Best progressive input shootout still on?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any news on whether there are still plans for an A-B comparison of

DVD S-video -> ProV -> AE100, vs
DVD progressive NTSC&PAL -> AE100

Perhaps we could keep this thread for that topic?( others have got waylaid in the past).

There's no comparison, progressive player blow's away ProV/svideo.
Shimmering and Jaggies with ProV, rock solid with progressive player.
(progressive NTSC tested only with Player.) Still waiting for Toshiba to release pal pro upgrade. :(
I only use proV for Sky and VCR playback.

I find it hard to beleive that the PS DVD blows away a proV, my HTPC is better than than the proV with DVD but hardly blows it away, and my results with a pinnacle rave and dscaler have been nowhere near the quality of the proV for Sky+.

Technophobe has agreed to bring round his Phillips 962 (I think) so that we can do a head to head with both my proV and HTPC but he is away on business. We will be doing it as soon as he has time on his return.

John

Try testing the ProV with Star Trek Insurrection intro, it really slip's up with this. Lots of Jaggie's and shimmering.

I also get flash's of streaks on any fast moving object, doe's anyone else get this?

I dont have Star Trek so I cannot try that clip and I see no noticable jaggies on any films when I've looked for them, even on my 8ft screen which brings out the worst in most things. The difference between the HTPC and proV-DVD is mainly that the proV setup loses out slightly on edge detail ( its just a liitle softer) and if you look really hard the HTPC is perhaps marginally better focused (probably the shimmering you mention) but hardly blow it away different.

My opinion before I compare the PS DVD is that on the ae100 with its 480 line res and NTSC the difference between the HTPC will be vertually indistinguishable and mainly due to marginal differences in the setup (brigtness/contrast/gamma etc) more than a difference in ouput quality, so I agree it will be better than the proV, but not much.

I'm looking forward to the chance to compare though and also to get Technophobes opinion on my setup because the longer you watch the same thing you become acustomed to either what you like or dislike about it and if comparing stuff....notice the bad, but if watching a film...get on with enjoying it.

Technophobe (Kevin ?)

I can do one or the other but wont know which until mid-morning tomorrow (Fri) because of work commitments if that is not too late to sort out which.

If you PM your mobile I can ring you in the morning and discuss which.

Regards

Originally posted by Timh
There's no comparison, progressive player blow's away ProV/svideo.
Shimmering and Jaggies with ProV, rock solid with progressive player.
(progressive NTSC tested only with Player.) Still waiting for Toshiba to release pal pro upgrade. :(
I only use proV for Sky and VCR playback.

Hi Tim,

I have the Philips Q50 (Progressive Scan Pal Enabled) and it's Awesome. You really do notice the difference on Star Trek Insurrection (I purchased the DVD just for testing :D ) S-Video is good but it doesn't come close.

I will be comparing it to HTPC on the AE100 soon and I will post the results.

Best Regards
Amelia

Amelia

If only I could also have pal progressive :( still waiting on Toshiba to release a firmware update.

HTPC is obviously better if you don't mind the hassle of using a PC.

Hi Tim,

Don't know if you remember, you both you and MartinCo first recommended going down the path of Progressive Scan. Two area's of picture quality improvement I didn't expect were: MUCH better contrast in dark scenes and Screen Door much less apparent.

Regards
Amelia

Amelia

MUCH better contrast in dark scenes and Screen Door much less apparent.
Yes, I would have to agree with you on that one. It's a pitty dvd players can not be altered via software to allow you to match the output of the player to the Projector, like you can with Powerstrip on a HTPC.

Are you getting 576p in the projector menu when playing progressive pal disc's?

Originally posted by Timh
Are you getting 576p in the projector menu when playing progressive pal disc's?

Hi Tim,

The projector detects the input as 625P and the image quality is really amazing. I find it surprising that shops here don't run these projectors with a Progress Scan DVD Player.

Most people that have seen my AE100 in action are really amazed at the sharpness of the image, colours, etc and I personally put it all down to the Q50, worth every cent I spent on it.

Best Regards
Amelia

The projector detects the input as 625P
Oooppppssss, thats what I ment :eek:

Hi Richard, no, no luck last weekend.

Kevin, how about tomorrow or Friday this week?

sigh

away for a week or so (damn busy at work),

Id really like to see a reference HTPC setup and a Prog scan DVD player - ideally through same PJ and on same screen in same room etc.

I really want to know what to spend my money on next - when there is some available at least!!! Still running straight interlaced component from my old sony at the mo...

Anyone near Surrey/Berkshire fancy extending some hospitality to a fellow "enthusiast" ;)

Tim

Technophobe,

Cool so Friday it is then, thought I'd read that you had a hush box for your Sharp hence the "greif" comment.

Snelly,

If you like to join us your welcome.

Kevin,

Your PM is full, Its an Owl Othello electric from Gordon, Gain is 1.2 and white.

Might be worth the hastle of moving the Sharp to try it;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom