Best price on KEF 2005.3 (BLACK)

xmb

Why not look at a better package such as this Monitor Audio Radius package for £600? Even though it is the older model it will sound good after running in.

Even the new Monitor Audio Vector system will give those Kef's a run for their money!

Some like the Audica units and this CS system 2 package is good value at £419.

For me I am a fan of Monitor Audio having had Kef 'Eggs' in the past, and although good are not as good as the Radius of RS speakers. I went through 5 or 6 sub-woofers in the first 3 years!

Not an answer to your price question but may give yo food for thought :)

the monitors look good mate but just worried about the size of them seen the KEFS in person and they look ideal.

They are more that £600 from there

a_g_stevens

Standard Member
sorry to jack the thread, but xmb, you obviously rate those speakers, off the top of your head, what amp would you put them with?

xmb

I do like the monitor audio range and listened to quite a few with my wife and we both agreed we liked the sound of all the Monitor Audio speaker we listen to. My brother has had large Monitor Audio speakers for years (he has more disposable income than I do!) and has always had good service from them.

I have the Sony 2400ES but I feel you could use a better amp as they really are good speakers. If funds permitted I would have maybe gone for the Yamaha RX-V1900 or maybe the Denon AVR2309. As always some compromise needs to be made on price but I have always believed that spending more on speakers is a good plan as they have the biggest impact on your sound. Unlike an amplifier they tend not to be overtaken by technological change so quickly so are the base of any future upgrades!

a_g_stevens

Standard Member
interesting, thanks for your input. was looking at the 2400ES anyway, cant really justify more than about £500 on an amp to start with, and the 2400 has the other stuff I wanted, so might be a good starting point. you use yours for music as well as movies? if so, any good?

xmb

Yes is fine with music as well as movies, but lets be honest the thing that really makes movies great is the sound and more specifically the music!

I read a lot of comments on these forums about how the person is only interested in movies and not music reproduction, but watch any film and you will find if the music was removed it would become very dull, even with the bangs and crash effects present!

Now the real audiophiles out there will expect a lot more from their amplifiers and speakers but for the majority of us a decent surround amp will deliver a good sonic solution for the varied mix the average home requires. In other words for the money you, I and most others can afford an amp like the Sony 2400ES and others in that price range sound fine. Clearly if we spend more we get more but that is something we have to dream about of save up for!

As I said spend more on decent speakers with a view to a possible upgrade path and you can't go wrong.

xmb

Are you sticking with the Kef 3005s or going to look at something else?

My rule is if spending £500 on the amp you need to be spending £1,500 on the speaker package (including sub).

a_g_stevens

Standard Member
nah, I'm going with some monitor audio stuff.

start off with that £600 5.1 package you linked to above. few months down the line, step up the sub to an RSW-12 or something similar (although, it is tempting to go for the bigger sub straight away - an extra £400 upfront vs an extra £750 later!). then, another few months, top it off with some nice floor standers, use them as front left/right, and move the others round to end up with the full 7.1. by the time all that's done, I think I'll be in accordance with your rule!

xmb

Sounds good to me!

Remember to allow a lot of time for running in as you may be disappointed if you judge them when new. I have found the Monitor Audio's have become substantially better the longer I have had them so expect a few months before they are on top form. (Don't forget to re-run the speaker set-up on your amp after this time to ensure yo are getting the best out of your system.)

If you can get the ASW12 at £500 now as you will appreciate the musical properties of this sub when combined with the Radius speakers.

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
It may be worth having a search, as there may be a few packs around including an RSW12 at good prices because the non HD series is discontinued.

a_g_stevens

Standard Member
It may be worth having a search, as there may be a few packs around including an RSW12 at good prices because the non HD series is discontinued.

I'll do that, thanks for the tip!

And yes, running in, seems to be a much debated topic! Can't do any harm though, so I think I'll give it a shot.

a_g_stevens

Standard Member
Got a good one-off deal for a package with the RSW12, still amp hunting, why did I have to pick a time when the old stuff is out of stock and the new stuff isn't available? ach well, will get there in the end :D

thanks for your help guys!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom