Best projector for around £2000

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guys I'm looking at upgrading my optoma hd700x which was my first delve into peojectors, I'm looking to spend about £2000 although that isn't set in stone, I could increase my budget if needs be, I've been reading reviews on the JVC DLA-X3 which has favourable reviews but it seems to struggle with alot of crosstalk on 3D images, I've also been reading reviews on the optoma hd33 which is meant to be good for 3D but not the best for 2D, hopefully someone could recommend a projector that is great for both 2D and 3D although I'll probably using it mostly for 2D, I'd say 80% for 2D and 20% for 3D, any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance for any recommends

Last edited:
Hi Frankie

£2k is a funny price especially if you want new, and at the moment most 3D projectors seem to have some kind of issue with xtalk.

I have seen a few 3D machines (GT750/HD33/TW6000/X30/X70/SIM2) the SIM was the only one that was awesome with both 2D & 3D but it costs £35k:eek:

You could get a HD33 which is well under budget great with 3D but not as good 2D regarding blacks etc.

The Epson's are the same until you get up to the TW9000 but it's well over £2k.

I am particularly impressed by the JVC X30 in 2D and they can be had for under £2k if you look hard enough sometimes without emitter or glasses which you can get later if required.

The 3D can suffer from some xtalk though so you need to decide which is more important,superb 2D performance with medocre 3D or superb 3D with mediocre 2D.

There does not seem to be a package out there at this price level that does both very well, maybe next near someone will crack it.

If it was my money I would get an X30 for under £2k and not worry too much about the 3D which lets face it will only be 10% or so of what you are likely to watch anyway (in my case anyway).

Cheers

Keith

as Keith says the X30 is the best for 2d, although i`d like to know where you can get a bonafide one for £2k please ;)

typically if you purchase from an authorised JVC HD World dealer you will pay around £2500, with this you will get a 3yr HD World warranty as well so beware of the warranty situation if purchasing elsewhere.

The Sony HW30 should also be considered, this is good with both 2d and 3d, the Epson 9000 has more lumens output than the other 2 mentioned and lends itself to be the favourite for an ambient lit room such as a living room especially when used with the correct screen.

i`ve learnt only this morning of something coming soon at £2k which should be a great buy but its not out until towards the year end

Allan @ Ideal AV

ps. don`t ask what it is as we don`t know as yet but its from a very good source ;)

Hi Allan the sub £2k price is a bona fide source and it has been mentioned on here before, they are ex dem though with very low hours and only come with a 12 month warranty.

As you say brand new with 3yr warranty in 2D form nearer £2.5k is the sort of price to expect.:)

It will be interesting to see what is going to come out when this years new models are announced, I look forward with baited breath.:thumbsup:

As Allan says, the Sony is quite well received as a 'good at both' projector, good 2d, not too far off x30 quality and good 3d, not far off dlp performance.

I wish he didn't throw that little nugget out about the new release- I thought I was done with changing projectors this year :devil:

Thanks guys I will have a read up on the Sony, the jvc is probably my number one choice at the minute then, and like I said my budget can be upped from £2000, it's just what I'm telling myself I should spend ;-)
I really would like one that's great for 2d and 3d, not asking much at this price point am I haha

Never mind 2 & 3 think 4, 4k that is:laugh:

kbfern said:
Never mind 2 & 3 think 4, 4k that is:laugh:

The missus would castrate me if I spent £4000!!!
I could just tell her it cost £2000 and she would be none the wiser unless she used google to check lol

Don't forget the optoma hd83 , and what are your room conditions like if it's a normal living room you won't get the best out of the jvc

toddy28 said:
Don't forget the optoma hd83 , and what are your room conditions like if it's a normal living room you won't get the best out of the jvc

It's a dedicated room and it hasn't got any windows so it will be like a batcave so I have no issues there, I'll have a google on the hd83

4k as in 4096 x 2034 = 4k resolution, they next step forward:thumbsup:

I'm selling my Panasonic AE5000 in the classifieds and could knock some off the price if you're interested but if you can afford it from the reading I've done since it looks like the JVC is a better deal (there's a review on both in the AV reviews section). Depends on your budget I guess and placement. Personally I'm disappointed with the lens shift on the Panny, hence the sale

It's a dedicated room and it hasn't got any windows so it will be like a batcave so I have no issues there, I'll have a google on the hd83

if its a dedicated room and 2d is the majority viewing then get the JVC X30, its no slouch for 3d either I feel, certainly not as bad as what I sometimes read

Allan

Thanks bravogolf but I'm ideally wanting to buy new for warranty purposes, and thanks Allan, does anyone know of anywhere in the midlands that does a demo of the Sony or jvc?

we aren`t in the midlands i`m afraid but you`d be very welcome, people come a whole lot further ;)

we have Sony Epson and JVC for you to see as well, and in a light and dark room so you can see the differences

Allan

Ideal AV said:
we aren`t in the midlands i`m afraid but you`d be very welcome, people come a whole lot further ;)

we have Sony Epson and JVC for you to see as well, and in a light and dark room so you can see the differences

Allan

Where are you exactly Allan? I'm off work Friday and Monday
Edit: don't worry I found your location, it's about 2 hours from me, I'll have a think about it as I don't fancy a 4 hour round trip, thanks for the offer though Allan it's appreciated

Last edited:
Where are you exactly Allan? I'm off work Friday and Monday
Edit: don't worry I found your location, it's about 2 hours from me, I'll have a think about it as I don't fancy a 4 hour round trip, thanks for the offer though Allan it's appreciated

we are in West Yorkshire at Normanton, very close to jnc31 M62

friday is good and so is the weekend as yet if you want to arrange a demo

all details can be found on my website or here

cheers Allan

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom