Best prices for R1 LOTR 5 disc set

t-force

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what the best price for the Collector's edition of LOTR (R1, 5 disc) is? I'd prefer to use a UK based site (Play etc.), but I've noticed that their prices recently aren't as competitive as they used to be. Movietyme seem to be very expensive. Any thoughts?

Movietyme can be a few pounds more expensive because you can specify a US version disc in some cases, as appose to a Canadian disc !

Cheers
Kev

I am wondering whether this particular release is going to be difficult to get past customs? Especially the 5disc with the bookends, I mean it's not exactly going to be a small package is it! :(

I'm more confused than ever now.

On www.101cd.com they have the LOTR Gift Set for £34.99 and list some extras as the trading cards and national geographic documentary.
Yet they say its region 2, which i thought didnt get the national geographic documentary or trading cards.

Its £15 cheaper than other LOTR Gift Sets (R1) so does anyone know whats going on or has 101cd messed up?

the extras are described here.

http://www.101cd.com/offers/newprm.asp?id=8

product info is here.

http://www.101cd.com/video/info.asp?id=6100673

I think they have got it wrong JHUK. The region two version, as I understand it, does not have the fifth disc. Why don't you send them an email and ask them?

I am starting to think that the five disc limited edition is not worth the money anyway, I am a real LOTR fan, but over twice the price for a couple of bookends and a documentary doesnt seem worth it. I may just go for the standard 4-disc.

Yeah agree with Lex, don't see it worth the money for full version. But the main reason is getting the 5 disc through customs, i'll just grab the 4 discer.

Hi Guys

I have just ordered the LOTR extended from CD-Wow (normal 4 disc set) for £21.99 (region 1)

I too am a gig LOTR fan but and extra £20 doesnt seem worth it.

I will also go for the 4-disc set, but i want the US version not Canadian. The only way i can see of getting this relatively cheaply, is with Movietyme, where you can ask for the US version.

Cheers
Kev

Hi Mozzer

What is the difference between US and Canadian?

Is it just the subtitles?
Is there a french audio track instead of something else?

Cheers

Hi Ringer,

Some Canadian discs are now coming through with French titles on the cover with the English one ( Pulp Fiction CE for one ). Plus all the credits on the back, 1 set in English and 1 set in French.

Ive also been told of 1 recent title (can,t remember which now) which when played, defaults to French language, then you have to manually switch to English language.

I dont mind paying a few pounds more for a gauranteed US version, then again, you could get lucky!! Or you could wait to see what other people get and then order.

Cheers
Kev

I purchased a spare 5 disc set from dvdsoon for £30.50 inc shipping, so am well chuffed..

Hmm

Thanks for the info Mozzer

Im not sure I would want french titles etc.

Will the credits at the end be in French? - That would be annoying?

Thanks

I've just looked again at CD-WOW for LOTR 4-disc set.
If you look at the features section, it says at the end, US version.
Not too sure what this refers to though !

Kev

Thanks again Kev

I might give them a call to see if they can confirm -

I'll let you know when I find out

Hi Kev

just spoken to customer services - (they are very helpful)

The disc is infact Canadian (US / Canadian).
The Audio is by default English (with a french audio track)
The menu's etc are by default English.
The credits etc are English.

The packaging is in English but also contains some french.

I don't think i mind that too much.
They couldn't specify how much french was on the titles -
I guess its a question of how much it bothers you.
I just wanted the region 1 so it would play at the right speed (over the course of 3.5 hours you loose 8 mins on the PAL version!)

Hope this helps

Fergus

Thanks Fergus,

I have contacted a lot of DVD suppliers and, they all confirmed that they supply Canadian discs. I was curious to see what
CD-WOW said to you.
I guess i'll go back to Movietyme ! :D

Cheers
Kev

Let me guess...the other three discs contain adverts for the 10-disc set, that will be coming out in February 2003, for 200 quid?;)

The extended movie is actually on discs 1 and 2, discs 3 and 4 contain all the extra material !! :rolleyes:

Where have you been man!:cool:

Kev

Does anyone know if play are shipping the US region version

Cheers

No play only supply canadian R1 disks.

Hi Kev

I have been considering cancelling my order from CD Wow because I didnt realise that it shipped from abroad and I wanted the discs on the day it comes out. In my experience Play have always shipped to me either early or on the day itself.

Also, I dont want to get a customs bill if it gives the details on the package.

Cheers

I recently ordered The Brotherhood of the Wolf 3 disk set £21.99 from CD-WOW. I did not get caught for customs charges, even if you do it only stays at the post office untill you pay for it. Chances are you will have it before it's release date if you leave your order with them anyway. With the original release some people had the R1 disk up to two weeks in advance.

The choice is yours really it all comes down to price.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom