1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best quality with just 2 SCART sockets?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by latent, Jan 2, 2004.

1. latent

latent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a Philips 9308 36" TV plus a DVD recorder. I want to connect these and my Telewest digital box up.
    The TV only has 2 SCART sockets ( Yes, I suppose some of you will tell me to have gone for a different TV ;-)

One of the TV sockets is RGB in which I will plug the cable box. But if I plug my DVDR in the remaining socket will this be lower quality ? Perhaps I should get a switcher box to plug in the RGB SCART?

Any advice welcome.

2. 7MAT

7MAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Does your Telewest digital box have two scart sockets?

Sometimes the second scart socket labelled VIDEO or DECODER can accept an RGB input. You could plug your DVD player into this.

Failing that a scart switching unit, would recommend the JS Technology Master Scart Controller box.

http://www.js-technology.com/

7MAT

3. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other thing you might consider is whether the second scart is s-video capable - most of them are.

You could connect your DVD through this and tell it to output an s-video signal. Usually s-video is somewhat worse than RGB but a damn sight better than composite video which is the other alternative via scart - apologies if you know this already.

I have my DVD through my TV's RGB scart and connect my x-box via the s-video scart (Joytech advanced lead with s-video) which enables me to get the best I can without a switchbox.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If your DVD Recorder has a second scart socket you can daisychain the digibox through it and both can use the same RGB enabled scart socket that way.