1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best price for Tosh 52WM48P and warranty ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ManGina, Jan 14, 2005.

1. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Is this the best price for the 52WM48P and 5 year warranty (hey if lamps go for £300 aprox isn't 5 years better than 3?)
    www.gultronics.co.uk £1,930 inc vat delivered
    www.warrantyex.co.uk £281.16 for 5 years (underwritten by Domestic and General - lamps are included)

£2,211.16 Total - Can this price be beaten? :zonked:

2. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you find this TV on their site - I couldnt find it....?

24/7 Electrical do a 3 year warranty for £230 with the TV, not as cheap as your findings.... if they exist! :cool:

3. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are we now all convinced that this is THE TV to buy?

Would there be any improvement from the 46, aside from the screen size?
    Would the increased screen size affect PQ, make it better or worse?

4. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant see how increasing the screen size would make the PQ better, you are stretching the same feed, if anything it will be worse. I think its the tv to have if you ahve a pretty big living room. For me its just too big, it would dominate the room and make it look ridiculous

5. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.buyyourav.com are doing the TV at £1799.99 + delivery. I am sure they would also sell extended warranties.

Brock.

6. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brock, that looks like a fantastic price! This is starting to get very tempting indeed :)

7. slidebed

slidebed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yep i agree a good price just have a look at their terms and condions seems a bit strict for my liking or maybe im just paranoid?cant return if box opened!they charge your card if you call them out and THEY decide theirs no fault im not so sure i might pay the 50 quid and buy from sound and vision im sure they will price match as their nor far apart!

any comments
    :cool:

8. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only seen the 46" as a picture, and I absolutely LOATHE those horrible wings on the side! I couldn't care less how good the picture is, the style of the cabinet has forced me to scrub this one off my list of sets to check out - I simply couldn't live with it. I guess the 52" will be more of the same, just bigger again!

9. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an advise to would-be 52WM owner, as what schnipps suggested, make sure you have a really big room, otherwise the TV would just dominate. Also consider the recommended and optimum viewing distance from such a monstrous telly...

cheers...

10. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digitize is right people, my viewing distance is a few feet more than the optimum for a 50" TV and it matters. Sit too close and the pic will be worse than your mums 14" Bush TV/Video Combi!

The blurring problem will also be eliminated the further away you sit. Sitting at the optimum distance for a RP TV, the viewing angle of the screen increases (ie the further away you move) thus sitting on a normal sofa you will be within the right range to view the tv correctly. Sit too close and you fall out of that range = cack picture. I think the moral of the story is dont just buy a big tv for the sake of it as you will suffer at the hand of PQ, instead measure your living rooms and buy a screen that will be optimum for your rooms.

Also - www.buyyourav.com are not so cheap as the delivery is £150 - so works out as £1950, same price as everyone else. :rtfm:

11. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    g_unit, can you enlighten us then on how to get/measure/calculate the optimum viewing distance? Is this different for different type of TVs, i.e. plasma, lcd, crt, etc?

I'm sure your response will help many...

12. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure, use the HDTV table on the site below to work out how far you need to sit. As for vertical angles, generally as long as you are not at any extreme such as laying on the floor or hanging from the chandelier you will be ok that these distances. The shorter your distance from these values, the closer your eye level will have to be to 0 verticle/horizontal (middle of the screen where the display is best). Any further away and you will not notice any improvement in PQ but again view angles will increase.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/tv_faq.html#2

I used this to decide what size TV I could buy. When I got the 50" Sony, sitting on the sofa the pic was great. Sitting any closer etc did degrade the pic, so I'm convinced viewing distance is very important and does make a difference.

Hope this helps.

13. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and the distances are almost the same for most big TV's, but they are most important for RP's to get a good pic. LCD's and Plasma's are a little more forgiving.

14. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,108
    It doesn't matter what they put in their T&Cs, your statutory rights still stand.

If it's faulty, you're entitled to replacement, refund or repair.

If you want to send it back for any reason in the first seven days, the distance selling regulations give you the right. I must admit I don't know how your rights stack up with their interpretation that you can only return the items unopened. I think that is against the interpretation of the regulations I would make that only "reasonable care" must be taken off the goods.

I would agree that their T&Cs seem harshly worded. Personally I wouldn't use a supplier that had such aggressive policies on dealing with their customers.

15. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mangina- Where does it tell you lamps are included in the warranty?

16. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Sorry to those of you who have requested a copy of the email from Domestic and General - I have been snowboarding this last week and have just got back. I will forward it on asap.
    The policy above is backed by D and G and since they have confirmed that lamps are covered - thats good enough for me as its them I'll be dealing with in that eventuality presumably (although I haven't confirmed that with warrantyex yet)
    Interesting to see about that £150 delivery charge. The Mrs tells me that Gultronics called when I was away to say that the original quote for delivery (£30 I think) was wrong and it should have been £70. I will have to see where I stand on that one - if they have billed my cc for the original quote already etc then thats their mistake I think? Will let you know the outcome.

17. Capt Morgan

Capt Morgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ManGina,

Just got back from Whistler myself, the condishions were well harsh.
    The last week was almost all rain, washed most of the snow off the mountain - gotter feel sorry for the folks heading out there now. there predicting another 14 days of rain........

Anyhow the poor condishions allowed me to hit Vancouver and check out the RP-DLP's in Future Shop, I saw the ~60" versions of the Tosh along side the 52 whish we were getting these over here.......

Have you been given any idea of the eta on your set?

18. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I think someone at gultronics is playing the old sales trick equivalent of the cheques in the post... According to them, they will be arriving in the country "next week".... Someone here has posted that their nephew is working on the Tosh production line ( although I must admit I made the assumption that both nephew and production line were in the UK), so I think I know as much if not more than them on the matter... I dont really mind that much as it gives me some time to decorate. I'm getting used to being shafted too as I'm still waiting on a bed I ordered over the net, which was going to be with me the week before xmas... :thumbsdow

On the snow front I went to sauze in italy, and it wasn't too bad after i had mentally prepared for the worst. It still snowed heavily on the day we were leaving though... :mad:

Philangst - I spoke to Dom and Gen personally when I was pricing out warranties. They are a bit too expensive direct, but they provide cover for 3rd parties such as warrantyex and since they have verbally and confirmed in writing, that their policy covers lamps/bulbs (since it is inside the workings of the tv and not accessable like an oven or fridge lamp - which they exclude); I cant see their being a problem as any terms will apply not to warrantyex but to DomGen who are actually supplying the cover.... :smashin:

19. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The first batch of 52" models have been made..

They are made in Plymouth (UK!), but will be 'shipped' as such to the main Toshiba Sales company (Reading, I think??), who then sell to the distributers...

It normally takes 2 weeks or just over to get these logistically to the end point, so I reckon sometime this week, or early next week might be a good time..

20. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like BuyyourAV has reduced the price of delivery. It's now £69.99.

£70 cheaper than Gultronics.....

21. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Make that £100 cheaper than Gultronics, who refused to budge after misquoting me £30 and not £70 for delivery. So, gutted, I have cancelled with Gultronics :suicide: who tell me that they were expecting it in tomorrow (hmmm - I don't believe half of what I hear from the mouths of salesmen these days).

On the plus side buyyourav tell me that their £1,869.98 price (what was it I said about salesmen?) includes a 2 man delivery and installation direct from toshiba uk, and not some delivery firm. So I have ordered from them - saved myself £100 - and hopefully wont have to wait too long as it seems most companys are only getting stock from Tosh to satisfy orders, and not to have in store/stockroom. :thumbsup: Also eases my fears over harsh wording of terms and conditions( I have asked for email confirmation and expect to have to send a few myself to tie them down... :D

Probably too much to ask that the installers will be experienced experts in the field and can sort out any blurring issues before they start :laugh:

Still planning on warrantyex deal once it comes which now makes whole package £2151.14 installed with 5 year warranty ( lamps included) :smashin:

22. Brynteg

Brynteg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the point of having the telly delivered direct from Toshiba, they delivered my 57" a few years back with a two man team.

The surround speakers were in a seperate box on top of the boxed telly, they fell off as the guys pulled the set out of the back of the van, breaking them both. The telly then fell off the van as it was too heavy for the pair of guys to lift it. They then refused to lift it up three steps unless I got more guys around to help (even though Toshiba had been told there was three steps into the house).

Next they insisted on unboxing it outside, we then lived on a main road and it was pitch black. They dragged it along the pavement, forcing one castor to fall off. Then when it was finally in the house they decided that was enough and just went!

We were stuck with a bloody huge telly in the middle of the hall, which we couldn't pass unless we pushed it from one end of the hall to the other. Once I eventually set up the telly, I found the remote didn't work and the picture was bloody terrible.

But in fairness, one phone call to Toshiba and they replaced the telly, speakers, remote and refunded my 70 quid delivery.

So don't always assume that just because the manufacturer is delivering that you'll get the best service! :smashin:

Best of luck anyway. :)

23. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Fair point Brynteg - at least you can smile about it now :laugh:
    I hope I dont get the same two! :eek:
    On reflection the installation might just be assembling the stand and switching it on - or they might have the ham fisted buffoon con down to a fine art... reminds me of the time I was doing some washing up at home... ;)