Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards - news discussion

I don't think this is the case at all. My current projector cost £550 and is very decent for my needs. Yes, if I spent more then it would be even better, before diminishing returns kick in. So I think manufacturers do build really good projectors for under 1k, certainly good enough to get that big screen smile.

But the bigger point you are not seeing is that for the majority of people, they have an 'average' budget. Yes that is subjective, but I think compared to those who can spend 3k - 12k on a projector there are FAR more people on here could/would spend £500-£1k on a projector and ultimately the crux of the mater is that after a certain price point it doesn't matter how good the projector is. If it's too much then it's too much and the award/review doesn't mean much because for 95% of people it doesn't help them. It's like saying "you only get a good tv at 3k (good black levels, colour accuracy etc) so what's the point in reviewing 1k tv's that are not as good?". You review them because MOST people will spend that much money on a TV, otherwise you are reviewing TV's for the few, not the many and ultimately, what's the point in doing that? 10 people now know what TV to buy, 1000 people do not.

I'm really not having a go at the author, I think this place is fantastic and the article itself was really well written, but omitting a price point that the vast majority fall into makes the Awards utterly irrelevant to myself and I would imagine, most of the people who are on here.
I mean, I get it, and you're right in many ways. But I also feel like; there are any number of Bush 42" LCD TVs in Tesco for £200 and the like, and I wonder if that's not the equivalent? And then I think, you know, this is AVForums, a place for AV nerds. And I wonder how many AV nerds are buying those Bush TVs, which may very well be perfectly servable for Netflix etc. but is it really necessary to review them. Don't we all instinctively know they will offer something perfectly serviceable? And do we really want their picture and features rated on the same scale as Sonys and JVCs?

After all, a 4/10 for a £699 Benq projector helps no one. Not the owner, not the potential buyer. And it's not really something of interest to AV nerds. I dunno. Maybe I'm way off here and lots of people want to see this and I'm just this massively out of touch elitist ****er. 😂

I mean, I get it, and you're right in many ways. But I also feel like; there are any number of Bush 42" LCD TVs in Tesco for £200 and the like, and I wonder if that's not the equivalent? And then I think, you know, this is AVForums, a place for AV nerds. And I wonder how many AV nerds are buying those Bush TVs, which may very well be perfectly servable for Netflix etc. but is it really necessary to review them. Don't we all instinctively know they will offer something perfectly serviceable? And do we really want their picture and features rated on the same scale as Sonys and JVCs?

After all, a 4/10 for a £699 Benq projector helps no one. Not the owner, not the potential buyer. And it's not really something of interest to AV nerds. I dunno. Maybe I'm way off here and lots of people want to see this and I'm just this massively out of touch elitist ****er. 😂
I'd say that no-one really expects a review of a £200 Bush 42" tv on a AV site, but that is a very different proposition to a £500-£1k projector. I've included some links below to some previous projector reviews (one I bought) and all got an 8/10. It is mentioned and obviously implied that they won't be earth shatteringly amazing, but an 8/10 does give you some very valuable insight into how well it performs for that price point and all of them come out very well.

I could be wrong, but I'd imaging that the amount of people on here buying a 3k projector is what, 5% or less? That means 95% of people won't be. Then you have 7k projectors, are you down to 2% of people? So 98% won't be buying it. Then you have the 10k+ projectors which is probably less than 1% of people? So again, 99% of people won't be buying it. I have zero issue with projectors being reviewed at whatever price point, some people will be able to afford high end, but I think it's a little pointless to do an award section where for 95% or more people the results are totally irrelevant.... But that is just my personal opinion, so could be way off.

BenQ 1080p DLP Projector Review £700

Optoma HD27 | Optoma HD27 Projector Review £629

BenQ W1050 Full HD DLP Projector Review £700

but I think it's a little pointless to do an award section where for 95% or more people the results are totally irrelevant....
Does the award mean anything to most folk? I see it as more of an affiliation thing where some manufacturers, Samsung for one, use it as a logo on their box and website.

It is only recently that this AV nerd became salubrious enough to afford something like the Sony laser models.
So being a nerd doesn't mean you have a massive wodge of cash burning a hole in your back pocket.
Many AV nerds would like to know what the best is in the lower tiers where there are some extremely capable units.

Bit late to the party here but it's good to see Sony doing well. I'm still running a second-hand Sony VPL-VW520ES and just ordered its third bulb. Fantastic picture. I do crave more lumens (living room installation) and more bandwidth on the HDMI so that I can do 4k/60/HDR but, apart from that, I've seen no reason to upgrade in the past few years even though I'm suffering with upgraditis.

Might be a small error in the copy there. The VW790ES has an RRP of £11,999, not £9,999 as far as I'm aware.

The RRP had risen to £12,999 a few months back I believe?

However there are now several well known retailers openly advertising these brand new for only £9,999 :)

As someone else has pointed out, the list price is actually now £12,999, but Richer Sounds is selling the VW790ES for £9,999, so that's the best price it can currently be picked up for.

Not sure if this was clarified, but the VW790 price was repositioned to £9,999 in Nov.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom