Best projector for 3K

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Up Tempo, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Up Tempo

Up Tempo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which is the best projector for £3000?

Seen the Panasonic PT-AT6000E and Epson TW9000W.

Both appear to get excellent reviews on AVForums with the Epson having more reference scores to it's name.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these projectors? :smashin:

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Personally I would go for the JVC X35 or the soon to be released Sony HW55 or 60 I think it will be called.

3. NickEdin

NickEdin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I would be looking at the Sony HW50 from the current crop.

4. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    You'll probably be not to please to know that there is no answer as to which is best. For example, the Epson might have the edge on picture quality over the Panasonic, but the Panasonic has extra features like motorised lens, lens memory presets etc...

KB mentions the Sony and JVC projector, both of which are strong contenders as being the 'best'.

The hard part is to work out which is 'best' for you. To do that, we need to know everything about your room (decor/colour/lighting/light control), your equipment, your preferences, what you like best in a picture (contrast/sharpness/colour/motion) what size of screen you want/are using, how close you sit to said screen.
    If you provide all of that, we can start suggesting what projectors would likely be a good match for you.
    Also note the Optoma HD91 which is due out soon - that may be a fine machine to add into the mix.

5. Up Tempo

Up Tempo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My room is 4.5m x 5.5m square. Proposed screen size either 77in or 92in as yet to make up my mind. Projector will be located on the ceiling approx 4.5 metres from the screen above the veiwing position. Room currently fitted with blackout blinds and curtains which do a great job of blocking any unwanted light. The walls are neutral in colour with no mirrors or excessively reflective furnishings.

Current set-up includes Denon DBT3313UD, DENON AVR3313 with Monitor Audio BX2 AV speakers.

:smashin:

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    If you are projecting onto the 5.5m wall depending on your room shape and seating distance I would not buy any projector to project smaller than 100" diagonal, 77" (if that's diagonal or even wide) is too small IMV, go as big as is possible or you will regret it later.

To get the best image possible your room needs to be a dark as possible rather than neutral, if you can't get darker consider a special screen like the Draper React II which does wonders for rooms with ambient light or light coloured decor.They are expensive though (£1500 approx depending on size) but better than a standard white screen or better even than a normal grey high contrast screen.

7. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,787
    I'm considering the Panny myself. I'll be only 9-10 feet from the screen and according to this calculator I'd be well advised to go no larger than 80".

8. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    At £2000 the Epson TW8100. The TW9000W is last year's model.

The TW8100 is on offer with a 5 year projector and lamp warranty as well

9. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    I am 8-9ft max from my 106" diagonal and it is just right, I only watch 1080p blurays though, it would be too big for sd material.

10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Personally whilst I do like Epson projectors they do seem prone as do most LCD models to collecting dust blobs. If spending this sort of money I would prefer something with a sealed light path myself which means D-ila/SXRD Tech from JVC/Sony or DLP models.

11. hati

hati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    THX recommended viewing distance is 9 feet for 80" screen and 10 feet for 90" screen but viewing distance is very personal thing. Some think that 80" from 9 feet is too close and others think it's too far.

I have small space for projector and currently have 2,1m wide screen (~7 feet) (calculator says that is 95") and seating distance about 2.6 meters (little under 9 feet) but I don't think it's too close. I actually regret that I have to settle for so small screen...

Here is calculator that tells THX recommendations:
    Viewing Distance Calculator

12. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    They're my contenders for the planned upgrade at the end of the year.

13. chienmetallique

chienmetallique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I agree, I had just purchased Skyfall and before watching that noticed one on my PTAE3000, so I had to strip it down and using an non aerosol air duster gave it a thorough clean, hey presto, much cleaner image and no dust blob. Really a pat on the back moment.
    Don't be afraid of dust blobs.

14. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    It's ok if you know how to shift them or when the pj is out of warranty you can risk opening it up without voiding the warranty but if still under warranty you would have to call out the manufacturers.

As far as Epson is concerned if called out for a repair their usual method is swap for another pj, one that has been refurbed which is not much good if yours is only a few months old or low hours, how do you know what you are getting as a refurb?

They should put more effort into having an easy way for the owner to do the job themselves like the Sanyo (Z5 I think) of a few years ago which came with a puffer and a place on the pj to direct the puffer into that usually cleared any dustblobs.