Best Projector for my room and budget

TeaPot91

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I am hoping for some advice on what is my best projector to get within my budget and room setup.
I have a 4mx3m room, white walls and ceilings and a light grey carpet. I have a window behind my screen however my screen is an ALR screen (100 inch) and I will have control of blinds/curtains to help darken if needed however if if the room can be light and watch too that’s a bonus for daytime watching especially with the kids.

I am looking to spend 2k max on a projector and happy to go used, but would like something with warranty if possible.

I have been looking at Epson 9400’s and I think these will be suitable for my needs however I am unsure as it is not native 4K, but pixel shift. Is that really a difference and am i best to get a native 4K? I would appreciate advice on both that and alternatives that I can look out for if there are any.

Thanks in advance

with a window behind your screen, just be aware... a screen is not a block out blind and they aren't designed really to have bright light behind them. will no 1 have to do something with that window...if i have read that correctly ie you have a window behind your screen.

I have been looking at Epson 9400’s and I think these will be suitable for my needs however I am unsure as it is not native 4K, but pixel shift. Is that really a difference and am i best to get a native 4K? I would appreciate advice on both that and alternatives that I can look out for if there are any.
I might be wrong where you are but i dont think you are going to find a native 4k machine at $2k ? or is that 2k GBP ? either way id doubt it ...

the epsons are pixel shift but do a pretty good job. no they are not 4k native but can achieve i beleive something in order of 3k which is actually what most 4k discs provide in any case... in many cases they are 2k actual detail at best ie where they had had a 2k DI (digital intermediate) in processing. where would see a difference is in a clarity, clean clear nature to the picture you see iwht 4k native as there isnt the pixel shift processing going on, plus you will see a bit more detail with some movies... but still the epson 9400 is VERY decent and for budget id go for it without a thought :)

please also factor in cable and mount and also installation if thats not for you. these are all heavy and serious projectors and need to be well installed.

re light control in the room... will find when get projector ... its actually direct light onto screen thats the killer ...indirect light even with a white screen its amazing how much can get away with :) so i wouldn't worry too much if have blinds and such... you can close some appropriately and leave others open and still have a pretty decent result with even a white screen let alone ALR... this is all for non critical viewing obviously... for more critical ofcoruse no matter the projector or screen i would make sure all ambient light is eliminated :)

with a window behind your screen, just be aware... a screen is not a block out blind and they aren't designed really to have bright light behind them. will no 1 have to do something with that window...if i have read that correctly ie you have a window behind your screen.

I might be wrong where you are but i dont think you are going to find a native 4k machine at $2k ? or is that 2k GBP ? either way id doubt it ...

the epsons are pixel shift but do a pretty good job. no they are not 4k native but can achieve i beleive something in order of 3k which is actually what most 4k discs provide in any case... in many cases they are 2k actual detail at best ie where they had had a 2k DI (digital intermediate) in processing. where would see a difference is in a clarity, clean clear nature to the picture you see iwht 4k native as there isnt the pixel shift processing going on, plus you will see a bit more detail with some movies... but still the epson 9400 is VERY decent and for budget id go for it without a thought :)

please also factor in cable and mount and also installation if thats not for you. these are all heavy and serious projectors and need to be well installed.

re light control in the room... will find when get projector ... its actually direct light onto screen thats the killer ...indirect light even with a white screen its amazing how much can get away with :) so i wouldn't worry too much if have blinds and such... you can close some appropriately and leave others open and still have a pretty decent result with even a white screen let alone ALR... this is all for non critical viewing obviously... for more critical ofcoruse no matter the projector or screen i would make sure all ambient light is eliminated :)

Hi, it is £2000 I am meaning. There is a 520es I can get for that price but it has no warranty which worries me. Ideally I don’t want to stretch any more as I’m already way over budget with the whole project.

I do have blinds etc behind the screen which I can close. I think what you are saying is I probably won’t notice much or any difference if I watched a movie side by side with a 9400 and a native 4K?

thanks

Hi, it is £2000 I am meaning. There is a 520es I can get for that price but it has no warranty which worries me. Ideally I don’t want to stretch any more as I’m already way over budget with the whole project.
the 520ES had a 10gbps hdmi chipset, not 18gbps of later machines and really for the money going for ...i would have expected full bandwidth the conception like jvc offered at the time. the 570es is really first sony worth getting... rest were all missing something or other prior ! if over budget its simple ...get whats in budget :)

I do have blinds etc behind the screen which I can close. I think what you are saying is I probably won’t notice much or any difference if I watched a movie side by side with a 9400 and a native 4K?
good to hear on the blinds... no not saying that at all. if looking side by side can easily show you.... but you wont be looking side by side and also if not something in budget its not worth worrying about... you will still get a pretty decent result with the epson. there is always something better what ever you buy ...but also can be happy with what can get and afford :)

the 520ES had a 10gbps hdmi chipset, not 18gbps of later machines and really for the money going for ...i would have expected full bandwidth the conception like jvc offered at the time. the 570es is really first sony worth getting... rest were all missing something or other prior ! if over budget its simple ...get whats in budget :)

good to hear on the blinds... no not saying that at all. if looking side by side can easily show you.... but you wont be looking side by side and also if not something in budget its not worth worrying about... you will still get a pretty decent result with the epson. there is always something better what ever you buy ...but also can be happy with what can get and afford :)

Thank you, I think it looks like 9400 is my option!

Second hand JVC or Epson. If you aren't going to treat your room, Epson & the warranty and it being near-new & cheap bulbs & bigger image for the throw distance & light cannon mode will obviously be a lot more advantageous than a second hand JVC.

Second hand JVC will give better contrast, blacks, motion, better pixel fill, more natural picture, overall PQ just simply better, etc IMO.

If in a treated room, I'd no doubt go JVC.
In an untreated room, just weight up the factors above and decide which you'd rather go wit h.

Second hand JVC or Epson. If you aren't going to treat your room, Epson & the warranty and it being near-new & cheap bulbs & bigger image for the throw distance & light cannon mode will obviously be a lot more advantageous than a second hand JVC.

Second hand JVC will give better contrast, blacks, motion, better pixel fill, more natural picture, overall PQ just simply better, etc IMO.

If in a treated room, I'd no doubt go JVC.
In an untreated room, just weight up the factors above and decide which you'd rather go wit h.

Thank you for the info. What do you mean by a treated room? As in black walls etc?

Can you recommend some models to look for in JVC?

Nice x5000 for sale on here
Thanks I will Have a look

Thank you, I think it looks like 9400 is my option!
for buying brand new ... 100% it is the option.... you can look 2nd hand for JVC as mentioned ... its just with usual pitfalls of buying 2nd hand and worth your own due diligence that no one here can do for you :)

Thank you for the info. What do you mean by a treated room? As in black walls etc?

Can you recommend some models to look for in JVC?
possible you could go the black velvet walls, black velvet ceiling, black carpet and black furniture etc for a black hole light sucking room, But i suspect there are limitations with what can do in a non dedicated room. in my own experience even with a non dedicated room. white walls typical longe room... you will see contrast benefit and pure picture quality benefits of projector like JVC. with treatments at the very least you need light control. ie eliminating ambient light(even with an ALR screen). any ambient light will impact any projector. projectors with higher contrast will still have higher contrast vs projector with lower contrast. its not like how have seen some claim over years that oh just because you have a non dedicated room you cant see benefit of higher contrast capability. not true at all.

with JVC if wanting to get something better than epson and with 4k uhd capability, i would consider something in the JVC X5000/7000/9000 to x5500/x7500/x9500 or x5900/x7900/x9900 ie something from last 5 years... with all these and epson included, a calibration will be essential to get the best... especially and even more so in your non dedicated area to get the best from :)

Looks like that is similar to the 9400 using pixel shifting but at half the price. How do they compare?
we did that to death just only recently with the jvc x5000 vs epson 9400 thread :) everything needing to be said is likely been said there, not sure much more to glean from that topic...

in that thread though we were talking about a jvc x5000 supposedly "new" from ebay which had all sorts of alarm bells. if there is a x5000 at half the price of the epson. i would certainly consider it... any money saved... id pool in for a new bulb(just incase other is well used) and go genuine new bulb and get a pro calibration factored in and there you will have a gorgeous end result be very happy with :)

Last edited:
For your screen size you need a jvc X35 or X500 if later models you need a X7000/ 7500 or 7900 otherwise you cant controle light output on your screen.

Looks like that is similar to the 9400 using pixel shifting but at half the price. How do they compare?

X5000
Better blacks (insanely good for dark rooms)
Better contrast
Better motion
Smoother pixel fill

9300/9400
Better maximum brightness (great for white wall rooms)
Bigger maximum image size
Better lamp life
Cheaper lamps
Better next-day service warranty for 6 years from purchase date
Full iris control to step down iris
Better HDR support

Take into account the X5000 on the market place has a lot of hours already on the lamp and projector, so that'd need replacing soon-ish ontop of if you have any issues, you're stuffed.

JVC are pretty renowned as having the worst customer service and Epson having the best in the projector world. Personally, I'd only go for a second hand JVC which has a spare original bulb or has a very healthy discount. Buying new, I'd buy a new JVC in a heartbeat from a good reputable dealer, known for sorting out issues. Having read people's experiences with JVC, I'd want to steer clear of direct communication with them.

Epson Customer service is amongst the best I've ever encountered in any shape or form. Online chat, next day pick up, delivery as soon as its fixed, warranty on PJ and bulb, will give you replacement emitters, bulbs, projectors; very quickly. They don't troubleshoot for too long. 2-3 emails maximum and they'll then just ask for your address.

Also really do factor in bulb prices. For an original JVC lamp, its expensive.

The killer features for JVC are frankly, the better image (motion/black/contrast/pixel fill).

The killer features for Epson are the versatility it provides with the lumen output, support, warranty, cheap bulbs and the little things like it throws a slightly bigger image so placement issues are less stressful in small rooms.

For someone new to projection, I'd easily recommend a new Epson. Things can go wrong with a projector, and if they do, you just want an easy life. However if you want the best image quality possible, get shopping for a JVC.

However the other side of the coin; I don't see many JVC owners changing to Epson but you will see many Epson owners going to JVC.

____

Speaking frankly, in your case I'd get an Epson in a heartbeat and concentrate on room treatments. Even with an ALR screen, your image will dramatically improve with either painting the walls (ideally black but I've had phenomenal results with Natural Slate on the walls and Gallant Grey on the ceilings) or some black curtains which can go across the entire wall to limit reflections.

Last edited:
for buying brand new ... 100% it is the option.... you can look 2nd hand for JVC as mentioned ... its just with usual pitfalls of buying 2nd hand and worth your own due diligence that no one here can do for you :)

possible you could go the black velvet walls, black velvet ceiling, black carpet and black furniture etc for a black hole light sucking room, But i suspect there are limitations with what can do in a non dedicated room. in my own experience even with a non dedicated room. white walls typical longe room... you will see contrast benefit and pure picture quality benefits of projector like JVC. with treatments at the very least you need light control. ie eliminating ambient light(even with an ALR screen). any ambient light will impact any projector. projectors with higher contrast will still have higher contrast vs projector with lower contrast. its not like how have seen some claim over years that oh just because you have a non dedicated room you cant see benefit of higher contrast capability. not true at all.

with JVC if wanting to get something better than epson and with 4k uhd capability, i would consider something in the JVC X5000/7000/9000 to x5500/x7500/x9500 or x5900/x7900/x9900 ie something from last 5 years... with all these and epson included, a calibration will be essential to get the best... especially and even more so in your non dedicated area to get the best from :)

we did that to death just only recently with the jvc x5000 vs epson 9400 thread :) everything needing to be said is likely been said there, not sure much more to glean from that topic...

in that thread though we were talking about a jvc x5000 supposedly "new" from ebay which had all sorts of alarm bells. if there is a x5000 at half the price of the epson. i would certainly consider it... any money saved... id pool in for a new bulb(just incase other is well used) and go genuine new bulb and get a pro calibration factored in and there you will have a gorgeous end result be very happy with :)

Thanks, I read that thread and I think I will get the 9400, it has warranty and isn’t as old etc. They look to have pro and cons for both options but I can get a 9400 with warranty until late 2023 with a spare bulb for £2000 or risk the jvc for cheaper but then need a bulb etc. I think it’s my best option.
For your screen size you need a jvc X35 or X500 if later models you need a X7000/ 7500 or 7900 otherwise you cant controle light output on your screen.

thank you
X5000
Better blacks (insanely good for dark rooms)
Better contrast
Better motion
Smoother pixel fill

9300/9400
Better maximum brightness (great for white wall rooms)
Bigger maximum image size
Better lamp life
Cheaper lamps
Better next-day service warranty for 6 years from purchase date
Full iris control to step down iris
Better HDR support

Take into account the X5000 on the market place has a lot of hours already on the lamp and projector, so that'd need replacing soon-ish ontop of if you have any issues, you're stuffed.

JVC are pretty renowned as having the worst customer service and Epson having the best in the projector world. Personally, I'd only go for a second hand JVC which has a spare original bulb or has a very healthy discount. Buying new, I'd buy a new JVC in a heartbeat from a good reputable dealer, known for sorting out issues. Having read people's experiences with JVC, I'd want to steer clear of direct communication with them.

Epson Customer service is amongst the best I've ever encountered in any shape or form. Online chat, next day pick up, delivery as soon as its fixed, warranty on PJ and bulb, will give you replacement emitters, bulbs, projectors; very quickly. They don't troubleshoot for too long. 2-3 emails maximum and they'll then just ask for your address.

Also really do factor in bulb prices. For an original JVC lamp, its expensive.

The killer features for JVC are frankly, the better image (motion/black/contrast/pixel fill).

The killer features for Epson are the versatility it provides with the lumen output, support, warranty, cheap bulbs and the little things like it throws a slightly bigger image so placement issues are less stressful in small rooms.

For someone new to projection, I'd easily recommend a new Epson. Things can go wrong with a projector, and if they do, you just want an easy life. However if you want the best image quality possible, get shopping for a JVC.

However the other side of the coin; I don't see many JVC owners changing to Epson but you will see many Epson owners going to JVC.

____

Speaking frankly, in your case I'd get an Epson in a heartbeat and concentrate on room treatments. Even with an ALR screen, your image will dramatically improve with either painting the walls (ideally black but I've had phenomenal results with Natural Slate on the walls and Gallant Grey on the ceilings) or some black curtains which can go across the entire wall to limit reflections.

Thank you I think I am going to go with the epson as per comments aboce in this reply.

Thanks all

Thanks, I read that thread and I think I will get the 9400, it has warranty and isn’t as old etc. They look to have pro and cons for both options but I can get a 9400 with warranty until late 2023 with a spare bulb for £2000 or risk the jvc for cheaper but then need a bulb etc. I think it’s my best option.

Good decision :) wish well with new purchase and many years of enjoyment :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom