Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards - news discussion

There are 3 types of pj, Ultra Short throw, short throw and long throw. I would say most of the pj's on here are short throw.

Long throw were around a few years ago where you could place the pj 20ft or more from the screen and still get down to perhaps 100" or less image size.IIRC

way i see it UST or ultra short throw are mounted pretty much at the screen... eg one in the awards here...

short throw these days are (eg many DLPs that need to be pretty close to screen but not at screen... these are often for lounge room setups where a coffee table in the room is used for projector to fire up onto a wall... or necessitates the projector mounted on the ceiling forward of the main viewing / listening position given limited throw range of projectror

most projectors we are talking here can be mounted back behind main listening / viewing position to fire up on a decent sized screen :)

perhaps poster should clarify just what sort of throw considering and am sure folks can suggest something suitable ...

Yup sorry. Current PJ is an ancient 720p Optoma H56 with a 2-2.4 throw ration projecting a 274cm diag screen from approx. 5.5m from the back of my cinema room

Last time I looked almost everything on the market was short throw 0.38 - 1.4 (by one definition I read) except non cinema, presentation PJs? That was a while back to be fair but my impression is that most homes are small wanting short throw. I always wanted the PJ behind me to minimise noise and light distraction and don't particularly want to re-route cabling and repair my ceiling etc.

I reckoned I'd wait until 4k was reasonably priced and skip 1080 so here I am. I don't use the room much so don't want to spend a packet.

Not been keeping up with projector news recently but judging from this article doesn’t look like I missed much.

Yup sorry. Current PJ is an ancient 720p Optoma H56 with a 2-2.4 throw ration projecting a 274cm diag screen from approx. 5.5m from the back of my cinema room

Last time I looked almost everything on the market was short throw 0.38 - 1.4 (by one definition I read) except non cinema, presentation PJs? That was a while back to be fair but my impression is that most homes are small wanting short throw. I always wanted the PJ behind me to minimise noise and light distraction and don't particularly want to re-route cabling and repair my ceiling etc.

I reckoned I'd wait until 4k was reasonably priced and skip 1080 so here I am. I don't use the room much so don't want to spend a packet.
Thread bump- any current budget projectors with throw ratio around 2.4- my one has just died and like r21442 need a like for like replacement. Did you find one. Anyone else?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom