Best price on PW6?

cwick said:
You're assuming that we all want the Sky HD service .... I know you're wrong on at least one count.

No, a question was asked about HD compatability, and the answer of how it relates to HD services we will get in this country was given.

I don't see any assumption that everyone wants the Sky HD service - you choose whether the information is relevant to you or not. Doesn't mean that the information shouldn't be posted.

And even if Sky's service isn't relevant to you, there is a secondary point that might be - the second hand market for these displays may not be as strong as it would be if they had compatability with HD broadcasts. But again, it's up to you whether that matters to you or not.

betamac said:
It WIll be ALONG time before you see lots of HD broadcasts from sky you will only get the odd channel to start with, so i personly dont really care i would much rather pay less now and watch BluRay/HD movies on this display (downscaled) and upgrade when HD Sky really takes off

There is a very small shortlist of current upscaling DVD players that output high resolution images via analogue outputs. The majority that exist only output high resolution via DVI / HDMI - and that is always protected with HDCP.

So, BluRay / HD-DVD - how many devices do you expect to see that allow unprotected high resolution output (either digital or analogue)? The studios just aren't going to go for it.

OK, if you are going the PW6/7 route, then it doesn't particularly matter if the player is downscaling the output to 480p or 576p - although the general consensus is that it performs better when fed with 720p. Not so good for PHD7 owners though.

gizlaroc said:
Lizzard, you will not be able to watch sky-hd via direct digital, you will be able to watch it using a transcoder, there are guys in the states that do not have digital inputs on their display devices and are watching HDCP encrypted services with the use of transcoders.

I think that everyone is panicking at the moment regarding HD encryption, by the time it arrives I bet you £100 it will not be a problem!

Those devices in the states are theoretically illegal under the DMCA - as a device that exists to remove copy protection. Don't be surprised if the movie studios try to go after the manufacturers of such devices. And somebody still has to produce one that works at 50hz ;-)

You may be right about the existence of such devices, but we don't know the cost. Given current US prices, we could easily be looking at £200+.

If you are making a purchase with one eye on the future, there is no absolute certainty... but most people can't make a £2K+ purchase on the basis that a device might exist to remove a known compatability problem.

Lizzard said:
My opinion is that £1,500 is a LOT of money to spend on a screen which have no future.
Lizzard stop talking out of your rear hole PW6 is SD and does have HDCP DVi board.... FACT
lumagen and i think Iscan saler will transform 50hz to 60hz so it will work and I for one really cant give a toss about what Sky want to over charge for in 3 years............................
PW6 is terrific plasma and will give many hours happy use add a scaler in 2-3 years if you really want HiDef........ but then add a scaler now and see a big PQ improve ment on all sources...... SD or HD panel

Lizzard said:
You can't watch Blue-Ray or HD-DVD on the PW6 or PW7, how are you going to watch it when the HDCP license says to close the analogue ports and only output on the digital ports?
BEhave and how many of these players have you seen in the shops or discs??? you are living 4-5 years ahead of the rest of the world....... and just cuase you can get Hidef doesnt mean people want to pay for it........

Have you seen the difference in fuel and maintenance bills for a skoda and porsche........... i could buy a porsche but i could afford to drive it.......

hornydragon said:
Lizzard stop talking out of your rear hole PW6 is SD and does have HDCP DVi board.... FACT
lumagen and i think Iscan saler will transform 50hz to 60hz so it will work and I for one really cant give a toss about what Sky want to over charge for in 3 years............................

Ah yes... a £1000 scaler to make high definition products work with a standard definition screen that cost nearly £2K (I don't buy into the £1.5K stuff - the really cheap PW6 deals are hard to come by, and as for the PW7 - or the PW6 a couple of months ago - a *usable* setup would cost near £2K). At those prices, you just buy a Pioneer now, or a new screen in a couple of years when the time comes.

I can understand why someone might choose to buy an expensive scaler now, but to do so in a couple of years just as a solution to HD compatability is ridiculous.

And as for this "Sky want to over charge for in 3 years" - pricing is pure speculation, and there isn't much we can say either way about that. But the timescale is pure fantasy. According to all the information we have, the service will be with us *INSIDE 2 YEARS*. If you have doubts about the content, if you think it's not going to be a worthwhile service at launch, then that's your opinion, you are entitled to it, and to say it. But stop saying things that are contrary to all the *genuine* information that we have.

hornydragon said:
BEhave and how many of these players have you seen in the shops or discs??? you are living 4-5 years ahead of the rest of the world....... and just cuase you can get Hidef doesnt mean people want to pay for it........

HD-DVD is due out in the US next year. Good timing to bring a UK launch in 2006 to go alongside the push to HDTV broadcasting. Although the current compatability issues could threaten to delay that - thanks plasma manufacturers!!

Initial players (in the US) look to be around the £600 mark - my brand new DVD player costs that!! Are you saying that people are prepared to pay £1000 for a scaler, £600 'extra' for a display of the same 'paper specs', £600+ for a DVD player, but AREN'T prepared to pay £600 for a HD player?

grahamtriggs said:
And as for this "Sky want to over charge for in 3 years" - pricing is pure speculation, and there isn't much we can say either way about that. But the timescale is pure fantasy. According to all the information we have, the service will be with us *INSIDE 2 YEARS*.
HD broadcasts are here NOW......... SKy wont do anything until there is enough demand..... (they went digital because of encryption and bandwidth limitations on analogue.....not to offer anything extra to the subscriner...but thats a different thread... THE fact is a PWD6/7 and scaler =PHD7... a SCALER makes abig improvement FULL stop new formats are all speculation and early adopters will pay a premium... they always do £600 HD DVD player.... I'll wait till i see it and the software prices.... BUT the fact is you can make it all work *if* you want to and in 2 years the £1000 (lumagen is actually £800) scalers will be £500 or less just look at the price of Iscan ultras..... I am not about to start advising people what to do based on speculation of the future (you must have an amazing crystal ball, any tips for the gee gees) and one broadcast system and 2 competing media formats not yet available if you want to be future proofed (an impossibilty) PAY through the nose for it.. OR buy a great product now and sort out the future when it arrives... Tomorrow you be run over by a bus and you cant spend it when your gone

hornydragon said:
(they went digital because of encryption and bandwidth limitations on analogue.....not to offer anything extra to the subscriner...but thats a different thread...

Yes, and the fact that content providers will tie their hands over encryption. Although there is nothing wrong with having digital connections ;-)

But why they did it isn't the question here - they have announced their intentions, and if we want to use it, then we have to have hardware that complies with that.

hornydragon said:
THE fact is a PWD6/7 and scaler =PHD7...

Well, yes, they are about equal in price. Or is it an opinion that you are trying to pass off as fact?

hornydragon said:
a SCALER makes abig improvement FULL stop

It sure does. As I said, there are good reasons why someone might choose to buy one *now* for those benefits. Spending large amounts of money *just* to do a frame rate conversion to make the latest technology compatible with your screen is ridiculous though - and that is what you were advocating (well, pointing out was possible).

hornydragon said:
new formats are all speculation and early adopters will pay a premium... they always do £600 HD DVD player.... I'll wait till i see it and the software prices....

"While Toshiba and NEC wouldn't comment Monday on the likely price of their first products, Hisashi Yamada, chief fellow of technology at Toshiba and also a chairman at the DVD Forum, said at an event in Los Angeles earlier this year that he expects the first players to cost around ¥100,000 (US$910), according to the company. Panasonic's Blu-ray Disc recorder due on sale this week will cost around ¥300,000."

Software prices will depend on how greedy the studios choose to be. There is no fundamental reason why they should be expensive:

"A pilot line at the company's factory in Tsukuba, north of Tokyo, can be switched between DVD and HD-DVD in five minutes and production of a dual-layer 30GB HD-DVD disc takes 3.5 seconds, compared to 3 seconds for a DVD, Ootsuka said. Yields are also above 90 percent."

hornydragon said:
BUT the fact is you can make it all work *if* you want to and in 2 years the £1000 (lumagen is actually £800) scalers will be £500 or less just look at the price of Iscan ultras..... I am not about to start advising people what to do based on speculation of the future (you must have an amazing crystal ball, any tips for the gee gees)

OK, there is a bit of speculation in the content of Sky's HDTV service - but for the US shows and movies, the content *does* exist - it's just a case of whether it will form part of the service.

As for launch dates of Sky's service, arrival of HD-DVD (in the US), projected prices for HD-DVD, project launch dates and prices of new screen technologies - this all comes from statements made by the companies involved, and recognised industry commentators. And your statements of scaler prices, LCD prices, launch dates for new technologies services - where do they come from?

hornydragon said:
if you want to be future proofed (an impossibilty) PAY through the nose for it.. OR buy a great product now and sort out the future when it arrives... Tomorrow you be run over by a bus and you cant spend it when your gone

But I am about as future proofed as you practically can be, I did not pay through the nose for it, and I do have great product now. You may have a different opinion about that last part, but we are *both* entitled to have our own, different, opinions.

I dont want to trun this thread into another bun fight.........BUT there is no reason not to buy a PW6 there might be arguments that make alternatives attractive (they always have been) but that doesnt mean a PW6 is a BAD purchase.
My comments come from experience of the industry.. If it launches in the US for $99 it will be £99 in the UK (why cause they can) we dont live in the most profitable market for manufactured goods in the world for nothing............. HD content has been around since the Korea/JApan world cup and available (legally in the UK since HD1 (1080TV) launched doesnt mean its worth £600 to watch HD1 tho................ while both sets of arguments hold true is a budget plasma buyer sub £3k budget really going to import HD-DVD decks from japan at launch? and subscribe to SKY HiDEF on day one? the UKs most expensive 42" plasma doesnt even have component inputs........... so is lack of 50HZ 720p and 1080i really a huge deal on a £1500 screen?
I mean REALLY..........

hornydragon said:
so is lack of 50HZ 720p and 1080i really a huge deal on a £1500 screen?
I mean REALLY..........

I think so, it's £1500, that's alot of cash for MANY people to spend on a screen that is already outdated.

As i said earlier, there is a reason Panasonic dumps the screens at these prices, however i think the price is way too high for what you get.

If the screen would had DVI built-in and accepted the 50Hz signals we needed then i would think £1,500 is ok.

For comparison you get a Toshiba 46" HD2+ DLP today with HDMI that have everything you would need for watching Sky HD for an example and it doesn't cost much more than the Panasonic above, actually it's listed at £1544.

hornydragon said:
Lizzard stop talking out of your rear hole PW6 is SD and does have HDCP DVi board....

Yeah right, and you beleive in Santa?

So the ordinary PW6 buyer according to you goes out and buy a £800 scaler and a £150 DVI-card for their PW6 just to convert from 50Hz to 60Hz on a screen that cost today around £1500 JUST because friggin Panasonic can't fix their own **** in their backyard....

It's crazy and not motivated at all....

hornydragon said:

Have you seen the difference in fuel and maintenance bills for a skoda and porsche........... i could buy a porsche but i could afford to drive it.......

I can guarantee you that this will accelerate faster than you think, i beleive strongly that the hot products in late 2006 will be HD-DVD or Blue-Ray DVD players OR even earlier.

When HDTV is up and running and more and more people sees the benefits of the high resolution people will run and buy HDTV screens.

I can take an example that is going to happen, when satellite-TV channels migrated to digital from analogue everyone went digital, just look at what prices old analogue receivers have reached, no one wants to touch these old things anymore.

Analogue to digital satellite did go pretty fast, there are some analogue channels left but they are few....

hornydragon said:
SKy wont do anything until there is enough demand.....

Who cares about Sky, U.K is not the largest market in Europe anyway, Germany is and they are taking the HDTV route very soon, Premiere, the pay-TV provider in that country will broadcast around 30-40 channels in HDTV with start Nov. 2005 as i said earlier.

Even more broadcasters are early out in late 2005 as well.....

Sky will follow pretty fast as brits won't accept not having HDTV when the rest of Europe is heading that way.

2006 we will see the real boom in market.
:thumbsup:

look, I don't really care about HDTV as I'm looking for a SD television in the first place! I'm buying a PWD6 and that's all there is to it. If it's outdated in 3 years I'll buy a new TV if I have to, I buy a new TV every 3-4 years anyway! I just want a deal with speakers/wallmount & compononent board!

Also I know there are 2 types of component inputs. How can I make sure that I get the correct one (the one that looks the same as composite inputs)?

Another quick question: How does that PWD6 attach to the wall-mount? I have a Samsung mount already but I am assuming that the PWD6 will not fit onto this!

Peabo said:
After my Samsung has broken on me for the second time (and the nice lady at Hughes Direct telling me that many people have sent it back for the same reason - big blue/pink vertical line of dead pixels appearing) I am getting a refund of £1553 and going to get a Panasonic. I need the best deal for this set with speakers, a wall mount and the following inputs: Scart RGB, Component, Composite.

Thank you in advance for your help!

C'mon guys take your bun fight and make your own thread and get this back on topic !!!!!

Peabo have you rung the guys at AV-sales yet??

They can do everything you want for a good price and are excellent to deal with before and after the sale.

Not sure about the bracket, was it a universal bracket or a Samsung oem bracket?

And I bought a panasonic PW6, great screen, go for it!

You will be able to add a transcoder if you want to go the Hi-Def rout in the future for the same or less than a DVI board, so I wouldn't worry.

hornydragon said:
BUT there is no reason not to buy a PW6 there might be arguments that make alternatives attractive (they always have been) but that doesnt mean a PW6 is a BAD purchase.

I didn't say that it is a bad purchase. But that doesn't make it the right purchase for everyone.

You have your own views of HD, who would be prepared to spend on HD, whether those people would buy a new set to use HD, etc. That's fine, and if you want to suggest to people that they might want to think about going that route, that's fine as well.

But in case you haven't kept up, people aren't just telling you in theoretical terms that might not apply to everyone - they are telling you that it does not apply to them. And if there are real people on this forum that are of that opinion, there are certainly others not represented here that feel the same way.

hornydragon said:
My comments come from experience of the industry.. If it launches in the US for $99 it will be £99 in the UK (why cause they can) we dont live in the most profitable market for manufactured goods in the world for nothing............. HD content has been around since the Korea/JApan world cup and available (legally in the UK since HD1 (1080TV) launched doesnt mean its worth £600 to watch HD1 tho................ while both sets of arguments hold true is a budget plasma buyer sub £3k budget really going to import HD-DVD decks from japan at launch?

Who said anything about importing HD-DVD from Japan at launch? HD-DVD will be in the states next year - that's a very short time away. No, it doesn't follow that European models will be in the shops within a couple of months, but the major European markets *will* have 'significant' HDTV services by the end of 2006. All of which means that it will be possible to launch HD-DVD in Europe as early as 2006 - and with issues like copy protection, there will be a number of people in the industry keen to see it sooner rather than later.

Who would spend less than £3K on a screen yet £600 on HD-DVD? Well, I bought a region 2 DVD player as soon as they went under £500, to use on a 25" 4:3 50hz CRT. I bought a DVD recorder as soon as they went under £500 (and now do all that stuff on a Mac). I have only just bought a £600 DVD player, yet as you know I have a new screen that costs not only less than £3K, but less than £1.5K.

And I know that HD content is a useful upgrade to my screen, despite it only being low resolution, because I've already seen it. And I would rather be buying HD-DVD when available than DVDs, because it is less to 'live with' or replace later on. So you think I wouldn't spend £600 on a HD-DVD player? You think no other owner of a sub-£3K HD compatible plasma would spend £600 on a HD-DVD player?

One thing that is true about your statement is that the majority of sub-£3K plasma owners won't be buying a £600 HD-DVD player - because it won't work with their screens. You may think that none of them would be interested, but personally I think there is going to be quite a few statements of discontent over the next couple of years - particularly from people who thought that with DVI or HDMI connections they would be OK - that will prove that there was/is some interest.

hornydragon said:
the UKs most expensive 42" plasma doesnt even have component inputs........... so is lack of 50HZ 720p and 1080i really a huge deal on a £1500 screen?
I mean REALLY..........

For you, that may be the case. There is nothing wrong with that. But you are not everyone. How people that can and do spend £3K+ on a screen view the £1.5K market is NOT the same as the expectations of the £1.5K market.

See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172368. An immediate example of someone else with similar concerns. It's one thing to challenge some preconceptions, but there are ways and means of making the argument.

If you don't like any of the limited options then it's fair enough to say that you don't like them, you wouldn't recommend them, but for what someone wants they either have to like them, live with them, or question what of their requirements is really important to them. But where is the justification for being dismissive of someone's requirements, or argue against those requirements with an opinion presented in a way that looks like a fact?

Peabo said:
look, I don't really care about HDTV as I'm looking for a SD television in the first place! I'm buying a PWD6 and that's all there is to it. If it's outdated in 3 years I'll buy a new TV if I have to, I buy a new TV every 3-4 years anyway! I just want a deal with speakers/wallmount & compononent board!

Also I know there are 2 types of component inputs. How can I make sure that I get the correct one (the one that looks the same as composite inputs)?
Peabo component input boards come with RCA (RARE) or BNC connectors all you need is an RCA to BNC cable to connect between a DVD etc and the BNC input board.......
As for wall mount Panny is a standard VESA mount and the samsung is very similar have a measure mate......

Hi

I just got one from low cost plasmas ltd delivered to the door with wall bracket and sony dvd sb100 system and free board for £1640 but im still having hassels getting the right cable

Iain ems

iain ems said:
Hi

I just got one from low cost plasmas ltd delivered to the door with wall bracket and sony dvd sb100 system and free board for £1640 but im still having hassels getting the right cable

Iain ems
£1549 from AV-sales delivered with bracket/stand and board seems a better deal (and they wont screw up the supply of input boards....)
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172493

hornydragon said:
Peabo component input boards come with RCA (RARE) or BNC connectors all you need is an RCA to BNC cable to connect between a DVD etc and the BNC input board.......
As for wall mount Panny is a standard VESA mount and the samsung is very similar have a measure mate......
Do you have the measurements for the Panny? I don't know what standard VESA is, sorry! The Samsung had 4 plastic knobs that you screw onto the back of the set & then slot into 4 corresponding holes on the mount. Would this work on the Panny? Is there anywhere were I can see a shot of the back of the PWD6?

hornydragon said:
If you download panny manual it might have a shot..... google for VESA
Gah...close but it's not going to fit! Time for lots more drilling :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom