denon 3300 here:

Denon AVR-X3300W 7.2CH Atmos/DTS:X Receiver Review

12. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Very cool insight on the audessey editor app. Pre amp outlet is also a plus. But the price tag is a little steep for me.

13. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for the video though! I enjoyed listening to that guys review. I'm pretty new to home theater world, although I've always been interested just didn't have the money to have anything other than theater in a box. I can at least afford something decent now and I enjoy reading up on all the options these days. can be Little overwhelming though

14. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      I feel like I should explore something in the Yamaha or Sony line since i have a dealer contact that is willing to give me 30% off retail prices! STR line and aventage line respectively

15. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +486
      imo, the Denon's trump both the yammy and especially the sony in sq, especially in the lower tier models. this is just my experience though so would advise for you to go and have a listen yourself if you can.

16. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,922
      via the link I'd posted earlier in the thread.

17. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,922
      The Sony STRDN1080 is winning a lot of praise. Many suggest it to be the best receiving in its price range. There do seem to be a few glitches with it though as reported by those who own one, but then again, the Denon models have a few issues with HDMI handshaking too. This board is based in the UK and that is where most of its members reside. WE are very limited when it comes to Sony models and the only model Sony ship here is the STRDN1080.

The Yamaha receivers will have a superior build quality when compared to the simarly priced DEnon options. This is basically what you are paying for with any of the Aventage models below the RXA1070. The higher tier models do include higher grade DACs and bespoke components not used elsewhere in the Yamaha lineup.

18. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      This is definitely a possibility for me, I liked the reviews, and specs. I found out it has received its Dolby vision update. What I don't like about Sony is how they rate their power. They say it puts out 165 watts over 7 channels. Sorry but no way!!! They don't even clarify how it's tested...4ohm, 8 ohm ?? So I don't know what to think on that, I need at least 95 watt rms

19. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Plus at around 500$ I could get my discount at around 375$

20. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,922
      None of the receivers you are considering will output 95 waats per channel to all seven channels. THeir rated abilities are given relative to 2 channels driven. You'd need to be looking at the flagship models or be considering the use of power amps if wanting 95 watts per channel from ecery channel the receiver can power.

21. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      So how exactly are we suppose to match an avr with our speaker setup correctly? So would all these receivers be underpowering my kkiosch RP series speakers? KkKlipsch RP250's for my fronts, Klipsch RP440 for my center) possible add of rp240s surrounds

22. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,922
      Since when do your speakers require 95 watts?

Wattage is subjective and the wattage you actually need depends on several things. Most speakers are quite happy with low wattage and are relatively sensitive. You'd only need more power to attain reference levels if your room is inordinately larger than average or if sat some distance away from the speakers. THe wattage rating given for speakers gives a lower rating which is the minimum and a higher figure which is the wattage you shouldn't constantly exceed while using them. I've a feeling that you are taking the higher rated wattage as being what those speakers require as opposed to the wattage you shouldn't exceed?

Your front speakers can handle 100 watts continuously and 400 watts peak, but don't need anywhere near this much power to operate. They've a very healthy sensitivity of 96db which means you'd not need excessive wpower to ve able to drive them to relativeluy loud levels in most rooms

23. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      I was going off the 150 watt number. That's why I figured 95 would be sufficient

24. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,922
      You mean 100 watts? THis is the wattage the receiver suggests you shouldn't continuously exceed and isn't the wattage the speakers require. If you were pushing a receiver as hard as you could driving just 2 channels then you are in fact getting pretty close to the limit as far as these speakers go.

Although Klipsch don't give a minimum requirement, similar speakers usually have a rating in the region of 20 watts when it comes to their minimum.

95 watts is the maximum continuos power that the receiver is rated able to output and not the power you are always outputting to the speakers.

25. Cleaner22

Cleaner22
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Oh ok, then any of these AVR's will be sufficient! Thank you for clarification. I guess alot of what they advertise in watts is a marketing strategy for layman's like myself

26. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,922
      AS long as your not intending using the setup in a large room or auditorium then the receivers in question should be able to power your speakers to and beyond refence level without distortion. If your room is inordinately large then more power and probably better speakers would be a requirement.

A bit more power is sometimes a nice thing to have because it improves you headroom and makes the chances of distortion being aparent at higher volumes while playing difficult to reproduce extracts of audio less likely. Again, this is relative to the room size and the speakers' sensitivity though, as well as the handling abilities of those speakers.

What's up with watts; how many watts do your speakers need?

Figure Out How Much Power Your Stereo Speakers Need in 3 Easy Steps

27. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,357
      Power requirements seems to be a controversial subject on these forums.

One school of thought is that if you don't listen very loudly, and have speakers with a good sensitivity, then a few watts per speaker will be enough. And your Klipsch speakers have an unusually high sensitivity rating.

Another school of thought is that you need 20db of 'headroom' to deal with the dynamic peaks in movie and music soundtracks. So even if you are not listening very loudly, during an explosion, or some mad rock guitar riff, there is a momentary peak in audio that can be as much as 20db, and so you need an amp that is capable of delivering that peak power output, or else those split second moments of dynamic audio will not play back cleanly.

I am in the second camp, and I have personally found that since adding power amps to my front three speakers, audio sounds better and more dynamic. Both for movies in surround mode, and music in stereo mode.

As you are new to home theatre, I wouldn't get overly worried about it now, as this is usually something that people may do as an upgrade path, after they have got used to their new kit and funds allow. However, if you buy an AVR now that does not have the required pre-outs, this upgrade path will not be available to you. However, with your sensitive Klipsch speakers, that might be okay for you.

If you want some more reading / watching on the subject, these are interesting:

How Much Amplifier Power Do I Need?

The Truth About Matching Amplifier Power to...

How much amplifier power do I REALLY need?

How Much Amplifier Power Do I Need? | Audiogurus

Amplifier, Speaker & SPL Calculator - Geoff the Grey Geek

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    28. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +470
      I would almost state this is fact given the amount of TV/film material which is mastered using the K20 metering scale, though K14 and K12 are more common for a lot of music.

Each of these scales represent mixing/mastering to a nominal average level of 20, 14 and 12dB respectively below peak.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    29. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,357
      I think it depends on the source material. I can hear the dynamic swings and see the VU meters on my amps dancing around when listening to CD's and watching blu rays. Especially when enjoying a HD audio soundtrack.

There is much less action when watching TV (freeview) or even streaming content with a stereo or DD 5.1 soundtrack.

30. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +470
      ^ Sorry, should have clearer, the average levels are considered around the busiest/loudest segments, so yes - you will find in a movie/Netflix episode etc most of it has an average level that is nowhere near -20dB.