1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Price for Quad 11L's?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Timbo21, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Can anyone tell me of an online retailer for the Quad 11L's. Is it possible to get them below £379? Everyone seems to do them at this price. There doesn't
    seem to be the variations in price like you might get with DVD recorders.

Thx.

T.

2. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Some companies are very strict about what prices retailers sell their products for.. i bought my ones for the same price nearly 18 months ago now!

DVD recorders generally are sold by box-shifting net retailers whereas the quads are sold by dedicated hi-fi shops without the support of places like comet/currys/unbeatable etc

If you really want them cheaper then consider 2nd hand or ex dem maybe?

3. banman

banman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Apparently Quad fix their prices and if a retailer discounts them, they can lose distribution contract. Like Kef dont allow their products to be posted...

Shame I really fancy 22L's.

B.

4. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Howdy Tim,

Prices as mentioned have remained static for some time and if anything should be expected to increase(???) rtaher than be discounted.

Good prices to be had from ex-demo & 2nd hand.

I live in Asia where they are manufactured, and there seems to be a 'standard' discount of 25% which makes them a steal, so..... next time you're on holiday consider buying and hand carrying :))

Hope this helps.

PS: They are bl**dy good!
    HT

5. Justhandguns

Justhandguns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Quads are made in the Asia? Where about? I thought they are made in Europe!?

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The only place you'll probably find it cheaper on the net is eBay.

7. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. ommadawn

ommadawn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pair of Quad 21L's just gone for £300!! on ebay. Bargain!! :eek:

9. Justhandguns

Justhandguns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wharfedale and Quad, made in China...... that is a bit disappointing. Although I know that things made in China nowadays are of very good quality, but still, it doesn't justify the price tag on some of these speakers if they are made there. Well, like the cheaper Tannoys, which are made in Malaysia, but they are so cheap that you can't complaint much about them afterall. But Quads? We are saying speakers costing over 300quids! Come on! I know why people are moving away from some of these brands now and turn to the British made good stuffs.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The traditional way to audition speakers is primarily by listening to them and then looking at them and not by reading the labels on the back. Judging by your few posts to date you seem to have an obsession on where things are made that is completely irrelevant.

I have looked at and listened to Quad speakers and the sound produced is as good to listen to as the cabinetry is to look at and I think that the £399 for a pair of Quad 11 is very cheap and if those same speakers were to be manufacturd in the UK they would costs significantly more with no extra value to the customer at all

11. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    In the end the quads are excellent speakers, especially for the money, &
    beautifully finished. It's nice to see China delivering a quality product.

12. squirrely

squirrely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Iv'e got the quad12l's and a center and the quality of sound for the money is fantastic imo,the finish is also great and i dont think could be bettered wherever they are made. personally i cant understand why people think we would make the quads better here. The only reasonable argument could be that the management may be greedy scumbags and only have them made in China because they can pay the workers a pittance.

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Quads are amazing in their price bracket, I LOVE my 21L's, and am EXTREMELY jealous that someone got them for £300 on ebay :eek: That is an absolute steal of a price.

As for getting a discount, call the stores and ask, many will be happy to take some money off if you are guaranteed to buy, they are not allowed to advertise discounted prices, Quad are not the only ones that do this, KEF, B&W and Marantz are just a few who do not like advertising discounts in the retail channels.

Build a good relationship with a dealer and you reap the rewards with sterling service and great prices.

I currently use forum sponsers AV Land (www.avland.co.uk), and they never let me down, other forum sponsers also have a superb reputation, AV Sales, BK Electronics and Peter Tyson are three that spring to mind immediately, and two of those are more than willing to price match I'd say (BK are direct to market sellers for their subs and majority if not all of their other stock). Go in and haggle, no harm in it :), but I also have a rule where I never disclose the prices I obtain things for, it isn't fair on the dealer to do so in my opinion, and if anyone asks me I reply, I paid retail ;) :).

14. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I ended up buying from sevenoaks in Weybridge. Really got on well with Steve,
    who runs it. He managed to do me a good package deal for the quads, 7205 pj, denon 3805 & 3910, + cables etc. So I'm very happy with the price & service. Just have to wait until I've decorated before I can set it all up. :)