Best quality connection to slingbox solo?

grizzlynigel

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a better quality connection possible from my Sky+HD box to my slingbox than composite video? The slingbox has inputs for s-video and also component video, but my Sky box does not output them. The HDMI is connected to my TV and looks great, but the composite video looks worse than the RGB scart output (I tried it directly on the TV to make sure the slingbox wasn't at fault for the bad quality).

Is there a way to get component video out from the Sky box or at least s-video? It is an Amstrad DRX890 500GB/250GB box.

Thanks,

Nigel

Hi,

Is there a better quality connection possible from my Sky+HD box to my slingbox than composite video? The slingbox has inputs for s-video and also component video, but my Sky box does not output them. The HDMI is connected to my TV and looks great, but the composite video looks worse than the RGB scart output (I tried it directly on the TV to make sure the slingbox wasn't at fault for the bad quality).

Is there a way to get component video out from the Sky box or at least s-video? It is an Amstrad DRX890 500GB/250GB box.

Thanks,

Nigel

Not without something like an HDMI to component OR RGB to s-video converter black box. The latest boxes only have HDMI, RGB, composite video and RF outputs.

Thanks for your help. I had a look around for HDMI to component converters, and they are expensive, even more so for ones that can strip HDCP encryption. I think I will skip this, and just live with composite until I can pick up a cheap one from ebay.

RGB to component converters are available and cheaper than the hdmi route. As presumably the slingbox is SD only then there's no point in using hdmi out.

Yeah, I had a look around the net, and according to others that own slingboxes, HD inputs result in a significantly better picture even though it only streams in SD. Apparently the video encoders in the slingbox use the WMV codec which gets better results (less blockiness and fewer artefacts) from HD sources.

I think I will pick up an HDMI converter from ebay sometime over the next month or so.

Thanks for your help. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something obvious I was overlooking.

It doesn't help you much, but the Samsung 500gb boxes still have S-video outputs - and the picture on my Slingbox classic looks great through it :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom