Question Best projector and screen on a 2k budget

dogtown

Established Member
Reaction score
as above really please!

Having the garage converted early next year and after measuring up the space is going to be approx 2m 40 wide and 4m 50 in length.

Been looking at screens and the closest I can find to fit that space would be 100inch??

Now the projector! Recommendations please guys. Also, how far would the pj need to be from the screen, is 4.5m enough?

Thanks all :)

My Sony HW40ES sits around 4.5m from the wall. I get a 125" screen (diagonal, so ~2.7m width and 1.55m height) with it zoomed almost half way. But realistically you won't be at 4.5m if your room is that long. You need around 30cm clearance to the rear of the HW40, and the middle point of the projector is another 30cm roughly (to the mount point). Then another 20-30cm to the actual lens.

Probably looking at a maximum throw of around 3.8m, onto a wall, less if you're hitting a screen. Which gives a width of 1.8m - 2.8m depending on zoom. Or, in other terms, a diagonal of 79" - 126".

That's a projector that will fit nicely in your budget, and is pretty well regarded as the best projector for that money.

Of course, it doesn't leave much wiggle room for a screen. You could always paint the wall in BWUK paint instead, unless there is a specific need for a screen. And if there is, you'd ideally want an acoustically transparent screen to maximise it's size letting you mount your speakers behind it. Of course, that costs £££, and eats into your projector budget. Meaning you might have to consider a cheaper model, such as the Epson TW6600, which should be somewhere around £1000.

Ahh thanks for that! I think the total width after insulating ect will leave about 235. Now from what I've read about 100inch electric screens, the total width of the motors etc (top part) is fairly equal to that.

It needs to project onto a screen and there will be my 58inch 4k panny hung on the wall that I use for PC gaming, the screen will then roll down for films. From what I can calculate before the rooms done, the screen might cover my monitor audio bx5 floorstanders by around 5cm but tho be honest in not too worried about that

I've been looking at the hw40 and 50's. Does anybody know the minimum distance needed to fill a 100inch screen?

Have a look in the classifieds as well, some good value projectors there.

Thanks man just having a good flick through now!

I'm pretty new to the projection game. Does the quality of the screen alter the image greatly?

Also if someone could give my the full drop size on a 100inch screen that would be great!

Hi dogtown,
Your room is nearly the same size as mine (My home cinema (where the car used to live)) and I use the Epson 7200. I've given lots of feedback on this projector in my build thread but, in short, it's a great unit. Mine is just over 4.5m from the screen (Sapphire 92" motorised screen) and performs brilliantly at 92". The projector and screen would probably be around £2100 but I can certainly vouch for both.
If memory serves me correctly, the Sony does not have a 12v trigger output so you'll have to drop the screen by remote or another device. The Epson does have the trigger out which I prefer. PJ on, screen down. PJ off, screen up. Simples. :)

Last edited:
Many thanks CableGuy and what an Awsome job you've made of that room!

Looks like the Epson has come down in price a bit since too. Found one for £1200. Pleanty of time to look yet tho as our conversion starts early next year. :)

Thanks dogtown.
Wow, if you've found a new UK model for that price, that's a steal!! Most places range between £1500 to £1700 :)

Temping to get it now ha! What's the drop in cm on your screen? I'm praying I'll just have enough room without it resting on top of my floorstanders!

Floor standers 95cm tall.
Screen drop from casing, 131cm. As you might have seen in my build thread, the projector housing is actually quite low compared with the ceiling height, due to the sloped ceiling.

I've just taken the below photo to show the drop in a lit environment.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1450002674.337472.jpg

I've just noticed there is some visible banding in this photo. This isn't that noticeable to the eye and certainly not noticeable during a movie with the correct lighting.

Ahh that's cracking mate. Mine will be very similar but no window and my 58inch 4K panny hung on the wall. Pj screen will then roll down infront of it. Here's my set up now to give you and idea.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    839.1 KB · Views: 34
I can't quite work out what this picture is. Is it your AV cupboard?
The image displays like this for me;
ImageUploadedByAVForums1450004290.592606.jpg

Lol, that's more like it. :)
Looks good. It'll be nice to get your Center channel in line with the towers then when you change your setup, I guess. What speakers are they?
Good movie choice by the way. :)

Haha yes it will be, it had to go there as this to is quite heavy I didn't want to risk hanging it on plasterboard!

Speakers are Monitor audio bx5s and a BK Gemini 2 sub. I have a BK Monolith sub down stairs that I might be putting in there. All driven off an Onkyo 535. I'm gaming in 4K from my PC so that's the reason the tv has to stay and then pj for films. I'm in one of the spare rooms at the mo so looking forward to a bit more room!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom