Best receiver for £300 in completely new set-up?

S

Shimmie

All,

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, and also to everyone who contributes to these forums in general. I'm completely new to this game, but have been reading the forums over the past few days and have learned a lot, so thanks for that.

I am buying a completely new home cinema set-up, starting from scratch. I've decided on a Panasonic 42PV70 screen (same as 42PX70 but w/o digital tuner), and I'm trying to decide on a suitable receiver. I'm also considering the Denon 1930 DVD player, and maybe the Q Acoustics 1000 5.1 speakers.

All of this is flexible (apart from the screen - kinda have my heart set on it, going to buy it this weekend).

The receiver I have been thinking of is the Sony STR-DA1200ES. I'd greatly value any insight anyone has into using this receiver (baring in mind I didn't know what a receiver was until quite recently!), particularly in conjunction with any/all of the other equipment I've mentioned above.

Would the STR-DA1200ES make a good combination with the Denon 1930? Or would a different DVD player make more sense? Is the video upscaling ability of the Sony receiver equal to / better than the upscaling of the Denon? And don't forget the upscaling performed by the Panasonic plasma!

I'm willing to spend up to approx £350 on a receiver, and maybe £200ish on a DVD/CD player, give or take.

Thanks again for any/all input or advice - greatly appreciated by someone who knows very little other than what I've read in magazines and websites over last couple of months!

Cheers,

Shimmie - absolute beginner in Dublin

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom