Best Receiver for ~£400, should I just buy the SR605, right now?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ianjm, Sep 15, 2007.

1. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Guys,

I'm going to buy a new AV receiver shortly. I have about £400 to spend (although I am quite flexible).

Far and away the best at this price seems to be the ONKYO TX-SR605, as far as I can tell. Any reason I shouldn't just go to Richer Sounds now? :D

Have also looked at the Cambridge Audio AZUR 540v3, but the ONKYO seems to have it beat in terms of features if not in terms of numbers of inputs (I only have an X-BOX 360 and an HTPC with DVD/HD-DVD & HDMI to plug in right now).

Are there other options I could consider?

Requirements are mostly big screen movie playback with a 5.1 setup in a reasonable sized flat living room; music is secondary (although still would be nice).

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I'd go with the Onkyo, purely for the extra power, but would guess they're both good amps.

3. mercury2

mercury2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i'm thinking the same thing, for various reasons it's hard to go test them out at shops, the 605 seems to tick all the correct boxes
    there is no other coding (or whatever you call it, DTS etc) the onkyo can't handle, right ?
    if only choosing some speakers was as easy :rolleyes:

4. cinema-man

cinema-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there

go for the onkyo,the new cambridge is in the home cinema choice magazine and they didnt really rate it much,plus the onkyo has the new dolby hd,dts master audio(future proof):)