1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best price for Samsung SP46L6HX

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Strideristhebes, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After stumbling on one of these beauties on our bottom floor, I've decided this is the TV I have to get. Does anyone know of a good place to buy it though as most prices seem to be around the £1,500 quid mark.

robertsons apparently have it in stock, but I understand that their service isn't that great. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Zola_Blue

Zola_Blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pixmania £1135 - was in stock yesterday - but I'm doubtful about their reliability

Comets £1399 if ordered online.

3. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never heard of them myself, may go for that comet price...

4. metalgear873

metalgear873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    damn i want one of those, its only 1200quid in holland. Need to save a little more, i'm only a poor student =P

oh btw, lets say i'd get one, i've been reading on these forums that you need quality cables when it comes to DLP projection? How much cash should i save for cables?

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    If your DVD has component outputs, check out the Cable Power Buys thread on these very forums. Mark on there is selling a Belden compnent lead at £50, that is the finest I have ever used.

Some of the techies claim that it is the finest, full stop. Beats anything else I've compared it too, even at twice the price.

It's probably a lot for a student (but hey - you're a student splashing out £££ on a 46" telly!) but don't compromise the potential of the TV by skimping on components and cables.

6. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The general rule of thumb is about 10% of the total cost of your equipment, so if you equipment cost a total of £1500.00, you should be prepared to spend around £150.00 cabling your system :thumbsup:

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Trust me - try the Belden. Read the reviews of it from the users on the thread. Forget the 10% rule of thumb. No need to go over £50 (unless you want more than a metre).

8. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Welcome to the club - but please tell us you didn't order it from Dixons! :eek:

10. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can vouch for Mark Grant's cable (oh er missus :eek: ). I have a digital coax and analogue audio cables. The construction and value is excellent. I will be ordering my component cable(s) from Mark once I have decided which display to buy! :confused:

11. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the cheapest i could find mate. Will be here next week :clap:

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    You could search the forums for the horror stories about the DSG group (particularly Dixons, Currys and PC World) and their before and -more particularly- "aftercare".

Or just click here for the full monty! :smashin:

I think you'll find that John Lewis will match that price and give you a free 5 year parts and labour warranty into the bargain. Also their after sales care is superb.

13. Mal x

Mal x
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bad service with all companies is par for the course mate. I've ordered quite a few odds and sods from Dixons in the pass and never had problems (touching lots of wood) so I'll wait and see.

Plus it was nearly 600 pounds cheaper than in Comet, so that clinched the deal.

15. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Not true - many companies give superb customer service, others however are notorious for their name coming up over and over again in relation to appalling customer service.

The stores of the DSG group are legendary in the latter category.

I've just edited my last post to include a bit about John Lewis - check that out. They will match Dixon's price and throw in the aforementioned freebie as well. And they are top of the league with after sales care.

17. Mal x

Mal x
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You know, I feel a little guilty walking in to a high street retailer, demoing their £1500 DLP liking it then buying it online for £300 less. One thing I do like about high street retailers is that you can see them face to face if things go wrong. Not sure if it always moves things along faster but at least you're not talking to some gormless berk at the end of a telephone line (instead it might be some gormless berk standing in front of you). But at least you can see them eye-to-eye. Is that worth paying the extra price?

19. Mal x

Mal x
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, go and see it in Currys etc and if you like it, then go and buy it online cheaper somewhere else :rotfl: :rotfl:

after all, it could break down in currys just as easy as somewhere else and the service you receive could be equally poor!

the problem is, finding somwhere to trust online...it's a risk you take! :eek: :eek: :eek:

but the sammy 50 is supposed to be damned good and it looks good too, plus cheap as well...so i dont think you'll get it wrong. :smashin:

i can almost afford it now, but my heart is set on next spring; just in case something else comes along... :smashin:

20. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    My Curry's doesn't have ANY DLP/Plasma tv's...well, none that are any good anyway! :laugh:
    No I'm looking in my independant store. Like I said more expensive (the 50" Samsung DLP is WAY overpriced at £2250) but I have bought from them before and whilst not exceptional are at least helpful and accomodating.
    IF I could find someone else in the High street selling it cheaper I know they'll match it....gotta keep looking then!

21. Mal x

Mal x
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i must be lucky because our Currys is bang up to date, loads of new stuff there...i think currys varies countrywide, depending on whose the manager!

mind you, the rf feeds/dvd are all crap :)

but i know what you mean, it's nice to trust a few retailers only... i always use B&Q and Currys for everything...i never go anywhere else, but their DLP's are a bit expensive

i'm a baragain hunter, i'd much rather stroll around Currys than go to a football match etc...but i fear, i might have to purchase a DLP online; just to save 600 quid

aaah...now hang around! Curry's aren't that expensive (just taken a quick look)....the sp50 (pedestal) is 1824 quid and the sp 46 looks ok too...so you're talking about 150 quid too much, that might be ok for peace of mind :smashin: ...loads of time yet though

22. Starfleet

Starfleet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Strideristhebes

Got my SP46 from Robertsons online no major problems ( only issue was when I ordered TV not in stock so had to wait 3 weeks) so far except the rainbow effect which I am starting to get used to. PQ is very good I love my new toy

23. Mal x

Mal x
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes Robertsons would be a good outfit to go for and cheap too...but i'll keep an eye of Froogle plus Currys too.

and waiting 3 weeks is nothing compared to waiting a whole year :D :D

i'll use this 3 weeks to build by own tv stand, i dont like the Sammy one

24. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Well I decided to go with my local shop (for local people, obviously) as they have put themselves out for me and answered all my questions, something you don't always get from online stores.
    However my SP46L6HX will take around 2 weeks to come as they had to order. This is no big deal as I've not seen it ANYWHERE else. They will set it up too though I'd rather do that.
    In the meantime I'm converting the top half of my 30' living room into a dedicated tv/dvd/game room. This means blocking off a door as well as a few other little touches to make the room very nice indeed!
    And to add to that the missus has decided to get a brand new leather sofa to watch it the new TV from! So I'll have a few pics up when it all arrives! :thumbsup:

25. Mal x

Mal x
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes my room is designed for DLP too, plus a new sofa/carpet as well...the DLP'S stand has to be wooden or secondly glass/silver....but the colour black/dark grey will clash..

it sounds like you've got it all sussed too...but our local tv shop (Fenner) is way too expensive and exclusive..it's for rich gits only! :D :mad:

my next job is to design and build my tv stand :D