1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best price on Toshiba 50wt29

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jumbopants, Oct 4, 2003.

1. jumbopants

jumbopants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. jumbopants

jumbopants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for the reply, but the new model does not have dvb built in Or DSP, I know I could buy a seperate dsp with speakers but I prefer the tv to have it built in (less mess + remotes), I think the sound is good enough from the built in dsp on the 50wt29 not to warrant buying more kit, Is the new model that much of an improvement in picture quality ?? If the new set had dvb and digital surround built in then yes I would get the new model for sure/ would be a simple chioce but I can't understand why Toshiba have left these off the new model ?? It seems like a backward step to me ! Yes it has progressive scanning but they have left the most important thing for me (the dsp) off the new set just in order to get it out at a more affordable price...

Do you think they will bring a set out with all 3 ?? DSP/DVB and Progressive scan ??

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the new models lack DVB & Dolby Digital sound... I guess Toshiba are releasing products as "monitors" as most people aren't bothered with built-in sound, and most have external boxes (which I prefer)- a bad firmware flash on DVB could screw the TV set up.

At least if a Netgem kills itself on the flash you just return this small item. Try and do that for a 57" RP!!

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    In a
    Simple.. the onboard dolby digital is poor... plain and simple.. I had the 50wh18B, which has the same audio as the 50wt29 (I know because my sister had the 50wt29!!)... and it was poor, just comparing it to a £200 all in one DVD/5.1 system was like night and day TBH..

Some points to mull over..
    1. Their is no real centre speaker, unless you use the 'extension' front speaker provision, which then increases the number of wires, and 'mess'..
    2. The onboard speakers/sub are terrible... they sound OK to start with, but are just very very cheap speakers.. and suffer from all the problems of an £10 speaker..
    3. The set only supports Dolby Digital, it does not support DTS (which arguably is a better format, and is found on more and more DVD's these days)
    4. The set does not support dolby prologic II, which most external all-in-one systems now offer..
    5. 90% of people always upgrade the audio first.. it sort of wet's your appetite, but 1 listen to a proper system has them reaching for the wallets...

Of course the new set is all about improving the picture quality which it has done (compared to a 50wh18b/50wt29).... and added progressive scan etc...

As far as Dolby Digital goes, it seems they have just put the 42wt29 into a new cabinet and called it the 42wh38..(I assume the 50 will follow) but it has none of the active vision or progressive features the wh36 series has..

The 50wt29 is not a bad set at all, Toshiba don't make bad RPTV's. Its more important to get what makes you happy, not us.. we can point out things to consider, but at the end of the day, its your decision... choose wisely!!!

6. jumbopants

jumbopants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Some good points Demon, You have got me in two minds now, the only thing is if I go for the new set I would have to get a surround sound package, and I know my girlfriend would go crazy with all the extra speakers/wires etc, But over a period of time I could introduce a speaker a month so she won't notice....!!Lol. It's taken me long enough to persuade her to let me have a 50" she wants me to have the 42" !! We have just bought a new built house and she is spending all here time getting it to look nice, and she see's me as Satan who is trying his hardest to make it look like Dixons, Only need a Dixons sign now for the outside..Lol

Will mull it over before I make the final decision, does any one Know of the cheapest site for the 51" Toshiba..???