Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards - news discussion

Curious as to how the manufacturer awarded 'best', doesn't manage to get any models with an award onto the roster....
:confused:

Curious as to how the manufacturer awarded 'best', doesn't manage to get any models with an award onto the roster....
:confused:
This year's list of best projectors is unusual because it doesn't feature JVC. These awards are only given to products reviewed in the last year, and the last JVC projector reviewed was the DLA-N5 back in 2020, so there were no new models to consider.

JVC have done really well to keep their older models current, but with more than a few years under their belts now I'd be wary shelling out new even with the exceptional support on show.

I watched The Suicide Squad last night on 4K disc on my N5 and that was pretty much audiovisual perfection. I’m stunned by what this projector can do with material that looks this good.

Might be a small error in the copy there. The VW790ES has an RRP of £11,999, not £9,999 as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the reviews Steve. It would be nice if going forward though there could be some reviews on some more realistically priced models though. I could be wrong, but I would guess there are a lot more people buying/tempted to buy models between £500-1K than there are at 3k-12k, especially with 3 of the 4 projectors mentioned being 7k and higher.. rarified air indeed..

Might be a small error in the copy there. The VW790ES has an RRP of £11,999, not £9,999 as far as I'm aware.
The RRP had risen to £12,999 a few months back I believe?

However there are now several well known retailers openly advertising these brand new for only £9,999 :)

i am not sure that the N5 is continuing in production as i understood the last delivery of new N5's into the UK may already have happened

there should be a bulb based replacement for the N5 in a few months time but surely the laser based machines will surely take priority at JVC

JVC have done really well to keep their older models current, but with more than a few years under their belts now I'd be wary shelling out new even with the exceptional support on show.
not sure why anyone would avoid the best available product just because it iwas not released in 2021 - all probably irrelevant as you will do well to get any of the N series new anyway.

the 3 sony projectors released in the last year are all "refreshes" of long established projectors in their lineup rather than a truly new release. i suspect the frame adapt hdr and theatre optimiser firmware updates added more performance benefits to the N series than the new sony models have added to the models they replaced

As someone else has pointed out, the list price is actually now £12,999, but Richer Sounds is selling the VW790ES for £9,999, so that's the best price it can currently be picked up for.

Nice to award JVC a participation prize now they have abandoned everything but the upper market.

As a lumagen owner I’d definitely go for a 790 @ £10k over the NZ7.

Nice to award JVC a participation prize now they have abandoned everything but the upper market.
hard to argue with this view - i bought an N5 2 years ago and continue to love the images it produces but the price to upgrade to even the NZ7 is far too rich for my blood to be even a consideration

i am not sure that the N5 is continuing in production as i understood the last delivery of new N5's into the UK may already have happened

there should be a bulb based replacement for the N5 in a few months time but surely the laser based machines will surely take priority at JVC
Last I heard on the NZ thread was that the N5 replacement was cancelled for the time being 🤷‍♂️

Last I heard on the NZ thread was that the N5 replacement was cancelled for the time being 🤷‍♂️
Yeah that’s what I heard too, or at least for the foreseeable future.

My projector cost £700 and it’s amazing. Colours are vibrant and natural, motion is about as good as I’ve seen: no blurring or jitter. A genuinely cinematic picture on 92”screen.

I’m sure the PJ’s listed here are superb, but many people can be perfectly happy, as am I, considerably further down the food chain. And not everyone is looking for a PJ in a dedicated bat cave. Mine is in the living room. So it would have been nice to see which PJ’s are the current pick at the £1k mark.

Sometimes budget does equal rubbish. But probably with current pricing an equivalent to my PJ would be about £1k now, but I would have no qualms at all recommending it.

The only criticism of my PJ compared to a TV is fan noise, but I would imagine that’s a criticism that would apply to many of those recommended here.

As a lumagen owner I’d definitely go for a 790 @ £10k over the NZ7.
Out of interest, what makes that such a slam-dunk for you? I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an NZ7 for close to that after a couple of calls around. Native contrast should be better on the JVC, the brightness is similar, you have the option of using the JVC DTM, probably wider colour gamut, more forward looking input capabilities with HDMI2.1, etc. About the only thing on paper the Sony has going for it at the moment is a bit more installation flexibility and you can actually buy it today, maybe a bit more intra-scene contrast.

My projector cost £700 and it’s amazing. Colours are vibrant and natural, motion is about as good as I’ve seen: no blurring or jitter. A genuinely cinematic picture on 92”screen.

I’m sure the PJ’s listed here are superb, but many people can be perfectly happy, as am I, considerably further down the food chain. And not everyone is looking for a PJ in a dedicated bat cave. Mine is in the living room. So it would have been nice to see which PJ’s are the current pick at the £1k mark.

Sometimes budget does equal rubbish. But probably with current pricing an equivalent to my PJ would be about £1k now, but I would have no qualms at all recommending it.

The only criticism of my PJ compared to a TV is fan noise, but I would imagine that’s a criticism that would apply to many of those recommended here.

Totally agree. Ive had a BenQ W2700 since release and echo most of your thoughts.

Fan noise is a big drawback that I never quite get used to and the PQ of my LG C9 is a big step up in all areas, but the projector does everything so well that it gets used 95% of the time in preference to the TV.

I don't think that you can beat the cinematic feel of a projector, and if I could justify one of these top models I'd definitely buy one over huge OLED, even if the price were the same.

Out of interest, what makes that such a slam-dunk for you? I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an NZ7 for close to that after a couple of calls around. Native contrast should be better on the JVC, the brightness is similar, you have the option of using the JVC DTM, probably wider colour gamut, more forward looking input capabilities with HDMI2.1, etc. About the only thing on paper the Sony has going for it at the moment is a bit more installation flexibility and you can actually buy it today, maybe a bit more intra-scene contrast.
I know most people looking to move up to this price of projectors probably don’t have a Lumagen so the appeal of the JVC’s internal DTM system makes it a front runner but when you already own a Lumagen it would be an interesting comparison. I sure would love an independent like Steve to do such a comparison because there’s sure to be some aspects of each better than the other.

I know most people looking to move up to this price of projectors probably don’t have a Lumagen so the appeal of the JVC’s internal DTM system makes it a front runner but when you already own a Lumagen it would be an interesting comparison. I sure would love an independent like Steve to do such a comparison because there’s sure to be some aspects of each better than the other.
We already know the JVC have far superior calibration capabilities and tracking, and then Sony is known for banding/ low bit resolution on the screen, and that cant be saved by any external processor.

Sounds like at least three things there.....
;)

disappointing to see a total lack of budget offerings, is this site moving even further toward high end niche products, if so why?, I doubt that 1% of people here would have this sort of money to spend.

To be fair to the site, don’t they also do a best value winner on some things? Although some equipment like the Trinnov’s and Sony‘s are out of reach for many, I do enjoy hearing about them. Knowing what’s best in a category helps, otherwise we’d all be content watching movies on cheap supermarket special televisions.

Its not as though AVforums haven’t reviewed several budget projectors in the last year. This is about the best, no?

We already know the JVC have far superior calibration capabilities and tracking, and then Sony is known for banding/ low bit resolution on the screen, and that cant be saved by any external processor.
Erm, nope, not on mine. My 590 hasn't exhibited any banding or low bit resolution.

Sounds like at least three things there.....
;)
Sure, a missing s... Question stands though. The OP posted in such a way that it was obvious that you'd go for the Sony, and I'm intrigued to know why, as it doesn't seem obvious at all to me (though the installation flexibility might well make it a no-brainer / non-choice in some installations).

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom