Best price on a hd freesat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjbell

Standard Member
I'm looking at getting a freesat box. I do not want to pay extra for hard drive version or iplayer and usb media player i already have all this in my tv. I just want a basic box thats got a tidy picture for both SD and HD. Any one got any recommendations? Or any reviews? Whathifi has reviewed a few but only about 6-7.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
There is only 5 available (If you lump the Bush Goodmans and Grundig as one - same guts).

Join Freesat

rjbell

Standard Member
Oh right thats why its not many reviews then! I'm sceptical about buying the bush/goodmans/Grundig are they ok though? there about £70 is it worth pying the extra £30 for the humax?

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Do consider spending the extra for a PVR, it will transform how you watch TV if you don't already own one.

logiciel

The Freesat web site has the Grundig at twice the price of the Bush/Goodmans but they're all supposed to be to the same specification and there aren't any details so I don't know why there's any price difference at all: freesat HD.
Humax is much the most popular name though, so that would probably be the one to go for.

lbear

Novice Member
The Freesat web site has the Grundig at twice the price of the Bush/Goodmans but they're all supposed to be to the same specification and there aren't any details so I don't know why there's any price difference at all: freesat HD.
Humax is much the most popular name though, so that would probably be the one to go for.

The price for the Grundig is no doubt the latest RRP rather than being based on actual prices as Harvard no longer market them. You will remember that the name rights reverted to Arcelik in Turkey who market various Grundig branded consumer goods including laptops.

Harvard have now announced they will start to use "Vision 21" as a brand name. Going on their history, that "make" is probably best avoided too although I am not aware of any boxes yet on the market.

The Grundig name rights in the UK now belong to Manhatten who have released freesat boxes under their own name recently. The HD box looks remarkably similar to the Freeview HD box marketed by Harvard since the case used is the same as the Alba and Tesco Technika STBHDH2010 variants and Manhatten's own. In another forum, the company assured me that although the manufacturer was the same, the circuits and more importantly the firmware is completely different. By the looks of things, the box appears to only have the LED on/off status light and no time/channel display. It depends if, like me, this is offputting to you.

The Humax had/has a known problem with a duff batch of capacitors used in the power supply resulting in the "chasing snake" lockup. This usually shows up within the 2 year Humax warranty period and you would get an exchange however the Richer Sounds guarantee is a definite plus if not a must have.

Last edited:

rjbell

Standard Member
Thank you. I've noticed the manhatten boxes on ebay for cheap. I might test it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Manhatten Grundig under another name?

No Manhattan own the Grundig name now. Grundig satellite has not existed as a manufacturer for many years since they were purchased by Thomson. They exist only as a name badge

Mark uk

Novice Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom