Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards - news discussion

Still on my Epson TW9200 great PJ if it ever packs in i'll go for a JVC

I think anyone with half a brain could have worked out which projectors won which category. LOL

Thanks Phil!
What is the best budget projector in your opinion?
'Budget' meaning under £1000 and under £2000

I'd liked to have seen a money no object category
Sadly, 2020 has been a tricky year for all of us and we haven't had the opportunity to see and review such items. Fingers crossed next year allows more chances to get the big hitters in for review.

How about a normal short throw category as well as the ultra short?

Would have rather had a bit more of an indepth review and one which didn't sit on the fence with the whole DLP vs Epson question.

E.g. best gaming projector, best lazer projector, best living room PJ, best UST PJ, best dark room PJ, projector of the year etc.

Just think projection has so much variation going for it and so many use cases and scenarios that to just render it down to 3 categories.. is a bit meh.

Would have rather had a bit more of an indepth review and one which didn't sit on the fence with the whole DLP vs Epson question.
There are in-depth reviews for each of the products picked, click on the reviews tab in the menu bar above and you'll find them under the Home AV hub. The criteria for the awards is that we have to have reviewed the products in question in the last 12 months.

E.g. best gaming projector, best lazer projector, best living room PJ, best UST PJ, best dark room PJ, projector of the year etc.

Just think projection has so much variation going for it and so many use cases and scenarios that to just render it down to 3 categories.. is a bit meh.
It's 2020 and we have had this thing called Covid, you may have heard of it. This has impacted on the number of reviews we have been able to do this year. Mainly because big companies for most of the lockdowns have put staff on furlough and they haven't been launching any new product in the same numbers as they would in a normal year. I would love to have more categories, but at the moment we can only review what is in front of us.

Is the worse resolution of the Epson 9400 obvious compared to a DLP? I.e. the approx 4mp vs 8.3mp of a faux 4K DLP.

i have a JVC N5 now and previously owned an Epson 9300 which is i assume performs on resolution very similarly to a 9400. both used a 106" screen viewed from about 11'.

on pure image sharpness alone the JVC is more detailed and the image is noise free compared to my epson but that is not to say that the epson wasnt in turn massively crisper in image than my previous Sony HW55ES

i very much doubt that you would be unhappy with the epson

but there is so much more to an image than resolution alone and it is on brightness, black level, contrast, shadow detail, colour depth and volume and HDR handling that the epson betters DLP projectors and why the 9400 is next to impossible to beat as a home cinema projector at the £2500 price level

the N5 is a lot better than a 9400 but it is more than twice the price so it should be i guess

Hi Phil it would be useful to show the prices of the winners :)

That has always been the problem with LCD machines, dust blobs are a pain in the ass.:(

DLP have rainbows and poor blacks, LCD have dust blobs, that's why most true home cinema enthusiasts with a decent budget go for JVC. :)

DLP have rainbows and poor blacks, LCD have dust blobs, that's why most true home cinema enthusiasts with a decent budget go for JVC. :)
Rather harsh assessment there, but sadly true. I still very much miss my JVC HD-1. I've taken the big TV route for years now but still waiting for some innovation in the projector space, which seems to have stagnated or slowed to a crawl. DLPs, I find are harsh on my eyes, plus the RBE ruins them for me, and whilst I've been tempted by the Epson 9400, the lack of a sealed light engine, not true 4k and still bulb based, same old same old. I would have expected true 4K (non-DLP) laser light engined projectors by now in the high end £4-6k range, rather than the Ultra high end £10k plus range they still inhabit.

I keep hoping Epson, Sony or JVC, will make an affordability leap with a new projector that will disrupt the landscape and move things on like the JVC HD-1 did.

JVC I have heard miserable things about their warranty and as far as I know its not easily transferable which is a turn off for the brand.
Also sadly, the price of entry into JVC this generation has been pretty high at £6.5k.
Also the official bulb's seem obscenely priced if you want to get them with housing for an easy replacement.

Although I love what they do and think they are the best, those two issues could do with some support and correction. Epson for example in the UK off 5 year warranty on the PJ and the bulb.

If they could next year release a PJ which hits the £3.5k-4k price point, it would be an amazing direction for JVC to take and will be surely set for domination of the projector world at that point.

The £6.5k price is just.. a lot. Sure if you are in home cinema tunnel vision europhia, you will part with the cash. I nearly did earlier this year but then when I got an awakening to what else I could do with that money.. it just brings you back home how inaccessible the product is for a lot of ppl.

never had a dust blob

You haven't lived, they are excellent around the house.

1E2DF624-519C-40E8-9F28-0DF677965B5A.jpeg

Out of interest, does anyone do long throw PJs any more?

I could research but I am a lazy b******* and this forum is so knowledgeable.

Out of interest, does anyone do long throw PJs any more?
long throw ? as in opposite of short throw ? if thats what looking thats pretty much the projectors we are talking about here

short throw projectors on other hand are another category of projector.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom