Best PS3 Console Deals *Part 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a PS3 80gb with Resistance 2 and a hdmi lead (don't need,got several)for free for the grand price of £272.60 inc p+p from amazon.Grateful for the posters on this thread which finally led me to this deal.Nice shiny new for me and son can have my launch console,happy days:clap:

That's what I went for, but Amazon are really dragging their feet. I placed my order on Saturday and today I got a couple of emails saying that they'd dispatched everything except the console.

Found this one at Play for 299.99 but with the 5% off comes to 284.99.

Play.com (UK) : Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 Console with 80GB HDD + Tom Clancy's EndWar (Steelbook) + LittleBigPlanet + Batman Begins (Blu-ray Movie) + Blu-ray Remote Control : PlayStation3 - Free Delivery

Go through Quidco and using the 5% off code, doesn't seem like a bad price.

5% off absolutely everything @ PLAY.COM FOR 'RAC MEMBERS' - Page 7 - HotUKDeals Forum

Undecided whether to get one myself and flog the extras it comes with. :D

Took the plunge and ordered one.

Last edited:
Argos have Ps3 and free game (from Little Big Planet, Motorstorm:pacificStorm or Resistance 2) for only £269. On the website click Ps3, then Special offer 2. Good thing with this is its a good deal, and you can reserve it/stock check. I am thinking of getting it (especially as I have £150 in vouchers) and should get about £20-25 for Resistance 2 if I decide to trade it in. Is |R2 any good ? I didnt like the first one that much and I dont play online.

I've not played either but I hear that R2 improves on R1 in every way except for the story, so if you only play the story mode/single player then you might not like it anymore than the original. Have a look for gameplay videos on YouTube, if it all looks too familiar then trade it in.

I just checked CEX.co.uk, they'll buy it for £19 and trade it for £24, that's pretty good.

These two look OK:

PC World - 80GB Little Big Planet and Far Cry 2 £300 (not sure about delivery)
imp
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/Gaming_homepage/?int=home_nav sorry, couldn't get the direct link to work

Gamestation - 80GB with 300 Blu-ray, Resistance 2, Mirrors Edge and PS3 Remote £300 delivered
PS3 80GB Console with 300 Blu-ray, Resistance 2, Mirrors Edge and PS3 Remote (PlayStation 3) - free UK delivery at Gamestation.co.uk

Personally, I'd go for Gamestation's bundle.

Other than those two, the only others worth mentioning are the Killzone 2 and Street Fighter 4 80gb bundles on offer at Play.com for £290.

I was in Blockbusters at the weekend and the guy behind the counter said that they were expecting some new console bundles "any day now, in fact we should've already had 'em". That's according to a newsletter he had received. I'm not sure if the letter was intended for that specific store (Crystal Palace, South London) or if all BB stores are expecting new bundles. Have to wait and see.

I'm getting the feeling that some new bundles, or at least some better priced standard bundles, aren't too far off (a week or two maybe). Might be worth holding out a little longer if you're struggling to find anything that appeals to you right now.

Last edited:
I'm getting the feeling that some new bundles, or at least some better priced standard bundles, aren't too far off (a week or two maybe). Might be worth holding out a little longer if you're struggling to find anything that appeals to you right now.

To back this up it appears that Amazon have sold out of all PS3's right now and Argos state that there offer of a free game (either Motorstorm, LBP or Resistance 2) finishes today (3rd of Feb)...:confused:

So hopefully the two are linked and there will be some new/better bundles.

Other than those two, the only others worth mentioning are the Killzone 2 and Street Fighter 4 80gb bundles on offer at Play.com for £290.

The nice thing about the Play bundles is the 5% code (£14.50) and the quidco (£11.60 as it seems to wrongly track as a "game" rather than a "console" - i guess due to it being a bundle?) Making them £263.89 including a game. Also you should be more likely to get a newer revision of the PS3, hopefully a CECHM which may well have the 65nm RSX.

I agree some decent bundles should be around the corner. I was in HMV today and they had very little in the way of decent deals.

Game have started doing this bundle again -
80GB with Resistance 2, fifa09, I am Legend Blu-Ray and PS3 Remote £299.
the same as the gamestation offer but you get fifa09 instead of mirrors edge.

Game have started doing this bundle again -
80GB with Resistance 2, fifa09, I am Legend Blu-Ray and PS3 Remote £299.
the same as the gamestation offer but you get fifa09 instead of mirrors edge.

Yeah watch out for them, I got that bundle and ended up with a CECHK when the box said it was a CECHL :mad:

I am currently on the hunt for a PS3 bundle.

How do you tell if your console is a CECHL model.

Is it clearly stated on the box and if so whereabouts?

Thanks

Thanks

dscf0034xl01yv1.jpg

Here's an image of a normal (non bundle) box - you can see the CECH code on the far right in the middle. However, if youre getting a Sony bundled deal (with a game or Bluray included in the actual box ie I Am Legend Bluray Movie Pack, or Call of Duty Bundle) there are two markings. There is a cardboard sleeve which has a marking on the back saying CECH and another marking inside the sleeve on the top (like the picture above).

On the bundle versions the inner box code is probably more accurate than the outer code, although they may not let you look under the cardboard flap (even though there is no seal here). Im not sure if Sepherzz code was CECHL on both these places, but some have been known to differ, and to make things even more complex, you could still find a K inside a CECHL box which is marked CECHL in both these places. I think this is because the L's are less common (K and M being the most common in the UK).

The best thing to do is to try to get one with CECHM on the inner box as these are much less likely to be Ks inside IMHO. I think the Call of Duty 5 bundles are likely to have this, as are the Batman Begins bundle. As Sepherzz says, the I am Legend bundles seem to have K's (but often in an L box) Others have reported getting M's in Batman Begin packs, so it could be as simple as that - but they seem hard to track down.

Game staff seem pretty reluctant to let you even look inside the cardboard sleeve if its a bundle version, even though there is no seal, so maybe go for one thats just a normal PS3 with extra games added by the retailer, and check it has a M. If you go for an L theres a chance youll find a K inside (as Sepherzz found out!)

Be prepared for some strange looks from the staff who will think you are completely mad, and also remember the I Am Legend packs at Game are probably all CECHK's in CECHL boxes. :(

Russ

Last edited:

Thanks

Like Russ said, it should be on the box which isn't always that helpful as getting a look at the box before you buy can be difficult. I just bought an 80gb from Amazon which turned out to be a CECHM03. I think they're currently out of stock, but with Killzone just around the corner I can't imagine you'd have to wait that long.

Just bought a PS3 80gb with Resistance 2 and a hdmi lead (don't need,got several)for free for the grand price of £272.60 inc p+p from amazon.Grateful for the posters on this thread which finally led me to this deal.Nice shiny new for me and son can have my launch console,happy days:clap:

Just to update-:
Amazon delivered the PS3 yesterday at 8.15 am(city link),fwiw,it has the new 65nm RSX chip,which labeled by the code CECHM.The game came the day before that,still waiting for hdmi lead which for me is not important,got loads of em.

Sorry, whats all this about ChecM, L, K etc ? is there a dodgy batch or better version? I just got my Ps3 yesterday, it says CHECHM03 on the box, is this the best one?:confused:

Apparently the model you have is one of the better ones, if not the best one. That part of the serial number indicates the type of chip that is used in the console. Some of the PS3s use a newer type of chip that should help the machine run quieter and cooler than some of the older chip sets. The CECHM series is meant to have these better chips (or so I've heard, I really wasn't aware of this until after I ordered mine, luckily I got an M03).

Sorry, whats all this about ChecM, L, K etc ? is there a dodgy batch or better version? I just got my Ps3 yesterday, it says CHECHM03 on the box, is this the best one?:confused:

Yes as jp says, there seems to be a bit of a lottery as to which youll get when buying a new PS3. The M's are pretty much confirmed to have the 65nm RSX chip which means the PS3 will be running cooler and hopefully quieter. The K's are suspected to have a 90nm RSX, which is obviously less cool. Where did you buy yours from?

Last edited:
Mines an 'L'

I don't know wether to be happy, sad or indifferent:confused:

Mines an 'L'

I don't know wether to be happy, sad or indifferent:confused:

From what I have read the L's are very likely to be the same as M's - they were released in Japan at the same time (October), and are likely to have a 65nm RSX. :thumbsup: The K's were released back in August, so are a slightly older revision. To make things even more complex, some people seem to find they have an L on the box, but the back of the console may be an M or a K.

Last edited:
guys,

as my playtrade ordered 60GB bundle never arrived - but play.com were ok about it and refunded the money without delay:thumbsup:
i am still looking to get my hands on a PS3...
but i cant see any decent bundle out. i like the Fifa footie game, would like a remote control...
as i dont have a HD TV yet, i am not so bothered about a HDMI cable etc...

i see argos extended the £269 + 1 game free (Motorrift, Resistance 2 or LBP) offer but i dont think i want any of these games. i already got Battlefield Bad Company as a present.

Does anybody know what the current best deal is...? or should i wait a week or 2?

Thx Lars

ive been keeping an eye out for a while for a good deal- to be honest none of them at the moment are worth the bother. walked the length of the local high street on saturday but they dont really match the christmas deals at all (mostly around £290 with 2 games or 1 game + remote)

Im kind of assuming that either a price drop or new packs are in the offing soon.

ive got my 360 so can wait a while longer (want it as a blueray player first)

Zavvi have some great deals on including the 80GB alone for £250. That's at the Glasgow Buchannon St store at least.

not sure i would count £250 for a console alone a good deal if im honest. Many deals for £295 have two games anyway.

£250 for a console and game- now you're talking!

perhaps im living in a fantasy world- i may be waiting for a long time....

not sure i would count £250 for a console alone a good deal if im honest. Many deals for £295 have two games anyway.

£250 for a console and game- now you're talking!

perhaps im living in a fantasy world- i may be waiting for a long time....
How about £299.99 with 3 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom