Best PS3 media server for MAC?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by muddybloke, Jan 30, 2009.

1. muddybloke

muddybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi all,

Want to try a media server on my new iMac to link to my PS3. Will be wireless.

Anyone suggest which ones may be best to try?

cheers

muddy

2. 328iGuy

328iGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well you have 2 options.

I bought MEdiaLink and it's fantastic, highly recommended.

There is also "PS3 Media Server" which is free, however I was unable to get it to find my PS3.

So take your pick, but you definately won't go wrong for the $20 if you grab MediaLink. :thumbsup:

3. BName

BName
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +905
    Just noticed it was for a mac which i am not sure of so deleted my advise.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  4. harrinp1

harrinp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think medialink offer a 30 day demo so certainly give that a try.

The free PMS one does do transcoding but I've still had issues on my 8-core MacPro.

I'll stick with Medialink and convert any MKV's manually.

5. muddybloke

muddybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've just tried out the "PS3 Media Server" on my new iMac and it seems to link to the PS3 fine! - it shows the majority of movie files, I will investigate further to see how they play regarding syncing up etc.

I did notice it does keep coming up with a connection error message in the top right of my ps3 while playing movie files tho? - the movies still play fine, but the message keesp popping up all the time, anyway of turning this off?

6. 328iGuy

328iGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is a very well known issue with the issue being tied to the firmware of the PS3.

I have rarely received this issue since the last firmware update a couple weeks back however. :clap:

7. ncudmore

ncudmore
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've installed MediaTomb, and this works fine (and is free :cool: ). But, the initial set-up is a bit long winded if your not a bit techie :eek: .

This is running this on an old G4 mac mini (OS X 10.5.x) with 4 external hard disks connected (USB and Firewire mix), holding video, iTunes music, pictures - which sits on a shelf hidden with no screen/mouse/keyboard. Over a wired network and this works fine.

Upside, is it's all free (the apple developer kit is free after you register for it - if you're on an older OS X, it may be on the OS install DVD), fink is free, as is mediatomb. Other than that it's strightforward and not as bad as it sounds. Go to the apple website, Apple Developer Connection and register. Download the ADC - install. Download fink and install, and then run fink to download and install mediatomb. Also it's the only media server on the Mac I've found that allows you to add media from internal/external and Airport/network drives. It also allows you to read the directory/folder where the media is either as a one off or automated rescan. So, you can have say a folder with holiday snaps in it updated only manually, and another folder which is updated a lot re-scanned every 3 minutes, every hour, every day or whenever.

Downside is you'll need a working fink, and that needs the Apple xcode stuff installed - from a clean install of the OS on the mac mini it took about a day to download and install all the bits including the OS X updates (my OS X dvd was 10.5.0). You have to start the mediatomb demon from a terminal screen. You can do all this remotely via ssh, and then the web interface. But, it's not a simple download, run and you are working.

That said, the mac mini stays on and has been running mediatomb for the last month without touching it, job done :beer: .