Best PS4 Media Remote

Gordon B

Reaction score
Mrs B is having a fit having to pick up and turn on the PS4 controller whenever she wants to pause something on Bluray and Netflix. Its kind of annoying me too but I'd never admit it!

See there is an 'Official' remote out but its £30, can someone recommend a decent third party alternative, or is it worth shelling for this one?

Thanks

A lot of people seem to slate the official one. I'm not really sure why?

I don't know if it's out here yet? If it's the pdp one your talking about. I ordered mine from Amazon USA.

It does absolutely everything it should and that you'd hope. Even has volume buttons for the tv.

The only slight issue is that if your using it and then leave it for a bit, like 15 minutes say, it will switch itself off. So if you then go to press pause for example, it won't work. You need to press the PlayStation button on it to wake it up so to speak.

I absolutely cannot fault it, and would highly recommend it.

It's great being able to not have to run down your controller battery just to watch Netflix etc.

Mrs B is having a fit having to pick up and turn on the PS4 controller whenever she wants to pause something on Bluray and Netflix. Its kind of annoying me too but I'd never admit it!

See there is an 'Official' remote out but its £30, can someone recommend a decent third party alternative, or is it worth shelling for this one?

Thanks
Turn on HDMI control on the PS4 & you should be able to do most things using your regular TV remote (if it has play/pause/FF/RW etc buttons).

Turn on HDMI control on the PS4 & you should be able to do most things using your regular TV remote (if it has play/pause/FF/RW etc buttons).

Even if I'm running through an amp? PS4 at a friends at the moment but I'll certainly try that when I get it back.

Yep, I run my PS4 through an Amp.
If you have a Harmony remote you can programme it to replicate every button that you could want. Even with a standard TV remote you have the majority of buttons & the 'Tools/options' button brings up extra options.

The only thing you can't do is replicate the PS button to turn the PS4 on, however on my TV (Samsung) switching to the correct HDMI source has the effect of turning the PS4 on anyway.

What tv have you got ?
i can use my samsung tv's remote to start the ps4 do what i need to do with it , pause play stop ff rw , all with out touching the ds4 controller.

I have the "official" PS4 remote.

It is certainly not as good as the PS3 one was in pretty much every way. However it does seem to work quite well to me. I am a little wary of recommending it as there is so much bad press on it.

It is well over priced to me! I think it is only available in the US so importers are charging a lot for it.

I got mine from the US for a lot less but with shipping etc it wasn't far different in price. I finally managed to use some Amazon US Credit that I won years ago so it was actually free to me! Not sure I would have paid £30 or so.

If you want one, perhaps wait until you visit the US or get a friend to send one over?

HTH
M

What tv have you got ?
i can use my samsung tv's remote to start the ps4 do what i need to do with it , pause play stop ff rw , all with out touching the ds4 controller.

Interesting, I will try that. Thanks!

This is the remote i have :
Samsung-Remote-Control-For-PS43E450A1WXXU-Plasma-TV11.jpg
( do not touch the ds4 while using the tv remote , it disables the remote for some reason )
make sure "enable hdmi device link " is turn on with in the ps4 system settings

Press the tools button on the remote
click anynet+ hdmi-cec
you should be able to see playstation 4 click the enter button
click on ps4 > the ps4 should start,
login into your/an account , press the enter button again
you now can use the arrows buttons on the tv remote to navigate around the ps4,
you can go into any of the settings to get back out press the return button to back a page/screen
even works in the store .

while watching a film you can use the bottom buttons to play pause FF or RW .

but there's no option on the remote to return back to the main screen
unless
:to get back to the home screen (main screen )
press the tools button on the remote again and click on the "playstation 4 menu " option
this will take you back to the home screen
and from there you can turn off the ps4 by going to the power option > power option >turn off the ps4 .

I didn't get my Samsung TV remote to work, but I *did* get my Yamaha amp remote working after enabling hdmi device link.

Very useful - Many Thanks!

I've enabled HDMI link on PS4 and Amp but my Onkyo remote won't play ball. Any advice for how to get the two of them to talk to each other? Also Viera Link on the TV only shows 'others'. Can get the TV remote to operate the PS4 but not the Amp one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom