Best RCA Interconnect for around £100

drhuffrur

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a cable 'believer' looking to purchase a decent 0.6m interconnect for around the £100 mark. I've got it down to the following 3 which I'd appreciate people's opinions on. Are these all similar in quality or is there a standout performer?
Chord Clearway
QED Reference 40
Audioquest Big Sur

Mark was a big supporter and sponsor of AVF in the early years of the Forums.

Joe

I recently replaced my RCA's with the cheaper Chord C line and can tell you they are excellent, went from Cambridge pacifics, the difference was very noticeable, I was skeptical that it wouldn't make much difference, how wrong was I? definitely more resolution and clarity with good bass response, don't be put off by the cheap looking plugs, these are top quality leads.

I recently replaced my RCA's with the cheaper Chord C line and can tell you they are excellent, went from Cambridge pacifics, the difference was very noticeable, I was skeptical that it wouldn't make much difference, how wrong was I? definitely more resolution and clarity with good bass response, don't be put off by the cheap looking plugs, these are top
Thanks for your input

I'm a total sceptic on cables. However, I was running from a Denon Receiver -> Crown XLS amps -> Mk MP150's. I could hear a hiss from the tweaters. I bought a few different pairs of cables and the ones that took pretty much all the hiss away were Atlas Equator Mk III Analogue Interconnects. I was buying second hand at about £40 for 2 x 1m. I used them on all channels. Very happy. I think it was the screening that sorted the hissing. I did try cables more expensive too.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, Neutrik Plugs and sharkware, mogami or some of the Belden cables can be very good. At the more expensive end Duelund is a step up, but for AV just too expensive. Sheild at the pre amp / processor end. I personally dont like the silver plated cables, prefer all copper.

In the past my all cabling was the Reference range of a cable brand, but at some point of age people start to simplify the audio system, so I sold all cables and replaced them with AQ Rocket 11, Golden Gate interconnects and Supra mains cables. Very happy with new cables, not too much difference except the purchase prices which is in thousands...

Today I needed urgently another Golden Gate interconnect but no stock at dealer so I purchased the Big Sur and obviously I hooked the turntable and listened. The music, not the cable, but... What stroke me was how Golden Gate was louder against the Big Sur. Not forward, louder! Other differences are very, very small. Perhaps a bit more organized sound? If yes, then just a hair difference.

So I can recomend the Golden Gate, alternatively the Swedish Supra or if youre a handy guy go for Mogami & Co, just choose good coverage of braiding. Serious manufacturer publish the coverage in %.

Last edited:
If you are handy with a soldering iron, Neutrik Plugs and sharkware, mogami or some of the Belden cables can be very good. At the more expensive end Duelund is a step up, but for AV just too expensive. Sheild at the pre amp / processor end. I personally dont like the silver plated cables, prefer all copper.
Neutrik RCA's are not very famous to have a good ground. In pro life it is handy to plug the connector into a live input, but that's it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom