1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best receiver for component video switching?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bada Bing, May 27, 2005.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    See my website for pics and details of my existing setup, but the weak point at the moment is the receiver. I'm currently using a £5 phono switcher to switch between my Component inputs to my Panasonic PW5. It works fine, but I'm getting fed up of changing inputs manually, and the fact that I can't shut the amp down using my Pronto. The LED display has also seen better days. Component inputs consist of:
    • Sky Digibox (using a SQART AV1920 with the Panny set to RGB)
    • PS2
    • Gamecube
    • Harman Kardon DVD2550
    All inputs are progressive scan except the digibox. I would prefer to go for a Harman Kardon product, as it will look nice on my tower with the DVD and Digibox, but am concerned that their receivers don't seem to be as powerful as my old Sony. Will they be good enough?

Any other manufacturers I should be looking at? I don't want to spend any more than <>£600 if I can avoid it. I need to keep some money for the Spoon Sports mods for the car I have in mind. :D

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think you will find most Harmon products more than a match for Sony amplification wise ;) I take it you have formed this opinion from reading the paper specs? Sony tend to overstate the ability of their amplification, often quoting wattage into a 4ohm load. You will find that current delivery is generally more important than the ability to deliver watts. And I think you will also find that Harmon Kardon products have far better current delivery than Sony :smashin: As far as I am aware most mid priced integrateds video switching ability is very similar and would'nt be the best reason for going for a particular amp :)

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks mate. I would prefer to have 4 component inputs, but can't find many amps that have 4 without costing >1k. The only reasonably priced one I can see is the Marantz SR-7500.

Can anyone recommend any others?

4. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm also looking at the Harman Kardon 435, which seems to be going at around £799. Anyone got any experience of it, and if it handles component video through its 3 inputs ok?

5. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The best option would be a Zektor component switch. (4 inputs) and keep your Sony.

That should give you the best image you can get. Still the Marantz 7500 is an excelent receiver and should do the job.

Don't know other options that could let you run 4 component...

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought a component switch before (maybe a year or two ago), and had a very bad experience with it, so would rather not bother again. Besides, I'd like as few boxes on my rack as possible.

Would anyone say which is best between the Marantz and the Harman?

7. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Neither is best or rather a perfect match to your requirement. As receivers, there is not much in it and both are very good.

The Marantz has the feature, and the HK the styling. It will come down to which is the most important to you.