1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Projector For The Money?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by charles, Dec 31, 2000.

1. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    O.k...you know my views on the ellie-when i bought i auditioned everything bar the seleco ht200-i.m.h.o.the ellie had the most cinematic picture.(..in fact when i bought the ellie,i had just come from a demo of the sony)
    I have since seen the Seleco and would say,bar the ellie,it has the best picture currently available under 6k.
    But the best bargain,picture for price?...without a doubt-the toshiba mt1 at 2.5k.

The sony nicks it from the Tosh-but is-at least-2k more expensive.(the new Tosh mt2z should be a brilliant bet if you cant go for the ellie..)

The new Hitachi lcd-with their track record should be worth a look.

So the rankings?...based on picture for price AND best picture-taking into account all failings known to to the different technologies....(1)Ellie..(2)Toshiba...(3)Seleco....(4)Sony.

IF.. the Seleco was 3k,it would go to number 2 no problem.

I think people must remember not to necessarily equate more expensive with better,the ellie is 4k-but worth 6k...the seleco is 6k-but worth 3-4k...the sony is 4-5k-but worth 3k.

The Toshiba is 2.5k-which is about right,in fact the only correctly priced product of the 4.So solely on value the Toshiba is the runaway winner. And this is the trick-getting the best possible for the money..i think discounting the ellie,there is a nats between the other three-so it comes down to price...all good products..but i cant help feeling,that the Seleco and the Sony are ripping us off pricewise-and the reviewers are fuelling this-if you have a smaller room than 12ft square go for dlp or lcd...above this go for crt-but be under no illusion what the best picture is-crt.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The new Sanyo PLV30 could well knock the Hitachi out of your top 4. Its certainly well worth a look.

Very small and quiet (39dB) yet has the biggest contrast ratio of any LCD (400:1).

Other specs include: 3 chip SVGA, digital keystone, 500 ANSI, excellent blacks for LCD, 4:3 & 16:9 compatible, Composite, S and Component inputs. Also compatible with Progressive Scan Component from the Pioneer 737 & Sony 9000.

Retail is £2300 inc VAT.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    This is one of the most sensible posts i have read!. Not biased, not defensive, just common sense based on the fact that not all people have unlimited budgets or expectations. Also people need differant things from there projectors. I wanted to watch 4.3 TV/ 16.9(2.35:1) films/ but also be able to play fight sim (800x600) though my computer on a large screen without worrying about phosphur burn (ie static graphics). If i was just going to watch DVD's i have no doubts CRT gives the best filmatic pictures without the screen door effect of LCD. But for my needs the TOSHIBA MT1z fits.

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

4. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Chris,the hitachi`s not in my top four...

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Apologies Charles, too much Christmas cheer!

I meant the Toshiba of course.