1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best quality DVD/Divx Player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jpfahy, May 2, 2005.

1. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to upgrade my DV575a Pioneer DVD Player.
    What is the best player around at the moment that plays all the same formats as the Pioneer?
    Divx is really important BTW

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Pioneer 588A-S in about 1 months time.

Divx wise it will be the same.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL.... NX3 you truely are the divx master :smashin:

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    If you have a 575 surely you'd be happy ? Other than packed bitsteam it plays pretty much everything. The 588 is going to be 95% the same machine, same mediatek chip. IMO I can't see why you'd upgrade from a 575 as in the realms of divx players available in the UK or the next month the 575 is still one of the best.

5. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've been very happy with the 575 since I bought it, however it has recently repeatedly refused to load some DVD discs, something which is very annoying.
    I figured I'd like to move up to the next level pricewise and hopefully do away with such annoyances.

Or is this something that happens with all players/certain discs??
    (the DVD's in question all work on my Xbox PS2 etc just not in the 575)

6. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    What version firmware does your 575 have ? search on this forum you'll find how to find out and how to update to 2.09 (latest)

7. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There s a newer firmware 2.10.
    It adds new features like equalizer, and bass/treble boost.
    I find them very usefull coz I m a treble-lover :)
    Its an excelent player.
    Try this firmware and if the problem consists then
    change it for a brand new 575 :) coz you re not going to find a better divx/dvd player out there.

8. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,219
    Before I rush off to get this (and where can I get it from?) have you noticed any down sides? Any problems?

9. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    2.10 not sure if its offical or not. On other forums people have had a few problems with it. I guess you can go for it and if you don't like it reflash to 2.09. I've stayed on the cautious side and stuck with 2.09.

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,941
    I have the Pioneer DV470 and it even though it is a better player than my last one its Divx is worse, true apart from Packet Bitstream it will play most files but the problem I have is that it wont display all the files I have on a disc, my old player used to show everything including .mov files but the Pioneer sometimes only displays half of what is on the disc, anyone know why this is? because apart from this it is a great player.

11. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I think I asked before, I don't have this problem but how many files you trying to display in one directory ?

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,941
    At the most 12 files, have tried renaming them from .avi to .divx and it doesnt make any difference, I just dont understand why they are not being displayed considering they worked on my £50 DK Divx Player.

13. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    It won't list .mov (quicktime) files as it can't play them, that makes sense.

I've put 36 files on a dvd-rw and can list them all and play all fine. I had a 2nd directory with a furthe 18 files. Again the Pioneer 470 listed them all fine. I'd suggest you have a problem with your machine, burning the disc in such a way the player can't read them or the machine is having a problem with the media you are using.

14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,941
    I know it wont list .mov files but I was just making the point that my old one would so the file listing software in the Pioneer isnt as good as the DK Player.

Also, I have tried burning the same files on dvd-rw, dvd-r with finalising and cdr and when I put the disc in it just states there is nothing on the disc so its not a media problem or how I am burning them but how are you fitting 36 files on a dvd-rw? as the smallest files I have are around 170Mb and even then I could only fit about 25, are they your own encodes? as all the ones I have are downloads.

15. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    so its not a media problem
    >How can you be sure ? What brand discs do you use ? I use a mix of Verbatim, Philips, Sony with no problems so far.

or how I am burning them
    >What do you use to burn them ? Nero ? EasyCD ? XP ? Mac ?

It could well be either of those issues as no other reported problems listing files on any forums I've seen. Though it could also be you have a faulty unit / laser.

how are you fitting 36 files on a dvd-rw?
    >the files i used were about 100mb each, totalling 3600mb or 3.6gb roughtly.

16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,941
    I have used Verbatim DVD-R, Datasafe Ritek DVD-R, Datawrite Ritek DVD-RW, Rinco Ritek DVD-R, Datasafe CDr, Philips CDr and Traxdata CDr and on all of them the same files wouldnt be displayed either when burned on their own or with other files.

For burning I use RecordNow Max which have never given me anything but perfect burns.

Would it be possible for me to send you one of my discs which I am having problems with just to make sure it isnt a problem with the hardware.

17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,941
    Just thought I would post an update as I think I have figured out why certain files were not being listed on my DV470

Believe it or not but I am 99% sure it was down to the file name length.
    I noticed on the computer that all the files that would not be displayed on the 470, they all had a file name length of over 40 letters so I tried renaming them to under 40 letters and I then burned them all onto a dvd-rw to test and to my suprise every single one of the files were displayed so that has to be the reason.

So if you have a Pioneer 470 or 575 make sure your divx/xvid files have a file name no longer than 40 letters.

18. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Good news :D

19. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,941
    I emailed Pioneer and told them that they must have a file name length issue with the DV-470 and they emailed me back saying there was no such limitation so I then explained to them why it had to be the file name length causing the problem and they emailed me back saying the following...

So are they now agreeing with my statement that the file name length does effect whether or not the file will be displayed, it seems I am teaching them more about their own product lol