• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

best PSU for under £100

hi guys.

im going to upgrade my GPU to the GTX460 oc edition and want to upgrade my psu soon after

im currently using a evo labs 600watt psu, its cheap and needs to be replaced with a better one.

im looking for anything over 600watts, modular, 80+ certified with at least a 3 year warranty.

£100 is the highest end of my budget and want the highest wattage psu thats possible so i dont have to upgrade later if i add a second card, more hdd's, odd's or whatever.

anyone got some suggestions?

MarkE19

I like the Corsair PSU's so would recommend the Corsair HX650 which creeps in just under budget (or there is the 750w version at £110 :devil: ). The HX PSU's are 80+ Bronze certified, modular and have a 7 year warrenty.

Mark.

Invertigo

Standard Member
I would say the XFX Black Edition 750w. Its out of stock atm, but you could always send a webnote enquiring about expected delivery dates.

EDIT: Just saw its only a single 460 setup, so I would recommend this Antec. It's made by Seasonic, who are widely regarded as one of the best when it comes to PSU's and if I'm not mistaken, it has a 7 year warranty. Much cheaper than the equivalent Corsairs too

Last edited:

Bigmac22

Standard Member
I like the Corsair PSU's so would recommend the Corsair HX650 which creeps in just under budget (or there is the 750w version at £110 :devil: ). The HX PSU's are 80+ Bronze certified, modular and have a 7 year warrenty.

Mark.

I agree with Mark, I've used the Corsair PSU's loads, they're quiet and cost effective!

icstm

Fractal Design Newton R2, 650W costed me ~£90 two months ago from Scan. It is a good silent modular psu .
That is good to know.
Are you happy with the cable length and is the fan realy quiet or does it speed up after an hour of idle use?

shoonya

Standard Member
Are you happy with the cable length and is the fan realy quiet or does it speed up after an hour of idle use?
Sorry for late reply.
Yes happy, I didn't have any problems with cable length in Fractal Design Define R3 case. I hear slight noise from case fans but not the psu. I haven't noticed any speed up after few hours of usage.

icstm

thanks for the info.
So you paired the 2 Fractal Design components together the PSU and case.
Do you game much? and when you are not gaming do you turn the fans down? I was wondering if your system would be happy with fewer fans (so less noise).
I like both components you chose!

shoonya

Standard Member
icstm,
Not much gaming in the past three years other than occasional PS3 games. I use the machine for software development and testing, so fans are always set to low RPM.
Good to know that you like my choice. Thanks

well thing is im looking to sli the gtx460's eventually as well as adding in another 3 dimms on ram, 2 hdd's, water cooling ect so yeah....

but thanks for the replies so far fellas"!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom