• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best receiver advice please

Steve N

Distinguished Member
My old Echostar 3600ip died last week and I rushed out and bought a Technomate 6800 which I'm a little worried about and may return - See my thread Here

If I change it my main requirements are:

Best possible picture.
Minimum of 2 Card readers/Cam slots. Preferably 3
Decent output connections; HDMI, RGB Scart, S Video possibly etc
Ability to receive HD Channels nice but not a deal breaker.
A built in positioner would be nice but NOT essential.

I would add that I've had Sats for years but I'm not techy with them so don't need anything thet requires codes or internet downloads etc.
I just want to use official cards or access the free stuff.

The Technomate seemed to tick all the boxes except for the problems I've had. Also the picture on mine isn't very good, even the menu has ghosting around the wording even when viewed directly via the HDMI.

I may have got a dud though, so will value any comments or advice :)

logiciel

My advice is to take the Techno back under warranty, and get a brand new one.:)
Mine has worked perfectly for almost two years.

Steve N

Distinguished Member

Encouraging to know :smashin:

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
If you were completely happy with your Echostar, you should be able to replace it for very little money from eBay.

I've just picked up a replacement for my Echostar 3000VA for less than £30 (they were more than ten times that new :eek:), mainly because I require a 36volt positioner capability which are very thin on the ground these days.

Good luck. :smashin:

logiciel

It's now selling at quite a lot less than two years ago, but if I was buying I'd probably go for the version with an extra USB socket on the back.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member

We like the TMs too, especially for their motor control - & they might be one of the best at USALS & Diseqc 1.2 as far as almost always working with each motor you put them with whether it says USALS or a non standard s/w version of USALS (that can cause problems on some stbs). Also the TM's instant on screen motor control plus the general s/w, menu layout/structure & it's editing & general features ...

For complete motorised systems where we supply all the kit we try to use TM 5400 Supers for SD or either 68/900s for HD or even TM5400s paired with Foxsat HDs - you just know they will perform motor wise. It's also handy to TX the TM channel lists & latest software via USB & you can update a customer later on easily. That not only saves time- you get a far better edited channel line up because it's always being edited here - you can't do that on different stbs you couldn't use that much time up.

The other HD stbs I'd mention IMO... The Humax Foxsats- .. not as good at motor control & editing satellites but slightly better HD & slightly more sensitive plus proper Freesat mode.

Others.. the many Linux receivers are worth a look ..

(still like & use the Echostars for 36v).

logiciel

Just to confirm - mine handles the 4-way DiSeqC switching seamlessly, and USB data transfers are very easy.

digitaly

Standard Member
Depends of the budget! I had no much to spare after buying my house and ended up buying a AZBOX HD Elite (waste of money) and I wish I never did!!! If are rich enough to buy a DM8000 go for it or for half price get a VU+ Duo (sort of clone of DM8000) other then that I don't know what to recommend you, as I have used Dreambox for the last 5 years and I would not want any less then that. Also dipends what do you want to watch on satellite (no point to have a dreambox or others linux boxes for the freeview channels).

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
So which currently available (digital) satellite receivers (still) support 36 volt actuators ?
My "old faithful" Echostar LT-8700 has finally given up the ghost (would like to fix it and refurbish but I don't have the time); therefore I have put my old Pace MS1000 (with actuator board fitted) back into service to move my 1.8m ChannelMaster offset dish for now.
I should really get a digital STB with actuator control to replace this (and retire my old Nokia DSAT receiver with its enthusiasts' firmware).

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
So which currently available (digital) satellite receivers (still) support 36 volt actuators ?
My "old faithful" Echostar LT-8700 has finally given up the ghost (would like to fix it and refurbish but I don't have the time); therefore I have put my old Pace MS1000 (with actuator board fitted) back into service to move my 1.8m ChannelMaster offset dish for now.
I should really get a digital STB with actuator control to replace this (and retire my old Nokia DSAT receiver with its enthusiasts' firmware).

Without using a V Box on a diseqc 1.2 stb.. - not too sure who is left ... This one is I think.. TOPFIELD TF5000 CIP 5000.

Don't know how sensitive they are but sensitivity is the one I'd go for in a new stb, especially with a 1.8 CM , to me that means a known high sensitive diseqc 1.2 stb & either keep the old positioner if it all works OK or V Box a new stb & use a decent twin or quad to bypass the V Box's insertion loss for the most sensitive stuff- you should see that much more of Nilesat. I've not heard the Topfield talked about in that area (or Echostars).

Last edited:

Tight Git

Distinguished Member

As I posted above, Echostars are going for peanuts on eBay as people upgrade.

I overlook the English Channel and so need heavy duty everything just to keep the dish from flying off to France! :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom