Question Best projector for both games and movies?

tkm16

Novice Member
Hi all,

First off, I'm a complete novice in the world of projectors (this being my first one) so go easy! :)

I'm looking for a projector best suited to both watching movies and playing games (pc) if there is such a thing. I have been searching online/reading reviews etc of what seems like hundreds of projectors and I have only come across a few which may be suitable, but they all seem to have their own flaws in one way or another.
The room which it will be going in is currently awaiting re-skimming then the surrounding walls/ceiling I was going to paint black and install a total blackout blind across the rear window so the room will have almost no external light entering the room.
I was initially going to project straight onto a painted white wall but I have recently read a screen may be better than a treated wall? The plasterer knows the surface if going to be used as a screen so I would hope imperfections will be minimal, and I was going to use a screen paint.
The projection area is between 90-100 inch depending on how close to the wall I go with the seating area around 4 meters away. Initially I looked for a true 4K projector which was both good for movies and games but then realised it was beyond my budget.

Specs required include:

4K (or upscaled by a technology) @60hz/1080P 60hz+
low input lag
3D compatible
low-ish noise levels

The projector can be mounted on the ceiling or on a cabinet close to the screen

So far I've looked at the following:

Epson EH-TW9400
Optima UHD42
Espon LS-500B

Anyone got any other suggestions? I'd like to keep the price below £3k if possible...

Thanks!:D

noob0101

Hi all,

First off, I'm a complete novice in the world of projectors (this being my first one) so go easy! :)

I'm looking for a projector best suited to both watching movies and playing games (pc) if there is such a thing. I have been searching online/reading reviews etc of what seems like hundreds of projectors and I have only come across a few which may be suitable, but they all seem to have their own flaws in one way or another.
The room which it will be going in is currently awaiting re-skimming then the surrounding walls/ceiling I was going to paint black and install a total blackout blind across the rear window so the room will have almost no external light entering the room.
I was initially going to project straight onto a painted white wall but I have recently read a screen may be better than a treated wall? The plasterer knows the surface if going to be used as a screen so I would hope imperfections will be minimal, and I was going to use a screen paint.
The projection area is between 90-100 inch depending on how close to the wall I go with the seating area around 4 meters away. Initially I looked for a true 4K projector which was both good for movies and games but then realised it was beyond my budget.

Specs required include:

4K (or upscaled by a technology) @60hz/1080P 60hz+
low input lag
3D compatible
low-ish noise levels

The projector can be mounted on the ceiling or on a cabinet close to the screen

So far I've looked at the following:

Epson EH-TW9400
Optima UHD42
Espon LS-500B

Anyone got any other suggestions? I'd like to keep the price below £3k if possible...

Thanks!:D
What is the source for movies/TV?

How large is the screen area, width + height?

Seating is at 4m?

What is 90-100"?

Percentage of movies/TV/gaming/3D? 3D movies or 3D gaming?

What do you consider low lag?

Can you do DIY for painting a screen/wall, with a paint gun?

tkm16

Novice Member
I will be using Netflix, BT sport, Amazon prime and sky go. The maximum screen area is 90 inch wide by 60 inch height.
It will most likely be around 70% games, which is why I was looking at projectors with less than 50ms lag. The type of screen I get is still undecided.. I'm not sure if a painted wall will suffice?!

noob0101

I will be using Netflix, BT sport, Amazon prime and sky go. The maximum screen area is 90 inch wide by 60 inch height.
It will most likely be around 70% games, which is why I was looking at projectors with less than 50ms lag. The type of screen I get is still undecided.. I'm not sure if a painted wall will suffice?!
But what is the source for the movies and TV? What device?

Paint mixes can be great in quality, better than a lot of screens. Just create a new thread here:

How much 3D will you watch?

The biggest problem here is the small screen size vis a vis seating distance.

4m and a screen with 90" width (103" diagonal) will be very small IMO.
The general ratio is 10-12" (or more) for every foot/30.48cm in distance.
4m would mean a screen of 130 to 155" or more in diagonal:

Not sure what the setup is, if or how a larger screen can be accomodated.

Placing the seating closer does not necessarily mean you'll get the same effect.

tkm16

Novice Member
But what is the source for the movies and TV? What device?

Paint mixes can be great in quality, better than a lot of screens. Just create a new thread here:

How much 3D will you watch?

The biggest problem here is the small screen size vis a vis seating distance.

4m and a screen with 90" width (103" diagonal) will be very small IMO.
The general ratio is 10-12" (or more) for every foot/30.48cm in distance.
4m would mean a screen of 130 to 155" or more in diagonal:

Not sure what the setup is, if or how a larger screen can be accomodated.

Placing the seating closer does not necessarily mean you'll get the same effect.
Sorry missed that part... I was going to connect the Projector to my PC and eventually run another input from my Sky go box.
It will most likely be the kids which will watch 3D movies, so not that many really, maybe 5-10% of the time.
I didn't realise it would look small, I used this website which made me think it would be ok

noob0101

Sorry missed that part... I was going to connect the Projector to my PC and eventually run another input from my Sky go box.
It will most likely be the kids which will watch 3D movies, so not that many really, maybe 5-10% of the time.
I didn't realise it would look small, I used this website which made me think it would be ok

That's not how that works. Sharpnes perception/detail can be affected by many aspects.

The ratios in the previous post are general.

You have to watch the projector for a while before deciding. But for most people, 100" from 4m is too small.

Don't use those charts, they are not useful.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Go Epson 9400. IMO its just the complete package.

Premium build quality, electronic zoom and lens shift, 3D is great, 2D is excellent.. Brightness is off the charts.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony XH95 TV, Klipsch The Fives Speakers & Bias Light Reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom