1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best rear centre speakers for Mission m72 package

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Rock, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What are recommended type of speakers to use as rear centre, to go with Mission's M72 package?

One shop recommended using a duplicate speaker to my front-centre. Another recommended I use the same as the dipole surround speakers. Another suggested shelf speakers.

Thanks.

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    definitely not a centre speaker for rear duties....

same as your other rears I would've thought.. so bipoles/ dipoles depending on what you've got.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There wouldn't be much point buying a pair of rears and using only one..

I was thinking of using the front centre as a rear centre when I upgrade the front to the beefier version from the 77 series.

Just a thought

-TF

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you have a smallish room, two pairs of bipoles are not recommended. Use either a normal speaker or even a centre if you wish.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to use a centre simply because centres are the only ones you can get as a single, and not as a pair, in the case of upgrading from 5.1 to 6.1

-TF

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    FYI, Mission still say use a pair of speakers for the rear centre even if you only have one output on the amp.. they recommend wiring them in serial, assuming your amp can cope with the load.

using a standard centre speaker wont disperse the sound properly - they are for locking dialogue to one point after all. plus there are some acoustic reasons supposedly with the sound from behind, being interpreted by the brain as being from in front.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is using an old centre speaker an absolute no-no, or is it better than nothing?

-TF

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say better than nothing, if you can not afford and is the only thing available it's fine, before i upgraded to a pair of S/B's i used an Tannoy MC centre, this was used in conjuntion with a pair of Tannoy MX1's, what helped was they were all the same brand and matched perfectly. A centre speaker is not just for fixing dialogue to the screen, it has to cope with all F/X that are on the screen aswell.
    If your centre matches the surrounds you should get some good effects.
    Using a single surround back speaker in close proximity to where you are sat will give its location away very easily, so the further you are sat away the better, if you find you are sat too close try turning the channel level down a shade.
    My advice would be, save up and buy another pair the same as your surrounds, though you will be only using one, you may fit the other in at a later date.....we always find the room....;)

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right... because I was thinking to upgrade my "black" centre speaker with something a little more asthetically appealling (I've probably not even spelt that correctly).. as it's just a black box - I would prefer it to look like my m72s with nice cones visible, like the m77c(1?)

Or I could invest in another pair of m7DSs to do surround back work.

At the moment, I have my m72s and centres at the front, and the m7ds directly behind me on either side. If I get another pair, I'll put the surround ones on either side of me, and the surround back ones directly behind me. Is this the right/best way to do it? I don't see any other way (having four m7ds on the back wall isn't going to look too nice)

-TF