Best Quality for DV -> DVD conversion ?

cyberheater

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've had a shot at Pinnacle Studio to convert DV -> DVD format and although the conversion is quick, I find the quality to not be that great with mpeg artifacts etc..
I've also tried nero express convert.

Has anyone else tried a winning combination that gives the best quality for DVD movies.

When you go up in quality you will also go up in price. I use Adobe Premiere and have an encoder plugin for it that is very good, but you are looking at several hundred pounds for that.
I also use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3. This has produced some very good results and only cost about £25. Take a look at their website at www.ulead.co.uk and you can download a 30 day free trial of the software to see if you like the results.

Mark.

Originally posted by MarkE19
When you go up in quality you will also go up in price. I use Adobe Premiere and have an encoder plugin for it that is very good, but you are looking at several hundred pounds for that.
I also use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3. This has produced some very good results and only cost about £25. Take a look at their website at www.ulead.co.uk and you can download a 30 day free trial of the software to see if you like the results.

Mark.

Thanks. I'll try that.

I've not had any problems with artifacts when creating a DVD within Pinnacle. Have you checked the setting you are using to make sure that you've got it set to highest quality?

Also which version of Pinnacle Studio do you have? Studio 9 is said to be far better for DVD creation than the older Studio 8.
Also are you sure that you do not have any dropouts during capture? These can often be missed when viewed on a PC monitor and only show up when played on a TV later. Anything missing during capture will then be made worse when the footage is compressed before copying to a DVD disk.

Mark.

I was trying Pinnacle version 8.

Which provides better DVD quality. Pinnacle studio 9 or Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 ?

In my experience best bang for buck MPEG encoders (encoders not including authoring) are TMPGEnc & CCE Basic .

Personally I use Canopus Procoder which I find best of all & more configurable than the others (but more pricey)

Of course these only create your MPEG files & you will also need the authoring software to create your VOBs etc.

I use Premiere 6.5.
I've tried ulead, but couldn't live with it's instability. Tried also Premiere's mpeg plug-in, but the best I've found is Sonic MyDVD. It works great and has smashing menu features. The quality of the image is king for me and MyDVD gives that- with digital 5.1 sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom